5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ridge grappler reviews

Memphsi87

Reaction score
I
I have had both 12.5 wide and 13.5 Ridge Grapplers and live in SW Florida where we get some pretty frequent heavy rains and a hurricane here and there! Not once have i felt like like they were anything but solid and safe tires in rainy or dry conditions. I cant speak for snow abilities but wet roads i have no concerns about there safety and abilities.
i could get mine to light up in 2wd with very light throttle in rain, and on ramps, the whole truck would slide sideways, in the rain. I dunno if it’s asphalt they use by me or what thats not letting this tires perform . I wanted to like these tires but there just not for me I guess. Rode awesome though, nice and quiet

Last edited:

Chuck19

Reaction score
I

i could get mine to light up in 2wd with very light throttle in rain, and on ramps, the whole truck would slide sideways. I dunno if it’s asphalt they use by me or what thats not letting this tires perform . I wanted to like these tires but there just not for me I guess. Rode awesome though, nice and quiet
Thanks for the feed back, I know everyone can have different experiences with different products. I am one of the few that is not a fan of Toyo Tires. Just had issues from balancing to road noise and felt they weren’t very steady on wet roads. However i know there are a ton of people that love them but fortunately we have a ton of choices in the good old US of A:cool:

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
I've been eyeing these tires for a while and find some of the safety opinions kind of jarring. Are there alternative aggressive looking tires we can compare them to?

Stevenc150

Reaction score
I've been eyeing these tires for a while and find some of the safety opinions kind of jarring. Are there alternative aggressive looking tires we can compare them to?
I've got the 285/55R22 Ridge Grapplers and find them no less "safe" than any other A/T tire I've had before. In fact these are the better riding tires that I've had than almost all others. May just be me tho, but with 400hp, rwd, empty truk bed, 3:92 gearing...i expect to spin...just my $.02

edit: Of course I'm the bastard who loves fish-tailing on wet roads so...theres that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Chuck19

Reaction score
I second that @Stevenc150! I have had no issues over the years with the Ridge Grapplers and have full confidence in their reliability and performance. They are the only tire I use on my trucks and Jeeps! I even thought about putting them on the wife’s new Honda Odyssey but she shut down that idea real quick :ROFLMAO:

kittyjo

Reaction score
Just curious how are these on boat ramps on 4wd? And when it rains 4wd auto since in nc it rains alot..... gonna get these soon just trying to find right rims and tire size...

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
I second that @Stevenc150! I have had no issues over the years with the Ridge Grapplers and have full confidence in their reliability and performance. They are the only tire I use on my trucks and Jeeps! I even thought about putting them on the wife’s new Honda Odyssey but she shut down that idea real quick :ROFLMAO:
How has your experience been with snow and ice? The northeast never ceases to throw every type of weather imaginable at us.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s is crazy how many people run them, I mean, I fell for the hype, but quickly realized they are a very sub par tire in anything other than dry pavement. They just look so good, but they are dangerous, atleast that’s what I thought compared to ever other tire I’ve ever ran
I felt that way about my G2's; they were dangerous on wet roads. Those G2s would slip and slide everywhere and hydroplane like crazy. They do last forever, but I will never buy another Nitto tire.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Nitto tires in general have very average ratings across the internet. Lots of people have issues with them. My brother runs the 305/55-20 Ridge Grappler and he's had them for almost 30,000 miles. He says they are terrible in the rain and dangerous in bad weather.

Sounds like he got a knock-off or old stock set of tires.

First of all, a few years ago I did tons of research. Nitto ATs had overall one of the best reviews out there. I have ran 3 sets of Nitto's on my trucks, The first two were Terra's and now I went to Ridge. I never had any long enough to talk about wear. The first set of Terras I had that truck for 30,000 miles and the tires still looked brand new.

One thing is for sure though - they laugh at water. If someone says they are dangerous in bad weather, they are either lying, have a knock off set, or drive like crazy in the rain. No roads are more slippery in the rain than Florida's. The stock tires would slip and slide all the time. I don't even think twice about it with my Nittos. They never slip (of course I don't mash the gas in the rain either but I also don't drive like a Grandma.) I do not change my driving habits in the rain the tires give me a lot of confidence in crap weather. They also never slip at an algae ridden boat ramp. I have never had to use my 4x4 with the Nittos. In no way shape or form are the Terra or Ridge Grapplers dangerous in the rain.

With that being said, no matter what tire I went with I lost some gas mileage. On the Terra's I had the factory size, on the Ridge I have 305/55r22. They are a hair noisier, if you notice them you will forget about it in a day or two. Other than that they look phenominal and I get compliments all the time. I wouldn't ever think twice about Terra or Ridge Grapplers and will continue to run them on my trucks.

Buy from a reputable dealer that will get you a recently manufactured tire and stand by you with warranty.

Last edited:

Memphsi87

Reaction score
Mine were ****. No lie, worst tire I’ve owned, bought from the largest tire rim shop, SD wheels, which fills orders for the largest tire sellers in the country. Here they are are on my trade in , had them also on a 15 silverado before my 19, same story, **** tire. Not hear to spread lies, there just not as good as people say

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like he got a knock-off or old stock set of tires.

First of all, a few years ago I did tons of research. Nitto ATs had overall one of the best reviews out there. I have ran 3 sets of Nitto's on my trucks, The first two were Terra's and now I went to Ridge. I never had any long enough to talk about wear. The first set of Terras I had that truck for 30,000 miles and the tires still looked brand new.

One thing is for sure though - they laugh at water. If someone says they are dangerous in bad weather, they are either lying, have a knock off set, or drive like crazy in the rain. No roads are more slippery in the rain than Florida's. The stock tires would slip and slide all the time. I don't even think twice about it with my Nittos. They never slip (of course I don't mash the gas in the rain either but I also don't drive like a Grandma.) I do not change my driving habits in the rain the tires give me a lot of confidence in crap weather. They also never slip at an algae ridden boat ramp. I have never had to use my 4x4 with the Nittos. In no way shape or form are the Terra or Ridge Grapplers dangerous in the rain.

With that being said, no matter what tire I went with I lost some gas mileage. On the Terra's I had the factory size, on the Ridge I have 305/55r22. They are a hair noisier, if you notice them you will forget about it in a day or two. Other than that they look phenominal and I get compliments all the time. I wouldn't ever think twice about Terra or Ridge Grapplers and will continue to run them on my trucks.

Buy from a reputable dealer that will get you a recently manufactured tire and stand by you with warranty.

He got them from Custom Offsets and I believe those guys sell thousands of tires per month. Definitely not a knock off or old stock. I have helped him rotate his and I will admit they are wearing nicely, which probably speaks to their harder compound, which is probably why they're terrible in the rain.

The only experience I have with Nitto is that I bought a set of Motiva tires for my Mach 1 last year, and one of the 4 was so out of round they couldn't even balance it. On the road force machine it put up numbers that would make a Super Swamper Bogger look good.

Over the last 20 years, I've run just about every AT or MT tire on the market. I guess I'm a tire *****. I like to run new tires and try new things and film reviews and write reviews. One thing I have seen is that Nitto truck tires have the most mixed and mediocre reviews of any tire brand out there. Almost everyone will defend their purchase. It's a psychological thing. No matter which tire a guy buys, he'll write that it's the best tire he's ever used. Well, that's not the case with Nitto. They have terrible reviews all over the Web, and EVEN ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE. There are lots of 2 and 3 star ratings on their own site. If you browse forums, you'll see balancing issues, wear issues, traction issues, etc.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but what you're seeing is definitely not what I'm seeing.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Given all things equal, the only answer I can think of would be quality consistency issues. Although with everything being made in China that doesn't surprise me. When I did my homework I looked at ALOT of AT tires at all price points. The same reviews I see from you guys I've seen on every single manufacture. KO2s and DuraTracs have some super bad reviews, and they are generally regarded as the best. For me, I felt the Nitto had the best overall and consistent reviews. I am no tire expert but I am curious if one could chime in on why two exact tires could perform so difference for one person, given all general variables remain constant (truck, tiresize, weather, tire date, etc).

What I do know though - is after 4/5 years of running Nitto ATs and three different sets - they have not failed me once. Through 100s of boat launchs, driving in sand, a hurricane or two, several tropical storms and tons of heavy summer storms, they have proven reliable and safe for me.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some ridge grapplers on my truck. Best tires ive owned so far. Really like the look, handling, and tread wear is great.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Yeah imo, this debate may be a truck thing...not tires. And i'm no more exp than anyone else; but after 5 trucks & all kinds of a/t tires there was a constant. U can help, but not overcome, the deficiencies of a trucks poor weight distr & mass HP...with Tires

edit: unless u mount these lol

Screenshot_20200501-152354_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Chuck19

Reaction score
Just curious how are these on boat ramps on 4wd? And when it rains 4wd auto since in nc it rains alot..... gonna get these soon just trying to find right rims and tire size...
I have never had any issues with Ridge GRapplers on concrete boat ramps, never needed to even use 4WD and i have serveral steep ramps i use. If you are talking about non paved I haven’t used many but the couple i have used i have never had an issue. I guess it depends on the weight and tires on boat trailer and just how muddy and mucky it is.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Ultimately i think tire preferences are just like anything else. If someone loves it then they have never had any issues with that product or brand. On the other hand if someone has had issues with a product or brand then they question the entire quality of every product or item that comes off the assembly line. I think that is the case we have here, just my 2 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread