5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update - Wife (and I) grabbed a 2019 Rebel

Boston

Reaction score
New/used for wife?

For a moment I thought she wanted to trade you in.....

crazymjb

Reaction score
I'm leaning more towards ordering a 2020 if my price expectations are realistic. I can order what I want for an MSRP of 53 (Laramie Hemi 4x4 crew, level 1, tow package, offroad group, 33 gallon tank, bench seat) including destination. Is it crazy to expect to get 20% of MSRP on an order?

Also, if I don't plan on towing anything, but could foresee getting a lightweight camper at some point, are the 3.21 gears a huge mistake?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good morning,

My wife is looking to trade her 2014 Wrangler Unlimited owned since new for a new or used truck. We are looking at Rams and F150s. I generally prefer the idea of buying used. We did buy the wranglers new as they retain their value so well. I have a cash offer for her Willys for 20K from one local dealer. KBB has the private party value for "very good" condition at 23-25. I think I might be able to do a little better at a CRDJ dealership as they sell Jeeps. I'm not a novice to buying cars, so I intend to get the price I want for the new truck, have a minimum price I'll take for the wrangler, and pay the rest in cash.

Our minim requirements are as follows
1. 5.7
2. 4X4
3. Laramie
4. Crew cab short box
5. Level 2 equipment group
6. Advanced safety group

I would also like rear posi or e-locker. I am currently living down south, but will be moving back to New England next year. If I were ordering I would include the off-road group as well. As configured "new" the MSRP I was shown on the ram site was 53. I really want to stay inside a $20K cash window including all fees. I think this might be realistic if I found a truck configured as such off the lot. I'd take more, but my minimum requirements are non-negotiables. It seems like people prefer dumb appearance packages over useful features , or at least that is how RAM orders the Trucks.

The handful of questions I have are as follows
1. I know this is realistic for used vehicles, but how about new?
2. How are they with price flexibility off the lot vs ordered when talking new vehicles
3. Do dealers generally move a lot on used vehicles? I've seen 2019 limiteds with 12-15K on them, can I expect them to budge down to 40K on those, or is that a pipe dream?
4. Is there a best source of extended warranties? I know there is generally some asinine markup at the dealer
5. Anything I should be aware of with this vehicles?

We are also considering F150s with the Coyote and 10 speed. My wife is partial to the F150, and it will be her truck.

Thanks in advance!
Laramie Level 1 are more common and really a decent option package; you don't get a whole lot more with the Level 2. You want a Limited slip rear for those winter roads up North; E-Locker if you are offroading.

On average, most are buying new for at least 20% off MSRP. Some do better; some don't...but 20% is a good target. You will definitely get a better deal buying off the lot rather than ordering. I don't know about the used market.

Chrysler Warranty Direct and Ziegler have good MOPAR warranty prices (lots of threads on this topic). If you live in Florida you are screwed because Florida Law does not allow for discounts on warranties. If you buy new then you can purchase the extended warranty before you hit 12 months or 12,000 miles with little to no penalty.

One last word on your Jeep....I had a perfect 2012 JKU that I got rid of when I bought my truck two years ago. It had a 2 1/2 inch lift with Fuels and Nittos, had about 48,000 miles, and didn't have a scratch or mark; it looked brand new. The dealership TOTALLY insulted me with a trade offer of $15,000 and would not budge. I bought the truck anyway because it was a good deal, but I sold the Jeep privately for $24,500.

crazymjb

Reaction score
So for a loaded (level 2, 2 tone paint, Linex, side steps, pano roof, 12 inch nav, premium audio) rebel crew cab with a 60k sticker, 2019 14k miles, is 41.5 a fair price?

crazymjb

Reaction score
In the process of buying this for $41,600. With taxes, fees, and delivery from 200 miles away it comes to $44,000.

The dealer is going to facetime me, put it up on a lift, etc. Anything I should be looking for specifically? It's a larger dealership with a solid reputation, but while I've ordered new cars, I've never bought one site unseen.

ktl5005

Reaction score
In the process of buying this for $41,600. With taxes, fees, and delivery from 200 miles away it comes to $44,000.

The dealer is going to facetime me, put it up on a lift, etc. Anything I should be looking for specifically? It's a larger dealership with a solid reputation, but while I've ordered new cars, I've never bought one site unseen.
For 41,600 think its good price.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Beware of the f150. I traded my 18 f150 because it had a lot of issues, that my local dealer didn’t seem able to fix. Frozen doors. (Had to hold drivers door shut while driving 20 miles to work) that’s fun! IWE issue and broken wires near the fuel tank. So far my 2019 ram has been a great truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazymjb

Reaction score
Ended up buying this 2019 Rebel with 14,000 Miles sight unseen for $41,600. I suppose really it was closer to $42,000 including the "doc fees." Hemi, 4x4, crew cab, level 2 equipment package, luxury pacage, Unconnect 12, Pano roof, bedliner, step, and sidesteps.

All in all I feel pretty good about the buy. The truck appears to be more or less new for all intents and purposes. Everything works, including the 12" screen that I have heard so many complaints about. No strange noises, no whistling from the sunroof, no strange smells, no leaks, etc. I do plan on purchasing the extended warranty, but fortunately it sold less than a year ago, and given our current circumstances I don't think we'll drive it more than 2-3000 miles this year.

We love the truck. I only have 2 complaints: 1. No memory seats -- Given how kitted out this thing is, that's insane. 2. No cooled seats, same reason for being annoyed.

Attachments

• happywifehappylife.jpg
    happywifehappylife.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread