5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have awesome news for everyone who is stuck at the process of having the sales code added to their VIN.....it is not needed!

I now have successfully functioning passive entry on my 2020 Bighorn, which did not require any restore/replace procedure at the dealer.

After looking back over the list posted by @Jimmy07, and having it still not work, I was not satisfied that it just wasn't possible given everything else you can do without a dealer using AlfaOBD. So, determined not to have to stare at non-functioning passive entry handles in defeat, I went through the entire list one by one and found 2 more entries in addition the the ones listed that were related to Passive Entry. (see the items surrounded by asterisks in the list below)

I had already enabled everything else previously, but I verified everything was still set, made the two additional changes, then disconnected the negative battery terminal. I waited about 30 min, reconnected the battery, and when I pushed the button on the driver's side door handle the doors locked and lights flashed. I couldn't believe it. I must've tried it 20 times over and over just to make sure it wasn't some weird one-off fluke.

If you configure the settings as below using AlfaOBD, disconnect the battery and wait a bit, when you are done you should have a functioning system. Keep in mind this was on a 2020 with the level 2 equipment group and remote start, and I used a full Mopar door harness on each door, however it has been proven to work by just running the additional wires to the handles if you prefer that.

A huge thank you goes out to everyone who has put in so much work on this whole upgrade, that frankly should've come standard on every model. They paved the way for this to be possible.

VehConfig 3 fobik safe enable- YES

VehConfig 3 passive entry present- YES

**ECUConfig 3-Passive Entry Present- YES**

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert no reply- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert on system fault- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert on search timeout- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert per ignition cycle counter- 2

Wireless AP1 Left front- SMART SWITCH

Wireless AP2 Right front- SMART SWITCH

CustSetMenu 1 passive entry CSM present- YES

**Cust.Prog.Features- Passive Entry Unlock All Doors or Approach Door- ENABLED**
Excellent. I can’t believe I missed ECU 3, and that’s the one that did it. I really had a hard time believing the rf hub doesn’t straight up pull the settings from the BCM, since it definitely does for the TPMS thresholds.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have awesome news for everyone who is stuck at the process of having the sales code added to their VIN.....it is not needed!

I now have successfully functioning passive entry on my 2020 Bighorn, which did not require any restore/replace procedure at the dealer.

After looking back over the list posted by @Jimmy07, and having it still not work, I was not satisfied that it just wasn't possible given everything else you can do without a dealer using AlfaOBD. So, determined not to have to stare at non-functioning passive entry handles in defeat, I went through the entire list one by one and found 2 more entries in addition the the ones listed that were related to Passive Entry. (see the items surrounded by asterisks in the list below)

I had already enabled everything else previously, but I verified everything was still set, made the two additional changes, then disconnected the negative battery terminal. I waited about 30 min, reconnected the battery, and when I pushed the button on the driver's side door handle the doors locked and lights flashed. I couldn't believe it. I must've tried it 20 times over and over just to make sure it wasn't some weird one-off fluke.

If you configure the settings as below using AlfaOBD, disconnect the battery and wait a bit, when you are done you should have a functioning system. Keep in mind this was on a 2020 with the level 2 equipment group and remote start, and I used a full Mopar door harness on each door, however it has been proven to work by just running the additional wires to the handles if you prefer that.

A huge thank you goes out to everyone who has put in so much work on this whole upgrade, that frankly should've come standard on every model. They paved the way for this to be possible.

**Cust.Prog.Features- Passive Entry Unlock All Doors or Approach Door- ENABLED**
So what youre saying is us Bighorn owners can now get this feature without having to get in touch with a dealer at all? We just need alphaobd, the harnesses, and handles?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score

dude!! Nice work.

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what youre saying is us Bighorn owners can now get this feature without having to get in touch with a dealer at all? We just need alphaobd, the harnesses, and handles?

If it worked for me I don't see why it wouldn't work for others as well. I have the 8.4 non-nav, so if you have a nav version it may not be instant, but I would imagine it should still work.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excellent. I can’t believe I missed ECU 3, and that’s the one that did it. I really had a hard time believing the rf hub doesn’t straight up pull the settings from the BCM, since it definitely does for the TPMS thresholds.

I think with the right settings enabled, if the parts are there, you should be able to do most things short of programming new fobiks. I'm guessing disconnecting the battery essentially forces the rf hub to re-establish comms with the BCM, and thus update itself to match.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it worked for me I don't see why it wouldn't work for others as well. I have the 8.4 non-nav, so if you have a nav version it may not be instant, but I would imagine it should still work.
Im hoping someone with an 8.4 NAV gets around to doing this with Alphaobd. I have other things id like to do first but this is on my list.

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score

Awesome news! I have a 2019 Rebel with 8.4 non-nav unit. This should work.

Now I just have to get AlphaOBD. I am an Apple user so it looks like I need multiple things. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get squared away? I’m technologically savvy so I’ll be able to handle it once I get it all. Is their someone that sells an all inclusive package? I need the scan tool, the software and an android tablet?

Can a basic amazon fire tablet ($50) handle this?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Now I just have to get AlphaOBD. I am an Apple user so it looks like I need multiple things. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get squared away? I’m technologically savvy so I’ll be able to handle it once I get it all. Is their someone that sells an all inclusive package? I need the scan tool, the software and an android tablet?

TIA

It may be possible to use a PC. I'm also in the same boat.

Would it be possible to get another thread made with specifics once all the processes/materials have been confirmed? That way future users won't have to dig through the thread.

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score

Would it be possible to get another thread made with specifics once all the processes/materials have been confirmed? That way future users won't have to dig through the thread.

Ha! don’t even have a PC, have an iMac, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV .....

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All my stuff has been Apple for a couple of years now, so I just picked up a cheap refurbished Lenovo tablet on Amazon for like $50. It’s sole purpose is for messing with the truck.

You will need:

-Tablet (Android) or Windows PC
-OBD interface (there’s plenty. I got the MX+ since it works with my iPhone for monitoring stuff)
-A bypass for the security gateway to allow you to make changes to the BCM. Without it you can read but not write. I got the one from infotainment, but I believe there are others out there for the 2018 and up vehicles.
-AlfaOBD for whichever platform you will be using (Android or Windows)

You may spend a couple hundred depending on what you go with, but if your dealer isn’t willing to help, or you just don’t want to go through the hassle, this will let you do what you want, as well as having all the gear for future stuff and being able to read your own diagnostic codes, monitor vehicle parameters, and so on.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

TIA

It’s only available for Android an Windows. Amazon fire will work with google play store side loaded. You can also find really cheap newer Android phones for cheap if you search eBay for Android phones with bad esn (cell service not possible). You also need the OBD interface (OBD Link MX Bluetooth preferred), and a security gateway bypass- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

What radio you have doesn’t matter for the feature. Even if the 5” isn’t capable of displaying the passive entry setting, it is toggled on with the AlfaOBD setting “cust.program.features” setting. The 12” radio takes the longest to pull settings from the BCM, followed by the 8.4”, but for those using the windows version, I have a command that can be sent to speed up the process.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’d be willing to do a step-by-step writeup and get screenshots of everything from AlfaOBD if needed to help everyone out and create a how-to thread.

Bram2019

Reaction score

I find it almost shocking that this works considering how locked down that new version of the rfhub is. But if it works for others, congrats on your work. I knew a new rfhub would do nothing. Just shocked that these setting would make their way into the rfhub without witech unlocking it. I remember trying to help a guy out back a few months, but I definetly did not enable all those settings. My only concern right now is the rfhub for 2019 and 2020 are different parts numbers. Hopefully it won't matter

Rhombus

Reaction score
Ordered my parts tonight. Bright white Bighorn. I think I have these correct.

68361306AD Wiring-Front Door $74.65
Tax : Texas (7.44%)
1 $74.65
68361307AC Wiring-Front Door $84.62
1 $84.62
6CV64GW7AD Handle, Outside $79.86
2 $159.72
6CV50GW7AC Exterior Door Handle Cover $6.90
1 $6.90
6CV52GW7AB Exterior Door Handle Cover $7.19

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find it almost shocking that this works considering how locked down that new version of the rfhub is. But if it works for others, congrats on your work. I knew a new rfhub would do nothing. Just shocked that these setting would make their way into the rfhub without witech unlocking it. I remember trying to help a guy out back a few months, but I definetly did not enable all those settings. My only concern right now is the rfhub for 2019 and 2020 are different parts numbers. Hopefully it won't matter

I was surprised at first too which is why I couldn’t believe it was working at all. The only thing I did differently this time compared to past attempts, aside from enabling the additional settings, was leaving the sgw bypass connected until after I had cycled the ignition, disconnected and reconnected the battery, and ran some errands. This shouldn’t make any difference though, as the changes were already written to the bcm during the initial steps.

I wouldn’t think the RF hubs would be different between the 2 years, but who knows the way things are done nowadays.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I was surprised at first too which is why I couldn’t believe it was working at all. The only thing I did differently this time compared to past attempts, aside from enabling the additional settings, was leaving the sgw bypass connected until after I had cycled the ignition, disconnected and reconnected the battery, and ran some errands. This shouldn’t make any difference though, as the changes were already written to the bcm during the initial steps.

I wouldn’t think the RF hubs would be different between the 2 years, but who knows the way things are done nowadays.
We are being told by sources that the new rfhubs are so secure that you should not be able to do this. Even the guy who writes the software for Alfobd was convinced of this. So was I. But if it works, there is no denying this and you will make a lot of guys very happy.

Tazithman

Reaction score
Parts ordered... hoping I got the right harness for both sides. 2020 5.7 etorque big horn lvl 2. If they don't work, I'll likely just splice the harness thats there and return the new ones.

68439512AA
68361306AD

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
I’d be willing to do a step-by-step writeup and get screenshots of everything from AlfaOBD if needed to help everyone out and create a how-to thread.

So when you do this with AlphaOBD is there confirmation that this has enabled passive entry without the new handle installed? Fire tablet, OBD Bluetooth scanner and security bypass will all be here this weekend and before i order all the parts....again. I want to make sure this worked...

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So when you do this with AlphaOBD is there confirmation that this has enabled passive entry without the new handle installed? Fire tablet, OBD Bluetooth scanner and security bypass will all be here this weekend and before i order all the parts....again. I want to make sure this worked...

The Passive Entry setting will show up in the Uconnect settings. However, on my previous attempts, it showed up even without the battery disconnect process. So until all the hardware is in place, you really won't know for sure.

One thing to note, fobik safe will be enabled by default along with passive entry, so if you are in the habit of locking the doors from the button inside the driver's door as you get out, it will auto-unlock and honk the horn 3x.

ethemartian

Reaction score

Yes please - I have never messed around with AlfaOBD and this mod is definitely enough to finally enter this realm.

THANK YOU.

Users who are viewing this thread