5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridge Grappler XL or Wrangler UltraTerrain AT

Zoompastu

Reaction score
And what size ridge grappler are you running? He’s looking at P rated which will be 3/32 of an inch less tread then a LT tire.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And what size ridge grappler are you running? He’s looking at P rated which will be 3/32 of an inch less tread then a LT tire.
OEM size: 275/65-18. They are XL rated (116T) and came with 13.5/32" tread depth.

The Ridge Grapplers are only available in XL or E-rated for 275/60-20. The XL has the same 13.5/32" tread depth that mine do and the E-rated is 16.4/32" of tread (along with a bigger price tag and an extra 12lbs/tire).

Zoompastu

Reaction score
OEM size: 275/65-18. They are XL rated (116T) and came with 13.5/32" tread depth.

The Ridge Grapplers are only available in XL or E-rated for 275/60-20. The XL has the same 13.5/32" tread depth that mine do and the E-rated is 16.4/32" of tread (along with a bigger price tag and an extra 12lbs/tire).
Yes, so you have the passenger tire version.... got it

DeDax

Reaction score
Just an update.. I still can't find the GYUT's anywhere. Even Goodyear stores can't seem to track them down. :( at least in my neck of the country. Tire shops are trying to cross sell me into the Ridge Grapplers but I really wanted to give the Ultra's a shot. If anyone is having success getting them, please let me know so I can let my tire shops know.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Discount tire has them exclusively. If one is not in your area you can order them online.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Bumped into a guy today that had a newer set of ultra terrain’s on his GMC diesel. As I was walking up to him and his truck I could see rocks stuck in the tread on the passenger front tire. We were in a gas station parking lot. I asked him how he liked the tires and as I came to the driver side he said he liked them. He said they were quiet and had a nice sidewall design but his only complaint was they hold rocks in the tread, and there were a lot of rocks stuck in the tread on his driver front too.

It was a turn off for me. If I don’t go with the Maxxis RAZR‘s I’ll go with either Nitto ridge grappler‘s or the new Toyo open country AT3.

bvigne01

Reaction score
That's what I did. My local store didn't have them. I ordered online, install in the morning

DeDax

Reaction score
Tire distributors at least locally have very little stock. Most are still closed if they are a Tire Center only due to phased re-openings. I don't see how Tires aren't essential, but I'm not a medical professional or a politician so I concede. That said, my local preferred mechanic shop has access to tire distributors and 275/60/20 were rather limited from both distributors. :(

After searching for tires on my short list and verifying availability I went with the Falken Wild Peak AT3W. My options again were beyond limited, no KO2, No G2's, they had Ridge Grapplers but I really wanted to try something other than Nitto this go around. I'm excited for the Falken's while they weren't at the top of my list they were close and the price was great, much cheaper than the others and the reviews for the Falkens are Fantastic. My Laramie Sport is RC leveled so I hope the Falkens will help fill up the wheel well a little. I will report/picture after install on Tuesday morning.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Tire distributors at least locally have very little stock. Most are still closed if they are a Tire Center only due to phased re-openings. I don't see how Tires aren't essential, but I'm not a medical professional or a politician so I concede. That said, my local preferred mechanic shop has access to tire distributors and 275/60/20 were rather limited from both distributors. :(

After searching for tires on my short list and verifying availability I went with the Falken Wild Peak AT3W. My options again were beyond limited, no KO2, No G2's, they had Ridge Grapplers but I really wanted to try something other than Nitto this go around. I'm excited for the Falken's while they weren't at the top of my list they were close and the price was great, much cheaper than the others and the reviews for the Falkens are Fantastic. My Laramie Sport is RC leveled so I hope the Falkens will help fill up the wheel well a little. I will report/picture after install on Tuesday morning.
Falken AT3W’s are a fantastic tire! Had them on my last truck and was often off-road. They don’t hold rocks and they are quiet. Really good in the snow. They don’t flex and sway in the corners. They are perfect. The only thing is that they are heavy. I sold a lot of sets of them. 99% of customers liked them.

SemperGumby

Reaction score

I've had the AT3Ws for a little over 5k miles, they ride great and definitely don't hold rocks, worked great in snow and I have total confidence in them during very heavy downpours.

DeDax

Reaction score
I'm excited for them for sure. I really wanted to try the Ultra Terrains but the Falkens are seemingly great tires. Review & Pics to come Tuesday after install.

bvigne01

Reaction score
I have a factory set of Falkens off my truck up for sale in the garage sale section. 275/55/20. I just upgraded to the Goodyear tires in 275/60/20. The Falkens only have 100 miles on them

DeDax

Reaction score
The OEM Falkens look like decent tires but I don't believe they are the same as the AT3W. How would you compare the Ultra's to the OEM Falken?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I was going to buy an AT tire, it would be between the Ridge Grappler and the new Toyo AT3. Not a Goodyear fan, but the Falkens are nice too if you're on a budget.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
OEM Falkens are not the same.. gets confusing but the OEM AT3wa is normally sold in Europe and is less aggressive than the AT3w. The AT3w is the one to get.
Budget or not they are just great! They are priced right and are on par with the more expensive competition. They do not lack in quality. They sell more buy being priced just under the Toyo BFG Nitto. I’ve had both and prefer the aftermarket version.
That said they are heavy... now that I have the eco diesel and not off-road much the Toyo AT3 is enticing. Much improved over the AT2 and much lighter then the Falken AT3w.

Falken’s in the snow stick like glue by the way...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OEM Falkens are not the same.. gets confusing but the OEM AT3wa is normally sold in Europe and is less aggressive than the AT3w. The AT3w is the one to get.
As Zoompastu said the Falkens that come with the ORP are the Wildpeak A/T3WA which are more of a street tire compared to the A/T3W tires.

My dad made the switch to the A/T3W and is very happy with then.

Here's the tread difference:

Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA (these are the tires that you get with the ORP):

1594053271510.png

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W:

1594053316821.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread