5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Must have options on your RAM

What is your list of options?

• Total voters

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me 2 must haves are ram boxes and blind side monitoring. Right below those 2 would be Adaptive Cruise Control and air suspension which I would like but would probably willing to give up based on price and availability.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Rau

Reaction score
Big Horn might be different than Laramie in that regard. I should have specified Laramie.
I didn't know that either before I started playing with Big Horn in configuration. My wife says seat vent is a must, but I was hoping to spend less with more options like Rambox, MFT, 33 G tank etc.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Its pretty basic now-a-days, but heated seats/steering wheel should be in the list, IMO. My wife will never allow us to get another vehicle without it.
A ton of the features are nice-to-haves, but wouldn't be "deal breakers" for me.

And just my grammar nazi alter ego... it should be "Trailer Brake Control" not "break". :)

I also wish they had 6.4 bed with Rambox.

I wish they would too. If they had, I would have got the longer bed.
My guess is once the 2500s/3500s start using the newer Rambox style, and they start offering it on their 6.4' foot beds, they will also offer it on the 1500s. Thats how it happened on the 4th gens, if memory serves.

Reactions: Rau

CJR28

Reaction score
I also wish they had 6.4 bed with Rambox.
I was originally holding out on buying a fifth gen until Ram offered this. I actually considered buying a used 17’ Laramie with the 6’4” bed ramboxes but it sold before I could make an offer.

Drewster

Reaction score
Love the air suspension, love the etorque on my stop/go commute, love radar cruise control when towing. Kinda wish I had the 33 gallon tank so I didn't have so much range anxiety when towing.

Last edited:

Rau

Reaction score
And just my grammar nazi alter ego... it should be "Trailer Brake Control" not "break". :)
I wish there are only grammar nazis in the world :)

I am not sure if I can fix it. When I go edit it only lets me add to the list, but no option to edit previous items. :(

Turin

Reaction score
33 gallon tank obviously isn't needed unless you're trekking hundreds of miles without fuel stations, but it's just really nice to have.
IMO the 33 gallon tank is a must have if you plan to tow.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IMO the 33 gallon tank is a must have if you have a full size truck.
Fixed it for you :D

I have the 23 gallon tank and it sucks having to stop for gas as often as I do, not towing or hauling anything. That 10 extra gallons would allow me to go another two or three days before stopping. I'm worried about wearing out the capless filler flap :ROFLMAO: I can only imagine how often I'd be stopping if I was regularly towing stuff.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
33 Gallon tank for the win! Drove 6 hours to the coast two weeks ago and arrived without having to look for a gas station, I filled up when I came upon one like two days later.

Rau

Reaction score
I agree about 33 Gallon Tank. Why is it not part of standard equipment?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree about 33 Gallon Tank. Why is it not part of standard equipment?!
Exactly!

I took LSD over e-locker, but they both seem a bit pointless. Traction control systems mimic an LSD through braking (though not as effective),
I thought that too but my last Ram had an open diff. It was awful trying to get out into traffic when it was raining. Just some spin from the inside wheel then the TCS coming down like a hammer killing the power. The LSD diff fixed that nightmare

ClancyO

Reaction score
The 33 gallon tank was the one thing my truck didn’t have that was on my must have list, but because it ticked all the other boxes and was (to me in my experience) quite a unicorn I convinced myself it’s ok. It has the extra body mount already for the 33 gallon tank, so if it REALLY bugs me, I’ll add a 33 later with junkyard parts. For now, two 5 gallon plastic cans will have to provide self rescue services in those long desert stretches..

Ohh - and proxy key & rain sensing wipers. Their absence on my big horn REALLY annoyed me.

Vilas15

Reaction score
I guess Im the only one happy with the 26 gallon tank. I can go two weeks without filling up just going to work. My jeep got the same gas mileage and had a 15 gallon tank so thats where Im coming from.

CJR28

Reaction score
The 33 gallon tank was the one thing my truck didn’t have that was on my must have list, but because it ticked all the other boxes and was (to me in my experience) quite a unicorn I convinced myself it’s ok. It has the extra body mount already for the 33 gallon tank, so if it REALLY bugs me, I’ll add a 33 later with junkyard parts. For now, two 5 gallon plastic cans will have to provide self rescue services in those long desert stretches..

Ohh - and proxy key & rain sensing wipers. Their absence on my big horn REALLY annoyed me.
The proxy key is another feature the big horn should of came with. The rain sensing wipers can be added by replacing the temperature sensor on the windshield and turning on the feature via alphaobd

Drewster

Reaction score
I guess Im the only one happy with the 26 gallon tank. I can go two weeks without filling up just going to work. My jeep got the same gas mileage and had a 15 gallon tank so thats where Im coming from.
Yeah, the stock size is fine for my commute too, but if you tow something long distances you're looking at about 300 miles between fill-ups. The further out you get, the more that remaining ~20 miles of slack gets to be a nail-biter if fuel stations are far apart. On top of that, crowded gas stations with a trailer are just annoying.

With a 33 gallon tank, the stops are more like 460 miles apart, so the stops really come down to when *you* want them to be.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep stock 27 gallon tank is fine with me but I do some long commutes sometimes heading to other jobs so the 33 gallon would be even better but no biggie. Actually the only option on my built ram builder spec sheet that I didn’t end up with since I found my current truck at the local dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep stock 27 gallon tank is fine with me but I do some long commutes sometimes heading to other jobs so the 33 gallon would be even better but no biggie. Actually the only option on my built ram builder spec sheet that I didn’t end up with since I found my current truck at the local dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stock sizes on the new Ram 1500 are 23, 26, and 33. No 27 gallon size. Honestly I thought my truck was coming with a 26 gallon tank. That was the standard size for 4th gens. And I would probably be fine with that. But for some strange reason (perhaps to slightly raise payload?) many come with the 23 gallon tank. It's not something that will make me trade this truck in, but my next one will have the biggest tank I can get.

Users who are viewing this thread