5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

offroading!

rek21

Reaction score
my wife and i lived in chicago until about three months ago. we moved to colorado and love it so much!

there is obviously a ridiculous amount of trails in colorado and today i put the rebel 12 crew cab through its first trail. devils canyon in idaho springs. rated as moderate, pretty tight and a couple steep spots with LOTS of dispersed camping sites and great views of the surrounding valleys. the ram handled it amazingly for how big it was and how tight the trail got. 4 hi the whole way, only scraped my mud flaps which will probably be coming off soon, and only had to turn the locker on in two spots. with a little guidance in those spots from my buddy, made it through with no issues. even had her teetering on two wheels!

the one picture of the trail doesnt do it justice, those dips are about 3 feet deep! it was tight enough to earn myself a few trail scratches, but, hey, its built to be driven offroad right?? dont wanna be that guy who buys an offroad truck and doesnt take it offroad... i bought a rebel not a raptor.

cant wait to do more trails!

ill get some better action shots next time, i was too excited to be driving up a mountain in my rebel to take good photos!

EDIT: i was def in 4 hi the whole way, not 4 low...

Attachments

• IMG_5963.jpeg
    IMG_5963.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_5964.jpeg
    IMG_5964.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

rek21

Reaction score
oh man those rebels look good!

do you rub at all with that setup??

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh man those rebels look good!

do you rub at all with that setup??
Not one bit. I removed the splash gaurd on the corner of the wheel well and cut the tab off that its bolted on to and zip tied the plastic liner back. E-Z money
What trails do you go to bro? I’ve only heard of cleghorn up the street from me but still haven’t gone because my truck is still factory
Oh nice I have family in Hesperia so I go out that way a lot. I hit too many trails to list but Hungry Valley and Silverwood Lake are the most frequent.

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Not one bit. I removed the splash gaurd on the corner of the wheel well and cut the tab off that its bolted on to and zip tied the plastic liner back. E-Z money

Oh nice I have family in Hesperia so I go out that way a lot. I hit too many trails to list but Hungry Valley and Silverwood Lake are the most frequent.
Do you know if I can do those just with th factory ORP or need a lift kit

rek21

Reaction score
hijack away!

might be kind of cool if we had stickies for each region to discuss trails.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Don't worry too much about pin striping your truck on some branches. I have tons of them. With a good buff/wax it gets rid of most of it. Dirt covers them up pretty good too :) The outside of my truck is hard to keep clean, but as long as I keep the leather clean on the inside it still feels like a new truck lol.

As you saw, it's better to have some flex to mud flaps if you go off-road. Otherwise they can get caught on something and torn off and possibly damage the truck.
I use these. I just cut them to fit my truck and used the already existing fender liner hardware to mount them.

These have saved my truck a few times already, but they will not work if you have the 33 gallon tank. But I bet you could get them to work if you attach them with welds.

rek21

Reaction score
Don't worry too much about pin striping your truck on some branches. I have tons of them. With a good buff/wax it gets rid of most of it. Dirt covers them up pretty good too :) The outside of my truck is hard to keep clean, but as long as I keep the leather clean on the inside it still feels like a new truck lol.

As you saw, it's better to have some flex to mud flaps if you go off-road. Otherwise they can get caught on something and torn off and possibly damage the truck.
I use these. I just cut them to fit my truck and used the already existing fender liner hardware to mount them.

These have saved my truck a few times already, but they will not work if you have the 33 gallon tank. But I bet you could get them to work if you attach them with welds.

yeah theres only one or two that might require a little extra elbow grease to get rid of. i think im over it... for the leather i love the chemical guys leather products.

i love those sliders, those are the ones im going to go for, but going to wait a bit. baby #2 is on the way and that would be a hard sell to the young wife right now!

i was looking at mudflaps like those. mine are flexibleish, but not flexible like those. that would be a wise choice.

Cease11

Reaction score
Good seeing people actually use these rebels to off road! 3E93BBB7-FDCC-40AE-8BEF-6B8017B7E6B2.jpeg EFDEC6C5-4B30-4B4E-B2D3-D75DD7A29C86.jpeg

I broke cv joint at pilot rock near cleghorn a few weeks back on that hill. Tire went off the ground and came back down spinning too fast

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good seeing people actually use these rebels to off road! View attachment 61790 View attachment 61791

I broke cv joint at pilot rock near cleghorn a few weeks back on that hill. Tire went off the ground and came back down spinning too fast
Pilot rock is awesome lol but I never take my rebel through those crawling pitted parts lol I hate that it 3 wheels and the wheel base is too long so I dont enjoy it. How did the warranty process work out for you? Did they cover it?

Cease11

Reaction score
Pilot rock is awesome lol but I never take my rebel through those crawling pitted parts lol I hate that it 3 wheels and the wheel base is too long so I dont enjoy it. How did the warranty process work out for you? Did they cover it?

I didn’t even try going thru the insurance lol. Just had my buddy order the part and he installed it. Not sure if insurance would cover off road damage ?

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t even try going thru the insurance lol. Just had my buddy order the part and he installed it. Not sure if insurance would cover off road damage ?
I went mudding at Azusa and broke a serpentine belt tensioner with mud and rocks. I also had an issue with my mirror motors not closing and they replaced as well even though they were full of scratches. I assume because its a rebel they dont really question it much. Maybe the only reason for them to void your warranty would be due to oversized tires but thats pushing it. I'm cool with my service advisor from Glen E. Thomas Dodge in Signal Hill Ca.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
my wife and i lived in chicago until about three months ago. we moved to colorado and love it so much!

there is obviously a ridiculous amount of trails in colorado and today i put the rebel 12 crew cab through its first trail. devils canyon in idaho springs. rated as moderate, pretty tight and a couple steep spots with LOTS of dispersed camping sites and great views of the surrounding valleys. the ram handled it amazingly for how big it was and how tight the trail got. 4 hi the whole way, only scraped my mud flaps which will probably be coming off soon, and only had to turn the locker on in two spots. with a little guidance in those spots from my buddy, made it through with no issues. even had her teetering on two wheels!

the one picture of the trail doesnt do it justice, those dips are about 3 feet deep! it was tight enough to earn myself a few trail scratches, but, hey, its built to be driven offroad right?? dont wanna be that guy who buys an offroad truck and doesnt take it offroad... i bought a rebel not a raptor.

cant wait to do more trails!

ill get some better action shots next time, i was too excited to be driving up a mountain in my rebel to take good photos!

EDIT: i was def in 4 hi the whole way, not 4 low...
Welcome to CO! Great to see a Ram on the trails. pulled my front valance off, ordered the Mopar lift, getting a different tire setup, and also ordered some off road lights in order to get on more trails. Took it off a little and realized I need better clearance overall. But super excited to get out more with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread