5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on tire pressure

dougf

Reaction score
Picked up the new 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie last Friday and took it for a short trip on Saturday (~300 miles.) I noticed the tpms reading were averaging 46-47lb on all 4 tires, which seemed high to me. I checked the door sticker and see that tire pressure should be at 36, so it came from the factory (or the dealership) around 10lb over the recommended pressure. I checked it the next morning with a guage (cold) and the pressure was in the 48lb range. I didn't check the cold pressure on the tpms by taking it for a short ride while the tires were cold, but I have since noticed the tpms runs ~2-3lbs lower than guage pressure on two different guages, and about 1 lb less pressure than another guage. I'm not quite sure which (between the guages and tpms) is more accurate, but I have a feeling the tpms is reading low. Just to be safe, I'm going to bump the pressure up to ~40 on the tpms by using a guage to put it at 42-43 (and add about 5 more when towing.)

Does anyone have more insight into this and see anything wrong with this strategy?

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I tool delivery of my 2019 last year. I was told that the factory over inflates them so they dont have any issues leaking down if the truck ends up setting on the lot for a long time. Could have just been dealer talk, but the only answer I got.

I would just set it at what is comfortable for you. Ive never compared TPMS to an actual pressure gauge, but a couple PSI variance likely wont make a huge difference. I currently run mine in the mid-high 30's cold which turns into high 30's to 40 when hot.

Good luck!

dougf

Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I tool delivery of my 2019 last year. I was told that the factory over inflates them so they dont have any issues leaking down if the truck ends up setting on the lot for a long time. Could have just been dealer talk, but the only answer I got.

I would just set it at what is comfortable for you. Ive never compared TPMS to an actual pressure gauge, but a couple PSI variance likely wont make a huge difference. I currently run mine in the mid-high 30's cold which turns into high 30's to 40 when hot.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I think I'll do the same.

varnerme

Reaction score
Rebel calls for 55 front and 45 back. When I picked mine up all 4 were around 65, so I lowered to recommended pressure. I think they come from the factory that way.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, they come over inflated because they can sit for months and over-inflating reduces chance of flat spotting.

The dealership is supposed to adjust the pressures down before delivery, but they forget almost all the time.

BGC

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for some tire pressure advice so I’m confident this group can help....I have 35x12.5x22 Toyo r/t tires and do have a 3.5 inch lift as well. Rookie question but should I just be following the psi guidelines from Toyo or should I be adjusting for the lift at all? I just use as a daily driver and nothing off-road or off pavement teally even. Thanks for any input!

lenbong

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for some tire pressure advice so I’m confident this group can help....I have 35x12.5x22 Toyo r/t tires and do have a 3.5 inch lift as well. Rookie question but should I just be following the psi guidelines from Toyo or should I be adjusting for the lift at all? I just use as a daily driver and nothing off-road or off pavement teally even. Thanks for any input!

I’d just follow the rec. from Toyo, the lift shouldn’t have much of an impact on the tires. I’m just glad to hear you aren’t setting them to the 36/38psi that’s recommended for the factory wheels lol, working on 15-20 trucks a day I see tons of people setting their big D or E load tires to like 35 psi and it hurts me inside haha

• Haha
Reactions: BGC

BGC

Reaction score
I’d just follow the rec. from Toyo, the lift shouldn’t have much of an impact on the tires. I’m just glad to hear you aren’t setting them to the 36/38psi that’s recommended for the factory wheels lol, working on 15-20 trucks a day I see tons of people setting their big D or E load tires to like 35 psi and it hurts me inside haha
Thanks!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked up the new 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie last Friday and took it for a short trip on Saturday (~300 miles.) I noticed the tpms reading were averaging 46-47lb on all 4 tires, which seemed high to me. I checked the door sticker and see that tire pressure should be at 36, so it came from the factory (or the dealership) around 10lb over the recommended pressure. I checked it the next morning with a guage (cold) and the pressure was in the 48lb range. I didn't check the cold pressure on the tpms by taking it for a short ride while the tires were cold, but I have since noticed the tpms runs ~2-3lbs lower than guage pressure on two different guages, and about 1 lb less pressure than another guage. I'm not quite sure which (between the guages and tpms) is more accurate, but I have a feeling the tpms is reading low. Just to be safe, I'm going to bump the pressure up to ~40 on the tpms by using a guage to put it at 42-43 (and add about 5 more when towing.)

Does anyone have more insight into this and see anything wrong with this strategy?
Lol mine were at 50psi and I bought my Ram CPO. I aired them down to 40 based on temp changes here in Vegas. Haven't had any issues. I've noticed that slightly over the mark is way better than at or under the printed psi label.

Users who are viewing this thread