5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utility Bed Rails Install

iceman40

Reaction score
Does anybody have the nutsert part number that comes with the rail system?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's a DeeZee. Fits perfectly and offers great cushion.

B

I have the exact same setup, spray-in liner and Dee Zee bed mat. I had one on my F150 for 4 years, never removed it, when I finally took it off, the paint looked brand new!

The big reason for that mat is that nothing moves around in the bed with it in place. Also protects the finish on more delicate items you put in your bed, like furniture for example.

deanfx

Reaction score
I think I just used round m6 because the ones that came with the rails spun in the holes anyway.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI bed rail owners + cross reference info

DanD

Reaction score
I thought I would share this video I found that made putting in the nut inserts real easy without spending $60 on the tool.
I have a question how do you know when to stop tightening the nut insert? I used the method in the video but I’m not sure when to stop.

Damion

Reaction score
Carefull using an impact. The rivnuts can spin inside the holes in the bed or the bolts themselves can break

Rustin5

Reaction score
By the way the part # for the riv nuts are 6104885AA. Pricey little things. Correction I made a typo before

Last edited:

Damion

Reaction score
Yes they are, seems most upgrades seem to be around the $400 cad range. Rails included. I lucked out, a guy bought a truck that had them but he didn't want them so the dealer took em out and took the price off the truck. Luckly the parts girl at the dealership likes me, and when I priced the rails she told me about these.

Less than half price but still new, seemed like a great deal for me

BigBear1612

Reaction score
I decided I needed to put the rails on before they installed the spray-on bed liner and Roll n Lock tonneau cover. I got the tool from Amazon ($29) and it was a piece of cake to install the rails with it. It took me maybe an hour to finish the install. I highly recommend the tool, well worth the $29 it made the whole job very easy.

The Critic

Reaction score
Bumping this thread. I just ordered the utility bed rails and a nutsert tool. My bed was sprayed with Line-X so the holes appear to be round. Will I be able to install the nutserts with the tool, or do I need to "enlarge" the holes first?

Thanks.

Rustin5

Reaction score
Bumping this thread. I just ordered the utility bed rails and a nutsert tool. My bed was sprayed with Line-X so the holes appear to be round. Will I be able to install the nutserts with the tool, or do I need to "enlarge" the holes first?

Thanks.
I bought an Insert tool from 4 wheel parts and it seemed pretty well made by smitty built, however I still had to go to each hole and clean up the bed liner with a small square file

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I put the rails on mine a couple weeks ago and the holes were a tight fit for the hex shape and I DON’T have a bed liner sprayed in mine yet! I was worried about this exact thing so wanted to put these in before getting the liner.

Thanks.

Rogo725

Reaction score
I decided I needed to put the rails on before they installed the spray-on bed liner and Roll n Lock tonneau cover. I got the tool from Amazon ($29) and it was a piece of cake to install the rails with it. It took me maybe an hour to finish the install. I highly recommend the tool, well worth the $29 it made the whole job very easy.

i was thinking of doing the rails before the spray in liner, so I guess that’s a smart route to go. Which tool from amazon did you get again?

BigBear1612

Reaction score
I used this one from Amazon, it made the install very easy. WINMAX TOOLS AUTOMOTIVE Hand Riveter Gun Kit 13" Rivet Nutsert Tool RIV Nuts Pneumatic Threaded Pop W/Rivet Nuts

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Line-x spray and I tried the method using a bolt and two nuts nut gave up and ordered a rivnut kit from Amazon with next day delivery and had the rails installed in no time with the kit.

The Critic

Reaction score
Line-x spray and I tried the method using a bolt and two nuts nut gave up and ordered a rivnut kit from Amazon with next day delivery and had the rails installed in no time with the kit.

Same here. Ruined two of the included nutserts too; had to use some of the included ones from the kit.

750e621093248be13e4cbd522d7824d9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread