5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel width effect on tire width

Diddy Sanchez

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but does the width of the wheel effect the width appearance of the tire?
Currently running a 37x12.5 toyo atII on the stock Limited 22x9, but ordered the fuel rebel 22x10 yesterday. The 37’s look a little skinny on the stock 9 wides and was hoping the extra inch of width on the fuel rebels would stretch it out just a little bit. Also, if anyone is in the market for the limited all black 22’s hit me up!
Thanks

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but does the width of the wheel effect the width appearance of the tire?
Currently running a 37x12.5 toyo atII on the stock Limited 22x9, but ordered the fuel rebel 22x10 yesterday. The 37’s look a little skinny on the stock 9 wides and was hoping the extra inch of width on the fuel rebels would stretch it out just a little bit. Also, if anyone is in the market for the limited all black 22’s hit me up!
Thanks
To me it does, a wider wheel looks and handles better in my opinion.

jaydeebee24

Reaction score
In general, yes. Won't see a huge difference between a 9 wide and a 10 wide on a 12.5 tire though.

jaydeebee24

Reaction score
But having that little bit of negative offset that I assume the 22x10 will have will help to see more of the tire, which will make it look wider.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's all about form vs function. I like narrower wheels. The bulge of the sidewall protects the lips of the wheels, and it also maintains a more solid mount for the bead. My rule of thumb has always been that the TREAD width should be equal or greater than the wheel width.

Users who are viewing this thread