5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

should I buy a new Ram 1500

DCFireSgt

Reaction score
I was considering buying a new Ram 1500 Limited but after reading quite a few post I'm having 2nd thoughts. I see a lot of issues with these high dollar pick ups and for what they cost build quality and customer service quality seems like it should be 2nd to none. I'm a GM guy but when I saw the new Ram I was impressed to the point of going to the dealer and considered on buying one. Now I don't know.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I believe your confirmation bias will lead you to the obvious answer to your question: no.

SacRebel

Reaction score
First off, all forums are polluted with complaints, that just the nature of them. But if you read the reviews the truck gets top marks across the board. The second thing you need to ask yourself is do I need a truck right now. If you don't wait! Manufacturers are going to be desperate after all this and you will probably get an amazing price and financing deal in a few months.

Keezer

Reaction score
I was considering buying a new Ram 1500 Limited but after reading quite a few post I'm having 2nd thoughts. I see a lot of issues with these high dollar pick ups and for what they cost build quality and customer service quality seems like it should be 2nd to none.
Half million or so Rams built a year and 25k +- folks on a forum with maybe half that # of complaints, good luck buying anything if its based on overall forum input.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I always say if in doubt step away, no one here will be able to ease your worries. I’ve yet to find one wrinkle free manufacturer that’s under the $100K mark and is a daily driver.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is turning into a weekly newbie thread. Apparently there are a lot of forum newbies out there.

OP, don't buy one. You'll spend money on gas, insurance, tires. And.... You might have a warranty claim at some point. I'd stay away from all vehicles...

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always been a Caddie guy and took the leap to Ram and couldn’t be happier. I’ve had my Limited since September and have had no issues whatsoever. Go test drive one and you’ll be sold, then post some pics of your new Ram here.

Moe1962

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I had a F-150 and had no issues at 154K miles. I bought my Ram that was a former rental. I've had it since May and its been in the shop once to have the eprom flashed when I added the trailer brake controller. I don't have the Limited, I have a Bighorn and I'm not looking back. No issues with it. It doesn't have everything as if I would have ordered one, but I didn't have to wait and I can upgrade exactly what I want and not a dealer prices. Good luck.

kthibs22

Reaction score
Forums are filled with complaints of issues, most people posting to see if someone else had the issue to see what they did to resolve it, others to just vent and complain. No matter what forum you are on GM, Ford, Ram they will all be this way. Best thing you can do is go drive all of them, see what you like. I myself did this and loved the Limited so that’s what I ordered.

jkm312

Reaction score
Yep, buy one, don't look back.
I came over from GM, couldn't be more pleased with my truck.
I use it, but I don't misuse it.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
If you do some research, you'll see that Ram has an issue with consistent quality. Look at JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc. I know people that have had few issues with their Rams, but the reality seems to be that they are more of a quality risk than other trucks.

Rams have many great features, buyers have to decide what's important to them and take a leap of faith.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I’ve always been a Caddie guy and took the leap to Ram and couldn’t be happier. I’ve had my Limited since September and have had no issues whatsoever. Go test drive one and you’ll be sold, then post some pics of your new Ram here.

I came from a caddie too, part from 2 TSBs it’s flawless

AbitaPro

Reaction score
I was considering buying a new Ram 1500 Limited but after reading quite a few post I'm having 2nd thoughts. I see a lot of issues with these high dollar pick ups and for what they cost build quality and customer service quality seems like it should be 2nd to none. I'm a GM guy but when I saw the new Ram I was impressed to the point of going to the dealer and considered on buying one. Now I don't know.
That’s a decision you alone have to make. Just a few thoughts. If you check Ford, GMC, Chevy Forums your going to find complaints and issues on each truck, from the top of the line to the basic work trucks. People complain they do it n a forum. Ram sells thousands of new 1500 series trucks, and their Forums only have a small almost insignificant number of owners on them complaining. But if you read enough you can start to see where some are reporting similar issues, i.e. 3rd brake taillight leaks. Ford has the same issue. Actually I replaced the bulbs on my Limited with LED’s, and it seemed to me that the Ram 3rd brake light housing was better designed than Ford. Mine doesn’t leak, but f it does, silicone is not expensive.

I had Ford Trucks for decades, always thought Chevy/GMC was more comfortable and rode better than Fords, and would have considered going with one. Never even remotely had the thought of considering a new Ram 1500 until my son brought one home. Took a short ride, and it was time to take a closer look. Kept one on a test drive over the weekend and bought a Limited on Monday, that was back in June of 2019. I love the truck, enjoy the comfort, luxury, sport ride and believe it’s the Best Designed Vehicle I have ever owned!

steveved

Reaction score
Go over to the 2019-2020 Silverado and Sierra forum and check out the 127 page thread on rear window leaks. Read about the brake by wire issues they are having. Then tell me that they are any more reliable than the new RAM.

Personally, I believe that all 3 of the major truck makers are having quality issues with their latest offerings. And there are service department horror stories from all 3...

So, like other posters here have mentioned: drive all 3 brands, then decide which you want to live with for the next 3 - 6 years.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
People usually come to a forum to complain so you are getting skewed data. I will say a common denominator you should be aware of is questionable service, but again take that with a grain of salt. I have been satisfied with my service department and they have also let me down, great at recall/TSB but terrible at chasing gremlins

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I hate how people come to forums to complain about other people complaining in forums. Hmmmm :unsure:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I would imagine they don't give a Limited any more quality checks or any more attention than a Tradesman when the trucks are moving down the assembly line. So it doesn't matter if you spend $70k or $30k, you have the same quality (or lack thereof) for both trucks. Some dealerships might treat a Limited customer better than they treat someone who buys a base trim level, but I would hope not.

My opinion on this is to find a dealership you are comfortable with. After all, that's who you will primarily be working with if you have any issues. But don't make your decision based on what you read in forums.

Users who are viewing this thread