5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I skipped buying brand new...just got a 2019 bighorn 4x4 Etorque for $28,000...15000 miles on it though lol.

Hawk123456

Reaction score
I did try a search, but couldn't find the answer.

If you qualify for both the USAA and PenFed rebate can you combine them, or is it one or the other? Thanks.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Yep June incentives are worse as I suspected. In TX, Limited 4x4s are still $1500 rebate (not counting Chrysler Capital) so the rebates stayed exactly the same (only add is a $750 non-prime rebate if your credit score is below 620). They got rid of the 0.9/84 and the 0/72 and only have 0/36mo with a $1000 rebate.

GM got worse too. Sierra Denali rebates went from $6500 to $6000 and the 0/84 was replaced with 0/72.

I have to say even though GM’s got worse as well, they are kicking FCA’s butt in incentives. Ram got passed for 2nd in truck sales yet they're taking it lying down. FCA’s incentives are a joke.

At least I know there’s no point looking for the next month :)

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I skipped buying brand new...just got a 2019 bighorn 4x4 Etorque for $28,000...15000 miles on it though lol.
Still saved a lot of depreciation, has a factory warranty left and likely has had the tsb’s and recalls done. Nothing wrong with that!

Kaag

Reaction score
lol these rebates and incentives are going nowhere. June was supposed to be the big deals coming...

BowDown

Reaction score
Theres still July (July 4th sales), I wont really start seriously trying to buy for another 4-5 weeks anyway but once July gets here, I expect that I'll buy something no later than Sept. I'm not in a hurry and I'm not in a bind for a new truck.

BeemerG

Reaction score
I will just have to wait and see that happens till July or August.

nosralc

Reaction score
I am hoping to be a new Ram 1500 owner. But, I could use some help with how best to negotiate the price. I'm fortunate that my wife through a business associate has a CDI code. I'm looking at a Limited with an MSRP of 67K. The invoice is 61.3K. My understanding is that at a minimum with the CDI code, I should get a price of 5% below invoice, which would be 58.2K.

I should be able to do much better than this because my understanding is that with the CDI code the dealer will be reimbursed approx. 5.5% of that price (3.2K). The CDI code also can be used in conjunction with other national and regional incentive cash ($1,500 now I believe).

So my questions are 1) does anyone know if the dealer is still eligible for the holdback on a CDI transaction? 2) any idea how much more I can likely negotiate and how best to approach this with the dealers?

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Incentive Update: Even the $750 sub-prime cash for 2020 (all trims) has been removed in TX so the rebates are literally the same and the financing is gone (0.9/84 and 0/72) except for 0/36 plus $1000 rebate. :ROFLMAO:

They are offering 0/72, 0/60 plus $1000 rebate or $2500 in rebates in TX (Limited 4x4) for 2019s so they are the same rebates for 2019s as well except the 0.9/84 is gone. FCA is only trying to help dealers clear 2019 inventory (but not much of an incentive) and are clearly saying they're not going to help out with 2020s at all right now even though we're a month away from 2021s being produced.

Last edited:

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I am hoping to be a new Ram 1500 owner. But, I could use some help with how best to negotiate the price. I'm fortunate that my wife through a business associate has a CDI code. I'm looking at a Limited with an MSRP of 67K. The invoice is 61.3K. My understanding is that at a minimum with the CDI code, I should get a price of 5% below invoice, which would be 58.2K.

I should be able to do much better than this because my understanding is that with the CDI code the dealer will be reimbursed approx. 5.5% of that price (3.2K). The CDI code also can be used in conjunction with other national and regional incentive cash ($1,500 now I believe).

So my questions are 1) does anyone know if the dealer is still eligible for the holdback on a CDI transaction? 2) any idea how much more I can likely negotiate and how best to approach this with the dealers?

With the CDI code giving you 5% below invoice that will already be better than anything I've seen regarding 2020 Limiteds. In your example of an invoice of $61,300, your 5% below would put you at $58,235 before rebates. If the MSRP is $67,000 that means a discount of $8765 before rebates or about 13.08% off sticker before rebates. I have only seen one dealer (in April) have a bigger discount before rebates (not counting Koons which is 15.5% off MSRP) which was 14.06%....since the end of April, biggest I've seen is 10.6%.

Regarding holdback, at 5% below invoice that is already including all the dealer holdback. On a $67,000 MSRP, the holdback is [($67,000 MSRP -$1695 destination charge)*0.03]=$1959.15. Your invoice you stated was $61,300 so 5% below that is another $3,065 which is greater than the holdback of $1959.15 so you're already at $1,105.85 in back of holdback ($3,065-$1959.15). Other than rebates, I don't see you getting anything else off. That's essentially program pricing with the CDI.

GM is similar. They have program pricing so if you have a supplier code (I do) the price is invoice minus rebates. Can dealers take more money off out of their pocket? Sure they can...will they? Not a chance. My FCA and GM experience isn't based on guessing as I've actively negotiated several dealers and the trend is solid.

Best of luck in your search and hopefully this helped a little.

Last edited:

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Theres still July (July 4th sales), I wont really start seriously trying to buy for another 4-5 weeks anyway but once July gets here, I expect that I'll buy something no later than Sept. I'm not in a hurry and I'm not in a bind for a new truck.

In a typical year I'd agree with you but look at what the big three did for Memorial Day. Nothing. Typically FCA does $500 special rebates for things like Memorial Day, July 4th, etc. etc. The fact that they didn't do anything incentive-wise for Memorial Day tells me they likely won't do anything for July 4th either.

Shanethism

Reaction score
I’m with the others, not even looking until July incentives come out, and I suspect those won’t floor me either. Its their business and since the dealers generally have low inventory I do understand them trying to squeak as much profit out of every unit, but I also think in the long run they are going to fall behind in the “we’ve moved into the #2 spot” race and overall profits will be hurt significantly. At some point they will offer excellent incentives again, and I am fortunate enough to be able to wait until then. Been driving my ‘03 Sport longbox since ‘02, guess I can wait 6 or more months.

BowDown

Reaction score
In a typical year I'd agree with you but look at what the big three did for Memorial Day. Nothing. Typically FCA does $500 special rebates for things like Memorial Day, July 4th, etc. etc. The fact that they didn't do anything incentive-wise for Memorial Day tells me they likely won't do anything for July 4th either.

I think it depends upon what the other two do and how slow sales are. Waiting til August I don't see working because at that point 2021's will be in production and me personally, I wont buy a 2020 at that point and I'm sure im not the only one with that mindset which will leave them needing to do something with the 2020's. Sure, there will be someone to buy them but why willingly put yourself in that position. Keeping these prices where they are will push a good amount of buyers to the used market. I guess we'll see, but I didnt really expect anything for June so no surprise there

Thraxdown

Reaction score
There's just not going to be that many 2020s left by then. Even if they offer big incentives on them there will not be much to choose from.

BeemerG

Reaction score
I for one decided wait for the 2021 Eco Diesel. Unless a great deal jumps at me from nowhere. Current offerings from all three are not that great. Also half of the country still in lockdown, let see what happens come August and September.

cjcollas

Reaction score
I got a new 2020 Laramie 4x4 offroad for 43k, msrp was 59,500. This was end of March.

BLR87

Reaction score
Hesitant to ask this question....but it may be feasible!

Has anyone heard of and/or know if a dealership is able to swap out the stock 26 gallon fuel tank from one truck to the upgraded 33 gallon?

This is a huge factor for me and many legit truck listings are falling short due to this.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread