5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The other day I was complaining that I didn't notice any difference so I bumped it up to tightest setting; welp, definitely felt that. Moved it back to middle, think I will keep it there. On the tightest setting even driving pretty much straight over a rough piece of the road would make my truck feel like a chevy in the back; little side skips and too much bounce. Might move it there during the summer when I tow my trailer, but unloaded, definitely too much for my taste.

Now all we need is a quick disconnect, something that allows us to snap open the fitting, move it to a different hole, and snap the fitting closed again all in less than 10 seconds.

Rambro23

Reaction score
Installed mine today and have a question I don't believe has been covered yet. With the polyurethane bushings, should I have lubed the inside of the "D" pieces before fitting them on the bar? I didn't apply the lube that was supplied because they went on so easily. Now I'm thinking the bushings may squeak without it (being polyurethane and all). Any advice helps.

Dank

Reaction score
I just ordered the Hellwig, is that the only place you put the lube,
Inside the bushing where the bar goes?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The specs say torque the clamps to the truck at around 35 foot pounds. To me that seems really low, any guess as to why it's so low? And what happens if you go past that?

I bought a torque wrench just for this job, silly thing was busted out of the box and did not give me any audible clicks even on the lowest setting. Checked the reviews afterwards, sure enough, many people complaining that they didn't get any clicks. So I ended up way overtightening them before discovering the wrench wasn't working. Returned it for a cheaper one with a dial on it and got it in to somewhere beween 35 and 40. Just hope I didn't deform the steel clamps or something.

As you might have guessed by now, I don't do much in the way of wrenching, figured I could attempt something this simple.

Rambro23

Reaction score
Applied lube inside the bushings and re-torqued to 30 ft. lbs. I should be good to go! Also, if you don’t have gloves around, grab a plastic sandwich bag, put your hands and finger inside and apply lubricant to inner bushings. Great way to get the job done and avoid the mess.

Rambro23

Reaction score
Wear latex gloves. That stuff sticks to everything (y)
Thanks for the heads up! Didn't have gloves, so i grabbed a sandwich bag and placed my finger inside that to protect from getting gunked up. That lube is a mess!

Bpiet378

Reaction score
Just installed mine. Only things I noticed are the stock washers I put on slightly cut into the rubber coating of the frame bracket Hellwig supplied and the sway bar is now lightly touching this line in the picture. I didn’t use a torque wrench, just went until I felt a decent amount of resistance because my torque wrench isn’t with me. The sway bar seem somewhat bent inward now unlike straight up and down like they were prior, anyone notice this? Maybe I’m just imagining it.

Attachments

• B5D6D903-4B62-47BB-8CBC-F6AEE2CC1AD4.jpeg
    B5D6D903-4B62-47BB-8CBC-F6AEE2CC1AD4.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 132

Rambro23

Reaction score
Reused the stock bolts and mine appeared to be all good (torqued down to 30 ft lbs). Also, be sure the hump on the bar isn’t faced up. See pic below for correct orientation.

Attachments

• 91CDB5D4-BF21-4F63-B907-30EC5D4374C8.jpeg
    91CDB5D4-BF21-4F63-B907-30EC5D4374C8.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 152

Bpiet378

Reaction score
Reused the stock bolts and mine appeared to be all good (torqued down to 30 ft lbs). Also, be sure the hump on the bar isn’t faced up. See pic below for correct orientation.
Yeah I saw that, it’s facing down. The washers didn’t scrape part of the bracket?

Bpiet378

Reaction score
I loosened the bolts and torqued to 30ft/lbs but the washers still cut into the sides of the C part of the bracket. Oh well I guess

Users who are viewing this thread