5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Pressure Issues

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
I had an oil pressure light come on yesterday. Drove home from work (about 30 miles) and pulled into the garage and the oil pressure light came on and the dash was reading 8-9 PSI at idle. I shut it down and checked the dipstick and everything was reading fine. I started it back up and the light was still on.... Reved it a bit and the oil PSI would climb but drop back down to 9-10 PSI. Took it for test drive this morning, got the truck warmed up and same thing, pulled into the drive way and the oil pressure drops to 8 PSI. Any ideas on whats going on here? I have a trip planned this weekend but am worried about the truck.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd have it towed to the dealer for an oil change. Hopefully that fixes it and flushes something out. If not let them diagnose it before you need a new engine. Might be a bad sensor. Might be a bad motor or oil pump.

Stop driving the truck.

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
Might be the platic valve in oil cooler , wellknown issue in europe

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2020-05-21 в 09.01.48.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-05-21 в 09.01.48.png
    666.7 KB · Views: 68

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I wonder if Op ever found out what is going on with his motor?
I finally remembered to check mine today at lunch, had the truck idling for a good hour while on lunch and it dropped all the way down to 18 psi and the engine oil temp was 210-214 is that normal for these motors?

KOOPS

Reaction score
I wonder if Op ever found out what is going on with his motor?
I finally remembered to check mine today at lunch, had the truck idling for a good hour while on lunch and it dropped all the way down to 18 psi and the engine oil temp was 210-214 is that normal for these motors?

Sounds like it may be normal, based on my experience so far. And some other people who are in that general range. I have a Gen3 EcoDiesel.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My EcoDiesel idles at 19-20 PSI, I thought it was low as well, but after talking to other EcoDiesel owners that seems to be the normal idle oil pressure. I was concerned at first too since I was so used to what my 5.7 would idle at.

That said 8-9 is way low and yes, don't drive it, have it towed to the dealer.

KOOPS

Reaction score
My EcoDiesel idles at 19-20 PSI, I thought it was low as well, but after talking to other EcoDiesel owners that seems to be the normal idle oil pressure. I was concerned at first too since I was so used to what my 5.7 would idle at.

That said 8-9 is way low and yes, don't drive it, have it towed to the dealer.

Thx for confirming, I figured this was the case.

Users who are viewing this thread