5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT Multi Function Tailgate Issues

HarlyFan

Reaction score
I have not had my truck long, but one thing I have noticed is that I am having issues with my MFT. When I open it to the side and not drop the entire gate down and try to close the swing gate it is not fully closing even though I am slaming it pretty good. I will get a pop up on the dash that the gate is not closed. I initially thought it was catching on the factory bed cover (limited) so I tried closing it with the cover open and got the same results. Is there an easy adjustment or do I need to plan a trip to the dealer for adjustment?

WilburNJ

Reaction score
I have not had my truck long, but one thing I have noticed is that I am having issues with my MFT. When I open it to the side and not drop the entire gate down and try to close the swing gate it is not fully closing even though I am slaming it pretty good. I will get a pop up on the dash that the gate is not closed. I initially thought it was catching on the factory bed cover (limited) so I tried closing it with the cover open and got the same results. Is there an easy adjustment or do I need to plan a trip to the dealer for adjustment?
I had issues with the gate showing that it wasn’t closed when it clearly looked closed and often needed to slam each of the gates really hard. But, that problem lasted about a month or two and then went away.

I bought my 2020 1500 in December (2019), so I hope that this problem doesn’t return when it starts getting cold again.....

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We had a similar problem with our Limited. Tailgate ajar indicator would light up even after slamming the gate. It cleared up on it's own after a week or two. Haven't seen it again since early May.

sws2ndRAM

Reaction score
Had same thing happen on a '20 Laramie. Several slams and a tiny bit of dust/dirt wiped away from the close sensor, and all is good.

Rexx

Reaction score
Yeh I had this issue for the first month or so that I had my truck.

Seemed to fix itself, hasn’t happened the last 5 months or so.

Users who are viewing this thread