5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Electronic Shift-On-Demand Transfer Case?

beemerb0y

Reaction score
What is Electronic Shift-On-Demand Transfer Case? I dont see it as an option when building a 2020 Ram Rebel Crew Cab 4x4 online, but some window stickers show this $195 option. Confused what this is exactly. Thanks

Kooch80

Reaction score
basically Ram has two different transfer cases. Rebel only comes with the e-locker. the transfer case you are asking about is the one that has 4auto. there are a couple of threads on here that talk about the differences more in depth.

beemerb0y

Reaction score
basically Ram has two different transfer cases. Rebel only comes with the e-locker. the transfer case you are asking about is the one that has 4auto. there are a couple of threads on here that talk about the differences more in depth.

this is on a few Rebel 4x4 with Hemi 5.7 I am looking at, so a bit confused why some window stickers have it, and some dont.. and i dont see it on the online configurator

Kooch80

Reaction score
the auto transfer case is standard on most models, that is the most likely reason it shows on window stickers. if you keep looking on the window sticker you will find e-locker on there in the optional equipment

scratch that. i just looked at my window sticker and it does not mention the transfer case at all. you can always pull the build sheet with the VIN number.

Last edited:

beemerb0y

Reaction score
the auto transfer case is standard on most models, that is the most likely reason it shows on window stickers. if you keep looking on the window sticker you will find e-locker on there in the optional equipment

scratch that. i just looked at my window sticker and it does not mention the transfer case at all. you can always pull the build sheet with the VIN number.

Rebel has standard E-locker, and has auto4wd standard too

Kooch80

Reaction score
below is taken from another thread.

The 48-11 (44-44) uses clutches to engage 4wd, even in 4wd lock.

The 48-12 (44-45) in the Rebel uses a direct chain drive.

The 48-11 (44-44) never locks and actually switches in and out of 2wd 4wd while operating.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
below is taken from another thread.

The 48-11 (44-44) uses clutches to engage 4wd, even in 4wd lock.

The 48-12 (44-45) in the Rebel uses a direct chain drive.

The 48-11 (44-44) never locks and actually switches in and out of 2wd 4wd while operating.
The transfer case and ELocker are completely unrelated. Any non-Rebel 4x4 with the ORG (like mine) has both auto 4WD and ELocker, for example.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rebel and Tradesman get the part time transfer case.

All other trims get the shift on demand transfer case.

The eLocker is in the rear end.

A REBEL only comes equiped with it. No other option.

All other trims can either get the elocker as a seperate option or with the off road group.standard is open diff and also the anti spin option.

Part time is 2wd 4wd high and 4wd low

Shift on demand has 4 auto 4 lock and 4 low.

The elocker has nothing to do with the transfer case.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rebel and Tradesman get the part time transfer case.

All other trims get the shift on demand transfer case.

The eLocker is in the rear end.

A REBEL only comes equiped with it. No other option.

All other trims can either get the elocker as a seperate option or with the off road group.standard is open diff and also the anti spin option.

Part time is 2wd 4wd high and 4wd low

Shift on demand has 4 auto 4 lock and 4 low.

The elocker has nothing to do with the transfer case.
Beat you to it...but you were much more thorough ;)

beemerb0y

Reaction score
okay, but still confused what the $195 Electronic shift-on-demand transfer case option is on the Rebel 4x4 as I dont see it anywhere on ram website .. sorry if this was explained above, maybe im just not understanding it

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
okay, but still confused what the $195 Electronic shift-on-demand transfer case option is on the Rebel 4x4 as I dont see it anywhere on ram website .. sorry if this was explained above, maybe im just not understanding it
That means you will have 4auto. In 4auto the front axle is engaged but may or may not be powered. If the rear wheels start slipping, the front axle gets power. That's the On-demand part. So your choices are 2 wheel drive with front axle unlocked, maybe 2 maybe 4 with front axle locked, 4 wheel drive with front axle engaged, and 4 low with front axle engaged.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't think the 4auto was available on the Rebel unless they have it as an option now.
That means you will have 4auto. In 4auto the front axle is engaged but may or may not be powered. If the rear wheels start slipping, the front axle gets power. That's the On-demand part. So your choices are 2 wheel drive with front axle unlocked, maybe 2 maybe 4 with front axle locked, 4 wheel drive with front axle engaged, and 4 low with front axle engaged.

yea I don't think the 4wd auto system is available. Would be kind of odd to get a rebel with that system as it's not as good for off roading which is what the Rebel is designed for.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where are you seeing it? Can you post a pic?

I do not have a 2020 feature guide, but I would not believe the Rebel to have this option. I am just as curious now as you.

LC101

Reaction score
What is Electronic Shift-On-Demand Transfer Case? I dont see it as an option when building a 2020 Ram Rebel Crew Cab 4x4 online, but some window stickers show this $195 option. Confused what this is exactly. Thanks
As others have stated, the ESOD has the 4wd auto feature. The construction between the two transfer cases is still a mystery to me. Here is the build sheet of a Rebel i considered buying. I ended up choosing a different one with the part time Tcase.

Attachments

• BuildSheetServlet (10).pdf
    10.4 KB · Views: 39

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The transfer case and ELocker are completely unrelated. Any non-Rebel 4x4 with the ORG (like mine) has both auto 4WD and ELocker, for example.
This. The E-locker has nothing to do with what transfer case is in the truck. If it wasn't modern electronic...then it would make a difference (based on Jeep years and years ago as well as Ford's old FX4 series). This is how they can add an off road package to a vehicle that's already close to assembled.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Obviously this is an old thread but obviously the rebel does now come with this option. Can someone explain the difference between chowing this option on the rebel or not choosing what the rebel would come with than

Users who are viewing this thread