5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS 4" vs. Rough Country 5" for 2020 Air Suspension

jasnak

Reaction score
I am a little concerned about this info so I am looking into it. I am a CDJR parts manager and have looked up the part #'s for both shafts. The part # for the 5.7 front drive shaft is 68259561AA, and the part # for the ecodiesel front drive shaft is 68259562AA, so there is a difference. I don't have access to engineering dimensions, but I do have access to weights. The Eco shaft is almost a ound lighter. I am going to go pull a 5.7 and my Eco-diesel truck in the shop later today and measure the drive shaft lengths. The BDS 5.7 kit came with a spacer for the front shaft. If the difference was actually 4 in., I don't see how the shaft would have been long enough to engage the splines of the transfer case..
is one aluminium and the other one not?

TXECOD

Reaction score
Ok, after a very quick inspection and measurement of my BDS lifted ecodiesel limited front driveshaft vs a stock height hemi Limited , there IS a difference in length. The Hemi shaft is 4.5" longer. However, with the front drive shaft spacer BDS supplied installed, along with the diff drop they supplied, the installed EcoDeisel front shaft looks identical to the Hemi in every way. In normal mode on my truck compared to normal mode on the hemi, the gaps/spaces are identical between the shaft and the transfer case of both trucks. I suspect the reason for the difference in length may be due to the bigger transfer case the Ecodiesel has over the hemi. I am going to check the shaft angle at the transfer case, as well as look at the gaps between the couple and case in all height modes when I have some more time. I am still slightly concerned, but I believe the kit will be fine. As I said before, my opinion is that the shaft is a different length due to the different transfer cases.....

Big Will

Reaction score
Thanks for the info TXECOD. Keep us posted if you check the shaft angle at all height modes.

Big Will

Reaction score
TXECOD....did you ever get a chance to check the front drive shaft angle at all height modes? Thanks!

jblack17

Reaction score
I have 2020 limited with air ride, went with RC lift, ride great View attachment 67675 View attachment 67676
looks awesome!!

I have a limited with the same lift and 35x12.5x20 with FUEL wheels a white Limited. Rides great! Looks great!

Question: have you put any weight in it? I picked up a load this weekend. Only about 1500 lbs. the right rear air shock failed and completely blew off the truck.... Its getting fixed today. The payload limit says 2300.

Anyone hear of any issues like this?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
looks awesome!!

I have a limited with the same lift and 35x12.5x20 with FUEL wheels a white Limited. Rides great! Looks great!

Question: have you put any weight in it? I picked up a load this weekend. Only about 1500 lbs. the right rear air shock failed and completely blew off the truck.... Its getting fixed today. The payload limit says 2300.

Anyone hear of any issues like this?

Haha that sucks man.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
when i got the truck back it turns out the lift kit was fully intact and fine.

Fault was the air shock. Probable cause unknown. Dealership thought faulty from factory
2300 sounds like a very high payload for a Limited. Mine is around 1400 limited crew cab. Maybe the absolute best Ram payload would be 2300 which would be a long bed tradesman or something. Basically the least expensive Ram you can buy. A pound of options reduces a pound of payload

jblack17

Reaction score
2300 sounds like a very high payload for a Limited. Mine is around 1400 limited crew cab. Maybe the absolute best Ram payload would be 2300 which would be a long bed tradesman or something. Basically the least expensive Ram you can buy. A pound of options reduces a pound of payload
thanks. I'll absolutely take the reccomendation.

Maybe I would have better luck with a small trailer

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
Mine is in the shop now getting this lift. What are your thoughts so far? Mine is the EcoDiesel so I’m really curious since I have not seen one yet. Keeping the stock 22” from the black Appearance package but adding 35” Milestar Patagonia MT. What did you use to correct the speedo? Possible to send fender height in OR2 and Normal? Assuming you’re on 35”?
Here’s a pics of mine. 5” RC lift. View attachment 72075

jblack17

Reaction score
Here’s a pics of mine. 5” RC lift. View attachment 72075
Looks awesome. Only difference is mine is white.

Since my mishap with busted airbag on shocks I've bought a trailer. Found out the max payload is only 1300lbs on the limiteds. Trailer working great for bigger loads. No problems.

Great choice on wheels also. Tires look great...I have the Toyo R/T 35x12.5.20. Ride real quiet

Utemachine

Reaction score
Mine is in the shop now getting this lift. What are your thoughts so far? Mine is the EcoDiesel so I’m really curious since I have not seen one yet. Keeping the stock 22” from the black Appearance package but adding 35” Milestar Patagonia MT. What did you use to correct the speedo? Possible to send fender height in OR2 and Normal? Assuming you’re on 35”?
I love it, It rides super smooth. I like the look in OR1 and wish it were that height but of course that’s the trade off with air ride. I used the RC calibrator to correct the speedo. I went with 325/60/20’s which are noticeably bigger than 35’s. I had the tire shop mount up a 35 on one side and the 325’s on the other and the 35’s looked a little whimpy in comparison.

MK81

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I know that the thread has been cold for a month but I was wondering if anyone with thee RC lift can share their driving experience. From what I gather, it is a bit rough when compared to the BDS. I have a 2020 Longhorn with air suspension and I am looking at 22x10 wheels with 35” tires. Most likely will go with the Fuel Blitz and ridge grapplers. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread