5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO TAILGATE AJAR WARNING ?? 2020 ram rebel

Doberman11

Reaction score
Just confirmed my bed lights do not come on when the tailgate is opened.
They come on with the door opening, switch in cab, unlocking truck, and switch in OEM bed lights.
Guess I'm okay with that.
Mine come on when I open tailgate. So I have all the lights on dash and pictures on dash, nothing on window sticker.

Last edited:

leadfoot4343

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie I bought in June of 2019 (built 4-19). I first noticed this problem around September of 2019 after installing the OEM style bed lights. I have been having one of my Ram Dealer Tech buddies look up the STAR case periodically for me to see when they have a fix for this.

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
Was hoping someone new about a fix for this . It’s just happened to me again coming home from work . I know I’m at fault for being forgetful but that’s not an excuse . I’ve been very tired at work and sometimes I forget .

Leinhauser01

Reaction score
Was hoping someone new about a fix for this . It’s just happened to me again coming home from work . I know I’m at fault for being forgetful but that’s not an excuse . I’ve been very tired at work and sometimes I forget .
My truck is a 2019 Rebel. It’s never worked. Tried it a few times to see.

xspeedy

Reaction score
It sounds like this issue is specific to having the individual line item that shows you have the warning for the tailgate (LAN). I have a Limited, and it has both the red indicator and the graphic on the center screen In the dash. I don’t have the option explicitly listed on my sticker, but it appears it may be included with something like the park assist feature.

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
I get nothing when open and no bed lights upon open. I found an Alfaobd setting about tailgate ajar today but I don’t have the bypass or obdii here yet to test it.

U

User_21361

My understanding is that this had been purposely disabled due to all the folks that are complaining about the tailgate not closing fully and thus the ajar light always staying on. Until they fix that, I don't believe FCA will re-enable the ajar warning. I too have driven around with my tailgate open a few times because of this. I don't figure it out until I pop it in reverse.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
I got all my stuff in the mail today and downloaded the settings from my vehicle.
Before I did this I identified 2 possible settings that might affect this:

• ECUConfig 4-Tailgate Ajar indication
  • CBC Config I/O-Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar signal input present
Keep in mind my tailgate ajar is NOT working and when I open the bed the overhead light does not come on.

The settings on my vehicle currently are:
ECU config 4 - Tailgate Ajar Indication: Yes
CBC Config IO F pin 26 Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: No

I'm half tempted to change the CBC config and see. I'm pretty certain it wouldn't hurt anything. Before I do has anyone tried this? Perhaps I can find what that pin would be connected to in a wiring diagram somewhere?

Last edited:

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
Ok! Wife and kid left and I cracked a cold one and went for it.
I verified on my build sheet that I had : "Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp"
I did NOT have it on my window sticker.
Confirmed it to be CBC Config IO F pin 26 Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: No
Changing to YES has me working!
Overhead bed lights now coming on when I open the gate as well!!

Attachments

• EADBE220-1D38-42EA-B675-AA0AC9FE1C50.jpeg
    EADBE220-1D38-42EA-B675-AA0AC9FE1C50.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 166
  • BD10DA65-961E-49E2-BBD5-F2557E363136.jpeg
    BD10DA65-961E-49E2-BBD5-F2557E363136.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Ok! Wife and Kids left and I cracked a cold one and went for it.
Confirmed it to be CBC Config IO F pin 26 Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: No
So it's just a matter of a simple programming...

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Ok! Wife and kid left and I cracked a cold one and went for it.

Come on RAM, fix this for the rest of us. As you can see, it’s possible. @RamCares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Phil

Reaction score
So my window sticker doesn't have it listed, but my build sheet does have it (can get yours here https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing)
Can someone take a picture of the suspected hardware/ senor that would be responsible to create this warning. I want to see if I physically have the hardware needed before asking a dealership to troubleshoot software.
Thanks for the build sheet link. Was wondering how folks were finding this build info.
Looks like I have the tailgate alert deal. Guess I need to test it out :)

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can also get the My Ram app and once you put your VIN in, it will list all your equipment, dealer add ons and all.

TX_Phil

Reaction score
Guess I need to ask dealer about this when I go in for recall. My build sheet shows " Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp" but nothing lights up or dings when I open the tailgate. No difference if sitting in park or backing up or in drive. Also tried with tailgate gently closed, not shut hard, no difference. No lights or alerts.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Guess I need to ask dealer about this when I go in for recall. My build sheet shows " Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp" but nothing lights up or dings when I open the tailgate. No difference if sitting in park or backing up or in drive. Also tried with tailgate gently closed, not shut hard, no difference. No lights or alerts.

I contacted Ram Cares and had them elevate this for me. Still no fix but at least it’s been elevated.

Users who are viewing this thread