5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else have a slow moving sunroof?

Damion

Reaction score
My sliding section of my pano roof moves very slow, Ive taken it in to the dealer 2 times for this issue, each time they lube the track, seems to help for a day or so.

Went to close it today and half way closed ( truck parked not moving ) it stopped and reopened, the anti-pinch feature kicked in because there's so much drag somewhere in the mechanism. I cleaned the track as best I could and resprayed it with the same stuff the tech at the dealership used ( fluid film ) and still its moving slow.

Im thinking the issue isn't in the track but what connects the motor to the sliding frame that has some kind of buildup in it causing a fair amount of friction. You can hear the motor working hard to open / close the roof and there are times when a snapping noise can be heard as well.

Just curious if anyone else has had this happen and what was done to correct the issue??

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Haven’t noticed that but likely it’s what you think, a drag on the mechanism. The snapping noise isn’t normal or good either.
Maybe go back and tell them now that it’s been “fast-lubed’ and that did not fix it, how about really repairing it?

I checked online and theres several older threads about leaking sunroofs and several about fuzes not being seated thus the sunroof is inop, but yours is the first I saw about slow to close and binding.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Mine works fine so far.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL

Damion

Reaction score
Yea leave it to me to get these types of issues.....

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I honestly don't open mine enough to notice. Would have preferred not to have a sunroof, but this truck was the closest to having everything I wanted at the time. The few times I have opened it I didn't notice it taking an unusually long time.

Damion

Reaction score
I should've mentioned I did compare my truck to another on the lot. The other truck was much faster and smoother than what mine is. Both myself and the dealer know there is an issue but question is where.

Maybe since they've lubed it twice now and it only seems like a temporary fix, next time I bring it in ( likely Monday ) they'll dig deeper into the issue.

Id like to know if these are cable operated to gear, I couldn't see what makes the sliding mechanism move when I was cleaning it

djjr50

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely not happening on mine and I use mine almost each time I am in the truck (used to be daily but covid...).

Wish the screen would go faster but it operates at a normal speed.

RamCares

Reaction score
I should've mentioned I did compare my truck to another on the lot. The other truck was much faster and smoother than what mine is. Both myself and the dealer know there is an issue but question is where.

Maybe since they've lubed it twice now and it only seems like a temporary fix, next time I bring it in ( likely Monday ) they'll dig deeper into the issue.

Id like to know if these are cable operated to gear, I couldn't see what makes the sliding mechanism move when I was cleaning it

Hi @Damion - How did your appoint go on Monday? Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message, we would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer on this!

Mark
RamCares

Mjben1977

Reaction score
I had this issue. Found the gasket around the sunroof was hardening and causing drag on the arms the sunroof. I cleaned the gasket with degreaser and applied silicone lube to the gasket, wiped dry and operated the sunroof 3-4 times. All fixed. Should be a maintenance task for long term owners. 5 min fix not worth going to the dealership.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
My sunroof is totally trouble free. No leaks of any kind either. Not even light. It blends in so well you would not know it was there. Heck it's even metal and painted the same color as the rest of the truck. Stealth sunroof.

Yea, I have a sunroof in my car. I probably opened it once in the past two years. I guess they are cool, just not for me.

Damion

Reaction score
So as an update to my sunroof issues, turns out the entire track was bent. Dealer installed a new track assembly and 2 new motors , sunroof now works great!!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So as an update to my sunroof issues, turns out the entire track was bent. Dealer installed a new track assembly and 2 new motors , sunroof now works great!!
That's awesome! Glad they (finally) took care of you. Thanks for following up!

Users who are viewing this thread