5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Time towing with my 1500 looking for advice

rwolfe546

Reaction score
I bought a expandable camper and it weighs 3,462 it came with the weight distribution hitch. Connect truck to trailer made sure to adjust the weight distribution hitch until it was level. I drove it home with Tow haul on and it felt like the trailer was bouncing the back of the truck as if someone was on the rear bumper bouncing. It was not super harsh but it was noticeable. Is this to be expected or is something wrong ?

I have a 2019 bighorn

Last edited:

bhurst10

Reaction score
I towed a auto transport trailer and my car combing weight was around 6500 lbs and I barely noticed it was back there. I have a 19 Limited with air suspension.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NH_Ram

Reaction score
Shouldn't have bounce in the rear like you're describing. Is the trailer new? Tires with uneven wear can get a trailer bouncing and a WD hitch too tight can make it bouncy too as there is no give in the hitch. Check trailer tires closely and run the hitch a little looser. On a trailer that light with what is probably less than 500lbs of tongue weight, you dont even really need a WD hitch.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've experienced that too, and read other reports of this. My guess is that it's due to the progressive coil springs. Seems like heavier loads experience less bouncing, but the light to mid loads experience more.

You can try airbags, like airlift 1000, or for something simpler, sumo or timbren springs (these last 2 are maintenance free, they replace the bumper stops and give you a progressive absorber, they may also help side to side sway).

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a expandable camper and it weighs 3,462 it came with the weight distribution hitch. Connect truck to trailer made sure to adjust the weight distribution hitch until it was level. I drove it home with Tow haul on and it felt like the trailer was bouncing the back of the truck as if someone was on the rear bumper bouncing. It was not super harsh but it was noticeable. Is this to be expected or is something wrong ?

I have a 2019 bighorn
I tow a boat with about a 500lb tongue weight and like @ silver billet mentioned the timbrens SES or sumosprings will help with the bouncing. I have tried both timbren and sumosprings but the sumo springs were much better IMO. The timbrens are a hard rubber and were too harsh when going over bumps while under load. I currently run the sumosprings and they are a much better when under load and not noticeable when unloaded.
Screenshot_20200607-080236.png

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Either of the options above should be fine as long as you’ve checked the trailer tire pressure and tongue weight loading.

Either way you go, you will have plenty of payload for the tongue weight, as opposed to this guy not having enough payload, or common sense:

YouTube video:
Big rock versus little truck:
Witness the dramatic and harrowing one-minute 48-second saga in Low-Definition Vertical Video with rare expert commentary right here!

rwolfe546

Reaction score
The tires are properly inflated. The specs of the the travel trailer say that the hitch weight is 217 pounds

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know much about campers but with such a low tongue weight you probably don't need that WDH. Take it off and then try it again.

silver billet

Reaction score
I don't know much about campers but with such a low tongue weight you probably don't need that WDH. Take it off and then try it again.

It's worth a try, but I noticed the bouncing just towing a decently heavy fishing boat. These suspensions are optimized for ride quality when unloaded, so they spring a little more when something is on the hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread