5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership employees use my personal vehicle for business/joy ride

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
I get you, and am not in argument with anything you said. I was responding to someone else. But the analogy stands. Amazon is a large scale comparison, but the point remains. The GM is there to make sure the store is profitable and in compliance. Thats his primary focus. If stuff like this gets to his desk it signifies a break down in the chain of command not satisfying a client. And perhaps even been negligent in setting the proper standards for the store. I am not trying to make out like the store in question is some shining example, because I just don't know, and its likely that they are just an average store. But the way people cast the actions of an employee or two (especially low level ones) all the way to to top of the chain of command is just not fair or accurate. That's all I am saying. I truly do hope they resolve this in a way that is satisfactory to you. One thing that is factually accurate is that clients who have had a bad experience turned positive tell more people than people that have just had satisfactory or even good. Dealers know this. It is not a business secret. Generally stores want to help and have little desire to just turn clients away with a middle finger, though that is often the impression that consumers have.
Thanks. I’ll make sure the update this thread with whatever the outcome is.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn’t see a problem here? I think it’s good practice to test drive a vehicle after replacing parts. They didn’t abuse the vehicle and 6 miles is pretty reasonable for a test. Yea they picked someone up but to me they were killing 2 birds with one stone.

I bet you would be complaining if they didn’t test drive and there was problem with the vehicle that could only be identified by doing a test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You completely missed the part where this wasn’t a test drive to begin with. The technician who repaired my vehicle conducted the test drive prior to this incident. The videos show valet drivers taking my vehicle for a completely different purpose.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn’t see a problem here? I think it’s good practice to test drive a vehicle after replacing parts. They didn’t abuse the vehicle and 6 miles is pretty reasonable for a test. Yea they picked someone up but to me they were killing 2 birds with one stone.

I bet you would be complaining if they didn’t test drive and there was problem with the vehicle that could only be identified by doing a test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is evidence they know what they were doing was wrong, based on the audio. There is a right test drive and then there is using the vehicle as a shuttle. 6 miles is too far for a test drive for this scenario.

I think a law suit is excessive but I would certainly be heated. Bad reviews should be applied no matter who is affected. The leadership is responsible for stuff like this, and everyone needs to work as a team. People need to hold each other accountable. I.E. If I know employee A is doing something bad that is going to affect my bonus, then I will discourage, or do my best to prevent that. I am not sure how I would have reacted in this situation. If you have the time and money, go for a law suit - not sure what you want the end result to be, but if I had nothing better to do, I would do it just to waste their time and money. Of course if I had excessive money I would do a whole lot more to disrupt their business, but I am pretty damn petty lol.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
There is evidence they know what they were doing was wrong, based on the audio. There is a right test drive and then there is using the vehicle as a shuttle. 6 miles is too far for a test drive for this scenario.

I think a law suit is excessive but I would certainly be heated. Bad reviews should be applied no matter who is affected. The leadership is responsible for stuff like this, and everyone needs to work as a team. People need to hold each other accountable. I.E. If I know employee A is doing something bad that is going to affect my bonus, then I will discourage, or do my best to prevent that. I am not sure how I would have reacted in this situation. If you have the time and money, go for a law suit - not sure what you want the end result to be, but if I had nothing better to do, I would do it just to waste their time and money. Of course if I had excessive money I would do a whole lot more to disrupt their business, but I am pretty damn petty lol.
Thank you.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say to expect a bunch of hollow apologies and ram to send you some swag to try and shut you up. Maybe a gift cert or something. That's about what I got when my Cadillac had the same thing done and also was recorded.

Your state may have a joyriding, unauthorized use of motor vehicle, or grand theft charges you could press charges with if you really wanted to be a PITA. Even temporarily depriving you of your vehicle without specific permission with a value over a certain amount is grand theft. File a police report for funsies to show them you mean business. If anything it'll go on their record and jack their insurance and license.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
I'd say to expect a bunch of hollow apologies and ram to send you some swag to try and shut you up. Maybe a gift cert or something. That's about what I got when my Cadillac had the same thing done and also was recorded.

Your state may have a joyriding, unauthorized use of motor vehicle, or grand theft charges you could press charges with if you really wanted to be a PITA. Even temporarily depriving you of your vehicle without specific permission with a value over a certain amount is grand theft. File a police report for funsies to show them you mean business. If anything it'll go on their record and jack their insurance and license.
That is some great info right there! Thanks for the tip. I’ll explore that option as well.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always give people the benefit of the doubt in that they are human, can have a bad day, or make a poor decision. However, my expectation when extending that grace to them is for the response to be apologetic and offer to make it right. 99% of the time, that will resolve the issue for me. I would be expecting some copious amounts of apologizing here, with assurances it simply won't happen ever again, etc. Maybe a free oil change or something. My first reaction would not be to do a negative review, but if I went through all the proper escalation conversations and got blown off at every stage I most certainly would go that route. That indicates more than a momentary bad choice, but reflects a culture in general. (And I'm talking in all businesses here, not just a dealership). I give ample opportunities for correction/apologies, but I have zero issue with respectfully seeking proportional satisfaction for the errors.

LM42

Reaction score
Man I hate to be the new guy coming in here too harsh, but some of you are real jerks. I mean that. Through and through. You want to get the cops involved over an unauthorized drive that resulted in no harm, physically or monetarily?! And in todays climate with 10s of millions unemployed? You guys have no grip on reality, no compassion and have clearly NEVER done something in your life that you shouldn't have. People can be colossal a holes over what amounts to nothing. This isn't directed as much at the OP as some of the other people chiming in. But this kind of thread stamps for me why I put so much effort in at my job. Because as clearly seen here, what can amount to a harmless lapse in judgement may not only cost you your job, but possibly much more. I just shake my head at the pettiness of people.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man I hate to be the new guy coming in here too harsh, but some of you are real jerks. I mean that. Through and through. You want to get the cops involved over an unauthorized drive that resulted in no harm, physically or monetarily?! And in todays climate with 10s of millions unemployed? You guys have no grip on reality, no compassion and have clearly NEVER done something in your life that you shouldn't have. People can be colossal a holes over what amounts to nothing. This isn't directed as much at the OP as some of the other people chiming in. But this kind of thread stamps for me why I put so much effort in at my job. Because as clearly seen here, what can amount to a harmless lapse in judgement may not only cost you your job, but possibly much more. I just shake my head at the pettiness of people.
I think I’m the one you were referring to in your other post so I’ll respond to both here. I’m not saying get the cops involved or sue or crazy crap like that. The dealership is in or should be in the business of customer service/satisfaction and clearly the OP wasn’t satisfied and that’s all there is to it. So in your opinion he has two choices:

A or B, I’ll choose A every time as needed.
9814CAAD-2711-4B07-9B5A-A1C7265C7E8D.jpeg 17090915-3AF8-4BC7-813F-52BBFABF6B78.jpeg

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
I always give people the benefit of the doubt in that they are human, can have a bad day, or make a poor decision. However, my expectation when extending that grace to them is for the response to be apologetic and offer to make it right. 99% of the time, that will resolve the issue for me. I would be expecting some copious amounts of apologizing here, with assurances it simply won't happen ever again, etc. Maybe a free oil change or something. My first reaction would not be to do a negative review, but if I went through all the proper escalation conversations and got blown off at every stage I most certainly would go that route. That indicates more than a momentary bad choice, but reflects a culture in general. (And I'm talking in all businesses here, not just a dealership). I give ample opportunities for correction/apologies, but I have zero issue with respectfully seeking proportional satisfaction for the errors.
As the driver in the video said, “oh well”.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
There was a monetary loss to me. My time spent at the dealer was time I wasn’t spending earning my income. I went to work after this ordeal. The unauthorized drive happens to be illegal so I think it’s worth filing a police report. I see it as a favor to future customers of that dealer that won’t have those individuals working there to take advantage of them.

LM42

Reaction score
I think I’m the one you were referring to in your other post so I’ll respond to both here. I’m not saying get the cops involved or sue or crazy crap like that. The dealership is in or should be in the business of customer service/satisfaction and clearly the OP wasn’t satisfied and that’s all there is to it. So in your opinion he has two choices:

A or B, I’ll choose A every time as needed.
View attachment 53720 View attachment 53721
I am not sure how you make the leap to "I'm a doormat" because I said not to sue or get the cops involved. Pretend for a minute this happened to you. If I am being generous the dealer took an extra 30 minutes of your time. And clearly, without question drove your vehicle ~6 miles without your permission. As the consumer, what would be a fair resolution to you?

Adrianp89

Reaction score

You want to keep a job? Do the right thing. Plenty of people that will do the right thing at all times are ready to replace the clowns that drove his truck. In a world were you are lucky to have a job - you better be smart to keep it. I have a pretty tight grip on reality and have done plenty of things that I shouldn't have.... and some that have rightfully cost me a job. A harmless lapse in judgement is often not so harmless. Would you still be saying it was ok if the truck got in an accident? Probably not - just because it is harmless doesn't mean it's ok. If I drink and drive and get home safe is that ok? You can't pick and chose, because in reality something bad will happen eventually.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As the Beastie Boys say...

I'm charming, I'm dashing, I'm rental car bashing

LM42

Reaction score
You want to keep a job? Do the right thing. Plenty of people that will do the right thing at all times are ready to replace the clowns that drove his truck. In a world were you are lucky to have a job - you better be smart to keep it. I have a pretty tight grip on reality and have done plenty of things that I shouldn't have.... and some that have rightfully cost me a job. A harmless lapse in judgement is often not so harmless. Would you still be saying it was ok if the truck got in an accident? Probably not - just because it is harmless doesn't mean it's ok. If I drink and drive and get home safe is that ok? You can't pick and chose, because in reality something bad will happen eventually.
Again, I am not trying to be a jerk myself, but some of you are either willfully disregarding what I said, or are just terrible at reading comprehension. I never said or implied that it was ok. In fact I have specifically said that I agree it was wrong. I am only saying the reaction and correction should be measured against what kind of actual loss and inconvenience was suffered. Also, this idea that people are just lining up for jobs like this is usually said by someone that never has to hire anyone. It varies by market obviously, but this is generally just not true. Replacing that valet with someone who wants to work in the car biz, has a clean driving record, who can pee clean, who can be trusted to talk to clients and who doesn't smell like a homeless person, and oh yeah need to do it for minimum or near minimum is WAY harder than you think it is. Oh and the final requirement is that they need to be trusted not to abuse client vehicles and trust.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A tech doing a test loop drive is a test drive.
A car jockey running a dealer or personal errand is borrowing your car. Did you loan the car for them to use ? I didn’t think so.

if the GM doesn’t agree this was improper, I’m with you, a negative review (or more than one) is appropriate. I’d find the owner, too - they love to be tracked down and asked if you could borrow their car.

That said, I wouldn’t go back to that dealership for any reason. The lemon law fixes can be done at any dealer. And I’d also try to put it behind me, as a lesson learned. That dealer ruined their relationship with scores of customers (and clearly don’t care), but don’t let them ruin more than one day of yours.

Glad you shared - I wanna dash cam. Now on to the next fun truck project - figuring out how to put a adv bike in a short bed while towing a travel trailer...

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
Well said!

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
A tech doing a test loop drive is a test drive.
A car jockey running a dealer or personal errand is borrowing your car. Did you loan the car for them to use ? I didn’t think so.

if the GM doesn’t agree this was improper, I’m with you, a negative review (or more than one) is appropriate. I’d find the owner, too - they love to be tracked down and asked if you could borrow their car.

That said, I wouldn’t go back to that dealership for any reason. The lemon law fixes can be done at any dealer. And I’d also try to put it behind me, as a lesson learned. That dealer ruined their relationship with scores of customers (and clearly don’t care), but don’t let them ruin more than one day of yours.

Glad you shared - I wanna dash cam. Now on to the next fun truck project - figuring out how to put a adv bike in a short bed while towing a travel trailer...
You’re right. I don’t plan on going back there.

Reactions: cj7

jkm312

Reaction score
The trust you placed in the dealership has been broken. Clearly you were abused. There has to be some verifiable harm done, other than cause some personal irritation with the entire episode. What I would do is park the truck like you say for a week and see if the etorque drain has been rectified. Because you are in the epicenter of the covid-19 pandemic it's best to stay out of the truck during that time because you don't know who was in it. This isn't a game. If the truck is dead again, then I would be talking with the GM and give him all the facts. Let him rectify the entire problem, truck repair, unauthorized use and placing you in some unnecessary possible harm. Tell him what you want and be reasonable. If his actions are not acceptable to you, move on. If the truck has been repaired to your satisfaction, then I would relay all the facts to Chrysler customer service as well as a copy to the GM. There are some people who should not be there. If the GM has not resolved the problems to your satisfaction, then in the letter to Chrysler ask for a nearby reputable dealer you can take your business to. Keep it all in house, you will get farther down this road. If you threaten lawsuits and the like, everybody just shuts down.

Users who are viewing this thread