5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven Tire Wear

WA-G

Reaction score
Having similar issue. No air ride. Both fronts wearing on outside but passenger side is much worse. Readylift level installed at 1k miles. Took to dealer at little under 5k and they first said they found no problem, then said the alignment was out. When I picked it up he asked how much do you turn bc you probably just turn too much and too sharp to make sure i'm rolling when turning.... *that was the moment I knew I'd never step foot in my local dealer again* That and they charged me extra for shop time to look for problems that they did not find. After he changed his comments to must have been the bad alignment from the tire shop that installed the level. Despite the incompetence does anyone have a suggestion? I would like to solve the issue before I buy new tires at 6,500 miles.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having similar issue. No air ride. Both fronts wearing on outside but passenger side is much worse. Readylift level installed at 1k miles. Took to dealer at little under 5k and they first said they found no problem, then said the alignment was out. When I picked it up he asked how much do you turn bc you probably just turn too much and too sharp to make sure i'm rolling when turning.... *that was the moment I knew I'd never step foot in my local dealer again* That and they charged me extra for shop time to look for problems that they did not find. After he changed his comments to must have been the bad alignment from the tire shop that installed the level. Despite the incompetence does anyone have a suggestion? I would like to solve the issue before I buy new tires at 6,500 miles.
What do you run for tire pressures? I have the Laramie 20's and run 42F 40R and it seems to have, at the least, reduced the rate at which the front tires are feathering

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

WA-G

Reaction score
What do you run for tire pressures? I have the Laramie 20's and run 42F 40R and it seems to have, at the least, reduced the rate at which the front tires are feathering

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I was running 36psi (33-40 avg) I'm in South Alabama so temp change makes my psi change by the hour. I did increase to 45 and helped some but still seeing the wear. Also, I have only towed a few times and that was only a 5x7 with a small 4wheeler.

Barqs

Reaction score
I spoke with a tire tech at Discount Tire and he told me that he sees this excessive outer wear on EVERY new Ram they get in the shop with the Bridgestones. He also suggested running 40-42 psi to reduce the wear, but the soft sidewall appears to be the culprit. Ride quality over longevity. I'm sitting at 28k now and will be replacing my tires at 30k with something other than Bridgestones. Leaning towards the Falken ATs that came on the Off-Road Group.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I spoke with a tire tech at Discount Tire and he told me that he sees this excessive outer wear on EVERY new Ram they get in the shop with the Bridgestones. He also suggested running 40-42 psi to reduce the wear, but the soft sidewall appears to be the culprit. Ride quality over longevity. I'm sitting at 28k now and will be replacing my tires at 30k with something other than Bridgestones. Leaning towards the Falken ATs that came on the Off-Road Group.
i am at 10k on my Falken's, can not see any wear at all.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I spoke with a tire tech at Discount Tire and he told me that he sees this excessive outer wear on EVERY new Ram they get in the shop with the Bridgestones. He also suggested running 40-42 psi to reduce the wear, but the soft sidewall appears to be the culprit. Ride quality over longevity
These Bridgestones are garbage. A squishy passenger tire that doesn't belong on a 2.5 ton vehicle. Also, two of mine weren't round in the traditional sense and rode like crap

kittyjo

Reaction score
Have 22k miles on mine and same thing on outside wear plus back tires are getting bald quickly in middle and outsides? North Carolina mostly freeway and town driving..

jimk hunt

Reaction score
The vehicle causes tires to wear unevenly, not the tires. Soft sidewall isn't a thing. The culprit is most likely front end geometry very possibly made worse by alignment. Often in an effort to decrease turning radius, compromises are made and tire wear suffers. Think about this, tires have no idea of their position on the vehicle. Why do they wear this way primarily on the right front? I have Bridgestones on my truck and no issues at 13k. They are not 'garbage' as someone suggested.

Your best bet is a good alignment shop that can tweak the specs to compensate if you are having the issue. Specs are a range and he may have to err on one side of the range to get optimal results. Rotating your tires will also help you get the most out of your them. Always inflate cold, regardless of ambient temps.

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nope, garbage. I actually replaced my 685 Bridgestones with 684 II Bridgestones and they weren't garbage

Barqs

Reaction score
The vehicle causes tires to wear unevenly, not the tires. Soft sidewall isn't a thing. The culprit is most likely front end geometry very possibly made worse by alignment. Often in an effort to decrease turning radius, compromises are made and tire wear suffers. Think about this, tires have no idea of their position on the vehicle. Why do they wear this way primarily on the right front? I have Bridgestones on my truck and no issues at 13k. They are not 'garbage' as someone suggested.

Your best bet is a good alignment shop that can tweak the specs to compensate if you are having the issue. Specs are a range and he may have to err on one side of the range to get optimal results. Rotating your tires will also help you get the most out of your them. Always inflate cold, regardless of ambient temps.

You lost me at "Soft sidewall isn't a thing". I understand geometry and that not all alignments are created equal, but sidewall stiffness IS a thing, and different tires have different sidewall thicknesses and load ratings. It's stamped on the side of each tire. These Bridgestones have a lower load rating than many of the passenger and LT tires out there, which provides a better ride but at the expense of wear. Now that's not to say these Bridgestone's aren't great tires on a different vehicle, but they aren't a good fit on my Ram (and 95% of the Rams out there if you trust the forums and other tire techs).

I think it's wonderful that your tires are working for you, but I've tried the alignment game before and I always lose and come out worse than if I had kept the factory settings. No two alignment techs are created equal, and I haven't found that magic guy yet. Swapping to a tire with a stiffer sidewall will give me (IMO) better results on tire life.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
You lost me at "Soft sidewall isn't a thing". I understand geometry and that not all alignments are created equal, but sidewall stiffness IS a thing, and different tires have different sidewall thicknesses and load ratings. It's stamped on the side of each tire. These Bridgestones have a lower load rating than many of the passenger and LT tires out there, which provides a better ride but at the expense of wear. Now that's not to say these Bridgestone's aren't great tires on a different vehicle, but they aren't a good fit on my Ram (and 95% of the Rams out there if you trust the forums and other tire techs).

I think it's wonderful that your tires are working for you, but I've tried the alignment game before and I always lose and come out worse than if I had kept the factory settings. No two alignment techs are created equal, and I haven't found that magic guy yet. Swapping to a tire with a stiffer sidewall will give me (IMO) better results on tire life.
Good discussion points but wouldn't the sidewalls be the same 'stiffness' on both sides? Load ratings are stamped on the sidewall but sidewall thickness is not. Going back to OP complaint (and others) the wear is primarily on the outside of passenger front. This definitely indicates a geometry problem on a new truck. Truck with 100k could be many things. The OE Bridgestone are definitely marginal on a heavy truck, even a half ton. That's what Ram spec'd with the dollars they had to spend on tires. Other than most luxury brands cars, OE tires are spec'd for price and ride. On alignment I didn't say to go outside spec, just to 'lean' to one side of spec if your tech can/ will do it to try and correct the problem. Also always get the printout, many makers have different specs for different models of the same vehicle and the tech needs to pick the correct model.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 19 all factory with only 3800 miles all tires are wearing on the outer edge, the front is by far worse, rotated them already. Tire pressure has been between 35-40 psi. I am also having a vibration and tire balance issue. Back to a different dealer after 300 miles of being balanced. The vibration is worse than even. Tires have now been balance 4 times, 5 if you count the factory! Already have a case with ram cares! Getting real tired going to the dealer all the time for same issue.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
My only suggestion is that folks get Lifetime alignments - for issues like this, suspension mods, etc.

Redman74

Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie
33,500 Miles

Pickup is currently at the dealership after a star case has been opened.

1000 miles ago (1 week ago) I took my RAM to the dealer because the outside shoulder on my front right tire was excessively worn. A technician looked at it and confirmed that their was nothing mechanically wrong and the alignment was within factory specifications, tire pressure was at 35 psi. Two new tires were put on the rear, the front ones junked, and the ones in the rear (which had good tread) were moved to the front. During next 1000 miles (1 week) I monitored the tire pressure of all four tires and they all stayed consistently 36 psi. Truck drove straight as an arrow like it always has. I then started to notice that the outside shoulder of the front right tire was already starting to wear. It is currently at the dealership until further notice because everything appears fine and they are unsure what is causing the problem. The dealership is waiting for assistance from Chrysler.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Yes also have this problem..my front suspension was fixed 6 months ago but not sure the realignment was done..47'000 km in Toronto.
Love the truck but damn these tires

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes also have this problem..my front suspension was fixed 6 months ago but not sure the realignment was done..47'000 km in Toronto.
Love the truck but damn these tires
Same issue here, except mine started to wear at 2000 miles. Tire pressure was always in that 35-40 psi range. The dealer tells me it’s normal wear, that’s bs I’ve driven other trucks 50,000 and the tires didn’t look like that. It’s been balanced 5 times now, the rack and pinion was replaced at 3600 miles, still has a vibration and tires are wearing. Truck only has 4300 miles on it now. Been to two dealers now they tell me nothing more they can do. I really think it’s a defect in the frame or something in the front end 63,000 truck this is complete BS!

pinkerton

Reaction score
I have the same issue: I just rotated mine (2nd rotation) at 23k and both fronts are worn badly on the outside (Left front appears worse than RF). I have a limited with air

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW...I rotated my tires at ~12k, and am now at ~16k...The tires from the rear look identical to the fronts, though they have only feathered and not continued to wear faster than the center.
So for me, I'm not going to worry about it too much and will replace the tires when needed. I will be going load range E at that point because I will be pulling a camper quite a bit and would really like the stability and strength of the tire.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue: I just rotated mine (2nd rotation) at 23k and both fronts are worn badly on the outside (Left front appears worse than RF). I have a limited with air
I’ve always rotated tires every 5000 miles and I’ve Never had a tire issue like this. Mi e only has 8000 miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online