5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
I am at work right now but I will plug in the bypass and obd genie again and see if anything changes. I may just go to the dealer and have them reinstall the fobs when it gets cold out. Been thinking about installing an alarm as young kids in my area seem to enjoy breaking into peoples vehicles that are parked outside so maybe with an aftermarket alarm I can regain those options with those fobs?

Someone correct me if l'm wrong, with apfaobd you can turn on the factory alarm.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody actually used AlfaOBD to just enable VehConfig 3 passive entry present, and CustSetMenu 1 passive entry CSM? Then do a battery disconnect for 15 minutes, and a few drive cycles. Once the setting shows up in the radio, see if passive entry “on” will stick when you select it.
I’m the one that did the write up for adding keyless enter n go for the fourth gens, and the RF Hub reset doesn’t actually need to be performed. The only thing that is actually happening with the RF Hub in that situation is, the new FOB is being programmed, and at the same time, the secret key information is being transferred from the PCM to the new RF Hub. None of that needs to happen here, because a new hub isn’t being installed, and a new fob isn’t being programmed.
Another thing that makes me half way think the hub doesn’t need to be reset is- on the fourth gens, in order to change the tire pressure thresholds, you needed to change the PSI thresholds in the BCM first, then reset the RF Hub for the hub to recognize the BCM changes. This was the case with wiTECH also, until FCA took away the ability to change the thresholds in the BCM. On the 2019+ HDs, and the 5th gens, the thresholds can be changed in the BCM, and nothing needs to be done with the RF Hub.The new Hubs seem to recognize the new thresholds after multiple drive cycles, and is reflected in the RF Hub system status.
@Swifty, when you do the restore vehicle configuration, are you just selecting the BCM on the topography screen, then under “activities” selecting “guided diagnostics”, then restore vehicle configuration? I’m just thinking out loud, and could be wrong, but I’m not convinced an RF Hub reset is necessary when using AlfaOBD, so just curious if anyone has tried it.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody actually used AlfaOBD to just enable VehConfig 3 passive entry present, and CustSetMenu 1 passive entry CSM? Then do a battery disconnect for 15 minutes, and a few drive cycles. Once the setting shows up in the radio, see if passive entry “on” will stick when you select it.
I’m the one that did the write up for adding keyless enter n go for the fourth gens, and the RF Hub reset doesn’t actually need to be performed. The only thing that is actually happening with the RF Hub in that situation is, the new FOB is being programmed, and at the same time, the secret key information is being transferred from the PCM to the new RF Hub. None of that needs to happen here, because a new hub isn’t being installed, and a new fob isn’t being programmed.
Another thing that makes me half way think the hub doesn’t need to be reset is- on the fourth gens, in order to change the tire pressure thresholds, you needed to change the PSI thresholds in the BCM first, then reset the RF Hub for the hub to recognize the BCM changes. This was the case with wiTECH also, until FCA took away the ability to change the thresholds in the BCM. On the 2019+ HDs, and the 5th gens, the thresholds can be changed in the BCM, and nothing needs to be done with the RF Hub.The new Hubs seem to recognize the new thresholds after multiple drive cycles, and is reflected in the RF Hub system status.
@Swifty, when you do the restore vehicle configuration, are you just selecting the BCM on the topography screen, then under “activities” selecting “guided diagnostics”, then restore vehicle configuration? I’m just thinking out loud, and could be wrong, but I’m not convinced an RF Hub reset is necessary when using AlfaOBD, so just curious if anyone has tried it.

I initially configured the 2 settings you mentioned in AlfaOBD, and after once cycle, the settings showed up right away (8.4 Non-NAV). I did not disconnect the battery. From what I recall, I could check the box and it would stick, however it did not function. I ended up disabling it again after a couple of days in AlfaOBD because it enabled the FobikSafe, and I usually lock the door from the inside as I get out, so dealing with the honks and auto unlock was annoying. I could have just disabled FobikSafe, but I will hopefully hear back from the dealership soon and just have them do the restore and be on my way.

lrobbi

Reaction score
If this works like you have described that would be a bit of a game changer. Thanks for sharing your experience

racerxxxr

Reaction score
I've been following this thread for a long time now. Is AlfaOBD available for the 2019+ Ram 1500?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering, I tried what @Jimmy07 talked about since I had a few free minutes last night before I mowed, and have had the parts installed l just waiting on the dealer. I’ve probably got 12 ignition cycles after the battery disconnect, along with a sit overnight, and although the setting remains checked in the Uconnect, the system is still unresponsive. So it seems the RF Hub restore is undoubtedly the essential piece to all this, which is pretty much the conclusion that had been previously reached. But it was worth a shot since it didn’t cost me anything but 5 minutes time.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering, I tried what @Jimmy07 talked about since I had a few free minutes last night before I mowed, and have had the parts installed l just waiting on the dealer. I’ve probably got 12 ignition cycles after the battery disconnect, along with a sit overnight, and although the setting remains checked in the Uconnect, the system is still unresponsive. So it seems the RF Hub restore is undoubtedly the essential piece to all this, which is pretty much the conclusion that had been previously reached. But it was worth a shot since it didn’t cost me anything but 5 minutes time.
After more digging, here’s the full list of settings changes for passive entry, as there are a few more than what I’ve seen people try already:

VehConfig 3 fobik safe enable- YES

VehConfig 3 passive entry present- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert no reply- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert on system fault- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert on search timeout- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert per ignition cycle counter- 2

Wireless AP1 Left front- SMART SWITCH

Wireless AP2 Right front- SMART SWITCH

CustSetMenu 1 passive entry CSM present- YES

I’m not sure if It’ll work or not without a hub reset. If not, the only other thing I can think of with the dealer is the RF Hub replace procedure, but you would actually need to install a new RF Hub since the replace procedure isn’t selectable on a current hub that already contains the SKIS secret key information.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After more digging, here’s the full list of settings changes for passive entry, as there are a few more than what I’ve seen people try already:

I’m not sure if It’ll work or not without a hub reset. If not, the only other thing I can think of with the dealer is the RF Hub replace procedure, but you would actually need to install a new RF Hub since the replace procedure isn’t selectable on a current hub that already contains the SKIS secret key information.

Thanks for a more intensive list, I was wondering what else may be tied to it since I know the fobik safe was for sure since it responded the first time I changed the settings. I did disable that last night after enabling the other two. I have looked over the whole list a few times and it gives me a headache trying to find what else may be needed. I will get on Alfa again tomorrow, maybe over lunch if it’s not too hot, and verify all that stuff to see what happens.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I ended up just trying this last night before bed, and left the battery disconnected overnight, and hooked it back up before I left this morning. (I was surprised that I lost no radio or cluster display settings in doing so, I guess I’m used to older vehicle electronics.) I was not able to find the 2 settings for the smart switches, so perhaps they are not on the 5th gens, or maybe I just overlooked them in the long list. All of the fobik safe selections are made when you enable the two for passive entry, I simply verified each one individually. I think I’ve got 4 cycles on the ignition now, and nothing has changed or worked, and I don’t expect that it will. But there was no harm in trying it out.

nco415

Reaction score
Good day all,
I emailed my dealer and this is the response I got back,

'Our parts manager has gone through the system of adding the option GXD and the option is not listed as available to be added to your truck.
Our regional service manager has previously advised that he uses the same system dealers use. did anyone mention the need to change the door modules and/or key fobs as we have found it necessary on some other electrical work.

Perhaps other dealers were adding to higher models that offer the system as an option.'

Any thought?

nco415

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all,
I emailed my dealer and this is the response I got back,

'Our parts manager has gone through the system of adding the option GXD and the option is not listed as available to be added to your truck.
Our regional service manager has previously advised that he uses the same system dealers use. did anyone mention the need to change the door modules and/or key fobs as we have found it necessary on some other electrical work.

Perhaps other dealers were adding to higher models that offer the system as an option.'

Any thought?

nco415
The door modules have nothing to do with passive entry, and all DT Ram RF Hubs and fobs are capable of passive entry. You’re basically at the mercy of FCA on having the sales code added. The only other thing you can do is just buy a new RF Hub, make the settings changes with AlfaOBD, and have the dealer perform the rf hub replace procedure. They’re about $150, but you can offset that cost by not buying the entire door harnesses, and just buy the correct pins and connectors- it two pieces of wire, a connector, and four terminals needed for each door, and is installed just like factory.

Bram2019

Reaction score
That won't work. Do not buy an RF Hub. The problem is still the same. The vehicle needs a live Witech connection to update the bcm with GXD which then transfers to the rf hub. No live witech, it won't work. A crack is needed for the rf hub so it will receive the needed code to activate the door switches. You would think by changing the parameters in the bcm with alfaobd, it would pass on the info to the rfhub. It won't becasue the rfhub needs to be unlocked by witech to receive the needed info. When someone finds a way to crack the rfhub, we will be in business.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That won't work. Do not buy an RF Hub. The problem is still the same. The vehicle needs a live Witech connection to update the bcm with GXD which then transfers to the rf hub. No live witech, it won't work. A crack is needed for the rf hub so it will receive the needed code to activate the door switches. You would think by changing the parameters in the bcm with alfaobd, it would pass on the info to the rfhub. It won't becasue the rfhub needs to be unlocked by witech to receive the needed info. When someone finds a way to crack the rfhub, we will be in business.
I’m not talking about performing the rf hub replace with AlfaOBD, but at the dealer with wiTECH. But first, you have to pull the back seat before you go to the dealer so you can swap the new hub in quickly after you pull into the stall. Enable all the settings with AlfaOBD FIRST. Then have the tech perform the rf hub replace procedure on the new hub. This can not be done on the old hub because it will come up as already having the secret key information from the PCM, so the option will be grayed our. Tell the tech that under no circumstance is he to perform a restore vehicle configuration.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I’m not talking about performing the rf hub replace with AlfaOBD, but at the dealer with wiTECH. But first, you have to pull the back seat before you go to the dealer so you can swap the new hub in quickly after you pull into the stall. Enable all the settings with AlfaOBD FIRST. Then have the tech perform the rf hub replace procedure on the new hub. This can not be done on the old hub because it will come up as already having the secret key information from the PCM, so the option will be grayed our. Tell the tech that under no circumstance is he to perform a restore vehicle configuration.
Won't work. The witech pulls the info from FCA database for your VIN and writes it to the rfhub. It does not pull the info from your bcm. If it did pull from the bcm, it would work. That is the actual problem. Also the reason GXD needs to be in the FCA database for your Vin. If we could unlock the rfhub with an app based program, that would be great. FCA is using a live web based program to do this. They are being very slick about security.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Won't work. The witech pulls the info from FCA database for your VIN and writes it to the rfhub. It does not pull the info from your bcm. If it did pull from the bcm, it would work.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have awesome news for everyone who is stuck at the process of having the sales code added to their VIN.....it is not needed!

I now have successfully functioning passive entry on my 2020 Bighorn, which did not require any restore/replace procedure at the dealer.

After looking back over the list posted by @Jimmy07, and having it still not work, I was not satisfied that it just wasn't possible given everything else you can do without a dealer using AlfaOBD. So, determined not to have to stare at non-functioning passive entry handles in defeat, I went through the entire list one by one and found 1 more entry in addition the the ones listed that were related to Passive Entry. (see the item surrounded by asterisks in the list below)

I had already enabled everything else previously, but I verified everything was still set, made the additional change, then disconnected the negative battery terminal. I waited about 30 min, reconnected the battery, and when I pushed the button on the driver's side door handle the doors locked and lights flashed. I couldn't believe it. I must've tried it 20 times over and over just to make sure it wasn't some weird one-off fluke.

If you configure the settings as below using AlfaOBD, disconnect the battery and wait a bit, when you are done you should have a functioning system. Keep in mind this was on a 2020 with the level 2 equipment group and remote start, and I used a full Mopar door harness on each door, however it has been proven to work by just running the additional wires to the handles if you prefer that.

A huge thank you goes out to everyone who has put in so much work on this whole upgrade, that frankly should've come standard on every model. They paved the way for this to be possible.

**Cust.Prog.Features- Passive Entry Unlock All Doors or Approach Door- ENABLED**

Edited to show that just one additional setting needed to be made, not 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread