5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed cover for Rambox Short Bed?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the Retrax interfere with the ramboxes in any way? Could someone post a pic with the rambox open?

jjsmith

Reaction score
Does the Retrax interfere with the ramboxes in any way? Could someone post a pic with the rambox open?

Yes, the retrax does interfere with the rambox opening. Tie downs on rails no longer work.

cf6da44c25950cab3f73de1e202a0732.jpg

f1abad766d056a5c6de034a5248fef0c.jpg

Last edited:

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the retrax does interfere with the rambox opening. Tie downs on rails no longer work.

cf6da44c25950cab3f73de1e202a0732.jpg

f1abad766d056a5c6de034a5248fef0c.jpg

Thank you very much for that feedback.

Is that as far as the rambox opens up? That’s quite a limit of function if so, I think that would bother me.

Also a bit bummed about the tie downs. They don’t fit in the rail at all with the cover?

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Thank you very much for that feedback.

Is that as far as the rambox opens up? That’s quite a limit of function if so, I think that would bother me.

Also a bit bummed about the tie downs. They don’t fit in the rail at all with the cover?

I thought it would bother me as well, but after a couple times opening it, it does loosen up a bit, or I just didn't notice it as much. The RamBox is fully functional, but won't stay open all the way on its own. I reach in, grab my stuff no sweat. You lose it being 90 degrees open, but it's not that bad.

The 4 tie downs on my rails still work fine, are movable, etc.

I'm enjoying the Retrax MX Pro, although I did have a slight issue putting the snowmobile in the back, eventually had to take the ski loops off to fit the skis under the canister. A 2 minute job on and off. The depth of the canister wasn't the issue, it was the height above the bed to the canister.

Overall, improved look, security, etc. for me was the way to go. I'm happy with the upgrade.

jjsmith

Reaction score
It’s clear mine is installed differently causing the tie downs to not fit - weird. The rambox on mine will stay open after the weather strip gets broken in, but I wanted to show you that it does “interfere” with opening and closing.

There is also a gap between each rambox and the tailgate that I had to stuff weather stripping foam into to keep water out. You can see the gap on the others pics and the small strip at the back on mine in the open bed pic. Definitely a design miss. The retrax roll top itself is quality and very well made, so it’s not a bad choice at all. I also miss the pull strap from the roll n lock design (not offered for 5th gen w/rambox); may add one later. You’ve got a pretty good idea of the pros & cons now. Good luck.

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

ramfanatic

Reaction score
Looking for options for a 2020 Laramie, 5’7” bed with ramboxes and no multi-function tailgate. I see plenty of other threads on tonneau covers, but didn’t see any specific to this application.

I definitely want a folding or roll-up cover, and need to retain function of the ram boxes. I also have the bed rail utility kit, and I’m hopeful to find a cover that allows me to continue using the adjustable tie downs. Also, if I could have my cake and eat it too, I’d love to keep the self-opening tailgate functional.

I’m open to options for either soft or hard cover. Very curious to see pics of any options you have or have seen!
I researched that topic extensively and would recommend the Truxedo Sentry or Sentry CT.

Tonto2020

Reaction score
I just put in this one from Truxedo.This is without the rambox but i know for a fact they give the option for a rambox too. I love the different fabric.
TRUXEDO IS ALSO HAVING A 15% OFF SALE
UNTIL APRIL 20th!!!!!
16d084e569718509114f0e128c761593.jpg

ea504350a1aad837e11740d23a17587d.jpg

f8e7f895055ec2d8d6252fbed5b14b58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brain h

Reaction score
Looking for options for a 2020 Laramie, 5’7” bed with ramboxes and no multi-function tailgate. I see plenty of other threads on tonneau covers, but didn’t see any specific to this application.

I definitely want a folding or roll-up cover, and need to retain function of the ram boxes. I also have the bed rail utility kit, and I’m hopeful to find a cover that allows me to continue using the adjustable tie downs. Also, if I could have my cake and eat it too, I’d love to keep the self-opening tailgate functional.

I’m open to options for either soft or hard cover. Very curious to see pics of any options you have or have seen!
Bakflip mx4...i purchased one last week and I absolutely love it..zero interference with the ram boxes, very simple install..no issues whatsoever I'll post more in depth pics later if you like.

Attachments

• 20200405_143250.jpg
    20200405_143250.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 148

Mitragliatrice

Reaction score
I've been following this thread and I've narrowed my choices to Truxedo Sentry CT vs Bak Revolver X4.

Anyone know if either of those interfere with Ramboxes at all? Also, the Truxedo uses an "industrial hook and loop" along the edges... which essentially strong velcro. Anyone know how the Revolver seals along the edges?

Last edited:

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I've been following this thread and I've narrowed my choices to Truxedo Sentry CT vs Bak Revolver X4.

Anyone know if either of those interfere with Ramboxes at all? Also, the Truxedo uses an "industrial hook and loop" along the edges... which essentially strong velcro. Anyone know how the Revolver seals along the edges?
I have the Revolver X4. It doesn’t interfere with the Ramboxes at all. As for sealing on the sides it has a track that the segments sit in. They are held in place with a full length latch. A rubber seal keeps all the rain out. However, there were a few places on mine that I had to use some black silicone caulking to fill in gaps. It isn’t noticeable if you use black. Also had to add additional weatherstripping on each side of tailgate to keep out water. It sounds worse than it is. I think this is the best cover on the market. If I had it to do over again I would buy this again

Mitragliatrice

Reaction score
I have the Revolver X4. It doesn’t interfere with the Ramboxes at all. As for sealing on the sides it has a track that the segments sit in. They are held in place with a full length latch. A rubber seal keeps all the rain out. However, there were a few places on mine that I had to use some black silicone caulking to fill in gaps. It isn’t noticeable if you use black. Also had to add additional weather stripping on each side of tailgate to keep out water. It sounds worse than it is. I think this is the best cover on the market. If I had it to do over again I would buy this again
This is good to know. I like the Revolver better because of the hard top instead of the fabric, but almost $300 more was deterring. If you get a chance, would you mind snapping a picture of the additional weather stripping so I can better visualize it? The caulking doesn't concern me too much. Having to sure things up is just good care of your cover. Also, no interference of the ramboxes is major. Thanks for the reply!

Cravenfan

Reaction score
It’s clear mine is installed differently causing the tie downs to not fit - weird. The rambox on mine will stay open after the weather strip gets broken in, but I wanted to show you that it does “interfere” with opening and closing.

There is also a gap between each rambox and the tailgate that I had to stuff weather stripping foam into to keep water out. You can see the gap on the others pics and the small strip at the back on mine in the open bed pic. Definitely a design miss. The retrax roll top itself is quality and very well made, so it’s not a bad choice at all. I also miss the pull strap from the roll n lock design (not offered for 5th gen w/rambox); may add one later. You’ve got a pretty good idea of the pros & cons now. Good luck.

View attachment 52866

View attachment 52867
Interesting, your “C clamp” and the side bolt are flipped to my installation. Regardless, you should have usage of the rail tie down from C clamp, to C clamp. 53D53F79-4A6C-4C2C-859C-04561DE84F6E.jpeg

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

I ended up finding a used Retrax MX Pro at a price I couldn’t pass up. Such a nice cover! I would have preferred the Matte, but actually really ended up liking the gloss on my black truck more than I would have guessed!
988ddb3488b99933791a86b48e7b2139.jpg
e21624342c7263e27368c4022bffa27b.jpg

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

I ended up finding a used Retrax MX Pro at a price I couldn’t pass up. Such a nice cover! I would have preferred the Matte, but actually really ended up liking the gloss on my black truck more than I would have guessed!
988ddb3488b99933791a86b48e7b2139.jpg
e21624342c7263e27368c4022bffa27b.jpg

Looks sharp...looks like you could go either way on that...I like my matte black, but only because I have other accessories in that color, but looking at how your side matches with the cover, it works!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you guys using for tailgate gaskets? There are some giant holes at the back rails I’d like to fill, also maybe fill the bottom of the tailgate from dust collection

Mitragliatrice

Reaction score
What are you guys using for tailgate gaskets? There are some giant holes at the back rails I’d like to fill, also maybe fill the bottom of the tailgate from dust collection
Curious what people say about this. I found some on Truck Hero but they just look like expensive weather stripping to me. Any reason these are different than a roll of WS from Home Depot?

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I bought a few different sizes and types of weather stripping off Amazon for the gaps at the top sides of the tailgate. I didn’t do anything at the bottom of the tailgate for dust. I am not in much dust and it hasn’t been a problem yet. I’ve mostly focused on keeping water out

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Curious what people say about this. I found some on Truck Hero but they just look like expensive weather stripping to me. Any reason these are different than a roll of WS from Home Depot?

Doesn't seem to address the top corners, where the top of the rail meets the top of the tailgate. There is about an inch of space there to let dust in. Helps around the edges probably?

justahbustah

Reaction score

View attachment 52866

View attachment 52867
Thank you for sharing those pics! I was excited to install mine today but got stumped when I realized I couldn't clamp the rails in place as described in the instructions...this explains why I got a few extra pieces of hardware :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/