5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to pull the trigger today/tomorrow - question

Skidowntown

Reaction score
I can get the Rebel that I like, but not w/ eTorque. I can either purchase w/out, or get it w/a diesel.

Is this a showstopper for you guys? I know the eTorque doesn't do a whole lot, but is it worth getting it vs. the regular Hemi?

Thank you!

Skidowntown

Reaction score
Thank you! When would you consider the diesel over the Hemi? If they were the same price, would you take the Diesel.

Thanks again, trying to get this done!

moparleo51

Reaction score
i would go with the vvt hemi not the torque hemi,like they said unless your are towing alot the regular is just fine and you dont have to worry about the damn engine shutting off when you stop.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Thank you! When would you consider the diesel over the Hemi? If they were the same price, would you take the Diesel.

Thanks again, trying to get this done!
If mpg was a big concern, didn't do a lot of city short trips, was willing to allow your truck to be in shop for possible diesel related issues then consider the eco diesel. If pure driving pleasure with maximum reliability go hemi. I'm not an anti diesel guy either, I have owned them since the first gen Cummins and power stroke were available. My current needs combined with all the diesel emissions bs has put me in gassers recently.

jkm312

Reaction score
I would skip the e-torque. I didn't see where it added much of anything useful for my purposes.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ll go against the flow and say that the ET would be fine. When I bought in April 2019 it was new enough and had some “teething” issues with batteries and generators going out (and there were no parts nationwide). That plus the extra cost made it a no vote for me.

Now since they’ve rectified most of the parts backlog and I actually see the positive of city stop and go with the engine off, I’d be ok with it.

I think that it’s unnecessary for a long highway drive comfort vehicle. with no towing and little city use, where’s the advantage? Conversely, if you are in town a lot and/or plan to tow...

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
E-torque?...no thanks, just another thing to go wrong. Keep it simple if you can. 5.7 been around forever, no surprises.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I got the truck I got because it didn’t have etorque...
I despise start/stop.

If you can still find them without it, I would jump on that.
Cheers,

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the eTorque Hemi, but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't bother if the truck has everything else you want. Haven't seen any benefit from it, although the start/stop function is the smoothest I've experienced in any vehicle so far.

smashweights

Reaction score
Etorque is nice. Barely noticeable stop/start, keeps the AC going, supposedly smoothes out shifting. It's nice at long lights to have the motor off for what seems like forever. I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker though if you find a deal on a truck with everything else you want.

steveved

Reaction score
I have the e-Torque Hemi in my Laramie. Honestly, it had no bearing on my decision. I bought this truck because it was the color, trim and had the features I wanted (4x4, crew cab, etc) and none I didn't (didn't want pano roof because of leaks and didn't want 12" screen because of early bugs). Although mine does have e-Torque, I would have bought this truck if it was the std Hemi.

To be honest, I think e-Torque is a gimmick to charge you more. My truck does not get any better gas mileage as my buddie's 2017 Hemi. In fact, he gets slightly better mpg. But, it might be because I have a heavier foot.

As far as problems? My truck was built in August 2018, I bought it in October 2018. Zero issues with this truck after 30k miles.

Again, IMHO, don't let e-Torque or lack thereof deter you. Truck will be great either way. Especially if what you found has all of the other features that you want.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have eTorque and love it. For $200 it's a great deal. I love sitting at a stoplight for 2-3 minutes and burning no fuel. It's a small thing that when multiplied by hundreds of thousands of cars makes a difference in energy savings and air quality.

Users who are viewing this thread