5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

JamesS

Reaction score
I have recently completed retrofitting my 23 gallon tank to the 33 gallon tank. This was a bit more involved than I originally thought, and I had a few issues along the way. I want to thank Dixit for answering many questions and posting great detailed pics of the installation. I will not be re-posting pics, since his documentation is so thorough. I do want to list all the parts needed to convert a 23 gallon tank to a 33 gallon tank and document one major issue:

Here is all the part numbers needed to retrofit the 33 gallon tank into a truck that was originally purchased with a 23 gallon tank:

* PN 68408875AC - 33 gallon Tank
* PN 5203045AB - Strap. This is a third strap that has to be added to the 33 gal tank. The other two straps from the 23 gallon get removed. The bracket that the strap goes into may or not be there. Dixit had this bracket on his truck, but mine did not. I recently stopped at a dealership and none of the 26 gal or 23 gal tank trucks had this. I plan on fabricating a bracket in order to put this third strap on. Right now, I am running the truck with about 1/2 a tank of fuel until I get this done. The attached pic has the bracket needed circled in red.
* PN 52029908AB - this is a hose is shorter and connects to 52030443AB
* PN 52030443AB Vent line
* PN 68307831AA - Vapor tube
* PN 52029888AC - Vapor Canister. The larger tank uses a larger vapor canister
* PN 52029909AC - Vent Hose
* PN 6104717AA - nut to connect third tank strap
* PN 68409160AD - Fuel pump. The 33 gallon tank requires this fuel pump and is a different pn than the one in the 23 gallon tank.
All in all it was not extremely difficult to do the swap. I did it with the help of a friend and a lift in about 3 hours. However, double check all your parts ahead of time. I put all the the parts that get fixed to the tank on ahead of time. In doing so, I found that one of the hoses had the correct part number tagged on the part, but the part was not correct. I had to order another, and this time, it came in correct. I was told incorrectly labeled parts are not uncommon. Cost is the biggest issue. When I first decided to do this, I thought there was only going to be about $600 in parts. That was until I found out I needed a new canister and fuel pump. It ended up costing about $1,200 and that is with a 25% discount from my dealer. Before you order parts, look on line or talk to your parts guy for a discount. The other big issue is the missing frame bracket for the third strap. I am really surprised that they did not just include this on all the trucks. It's not a huge issue, as there are ways to do it, but it is an added problem that I did not expect. Best advice is to order the truck with the 33 gallon tank. Good luck.
You state that the 33 gallon tank part # is 68408876AC in post #104 but in post #129 it is listed as part # is 68408875AC. Can you confirm what one is correct?

JamesS

Reaction score
You state that the 33 gallon tank part # is 68408876AC in post #104 but in post #129 it is listed as part # is 68408875AC. Can you confirm what one is correct?
Sorry Dixit posted that part # on post 104

Dixit

Reaction score
Theres so many of these part numbers and hard to keep it all in track since I dont have access to the actual dealer parts network side.

But the one ending in 75C seems to state its for 5.7L and the one ending in 76C seems to say its for 3.6L but both are 33gal tanks as far as description goes and dont see how the engine size even matters.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tank I purchased is 68408875AC. I have seen the other part number but don’t remember if there was any differences. This was the correct tank and is what is listed on my receipt. I had the dealer cross check everything before I ordered. Hope that helps.

JamesS

Reaction score
The tank I purchased is 68408875AC. I have seen the other part number but don’t remember if there was any differences. This was the correct tank and is what is listed on my receipt. I had the dealer cross check everything before I ordered. Hope that helps.

Ok. Thank you for clearing that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesS

Reaction score
Not yet. I’ve been filling up only about 2/3 full. Once the weather turned, I put it on hold. How to get to it soon, now that spring is hopefully getting closer. I will update this as soon as I get it figured out.
[/QUOTE
Have you come up with a brackets for the third strap? I was going to order the parts but don’t want to order yet because of this problem. I looked under my truck also and it’s not there. I have the chance to get all the parts for 641.00 with shipping.

dmfd199

Reaction score
Just the labor and equipment price to install that and get stuff calibrated may cost $1500

I had a local dealer shoot me a quote for a swap from a 26 gal to 33 gal tank on a 2020 Laramie and they said $1450

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a local dealer shoot me a quote for a swap from a 26 gal to 33 gal tank on a 2020 Laramie and they said $1450
That’s not a bad price. Check to see if your truck has the cross brace for the third strap that is required for the longer tank. This is the biggest issue with swapping from the 23 gallon tank. Some 26 gal trucks seem to have but others I’ve looked at do not.

Texan4Life

Reaction score
33 gal fuel tank was one of two concessions (didn't get the multi function tailgate either) I made when I bought my truck. Don't get me wrong LOVE my truck but would like it even more if i had these extra options.

My dealer quoted me over $2000 in parts and said they wouldn't take on the job. Basically said they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. They claimed it had a different frame/rerouted brake lines, maybe having to weld on the frame for the 3rd bracket, maintaining warranty, blah blah... I was nice but call BS. its a factory option - you'd think the dealer I bought my brand new truck from could install a factory option. The main thing seems to be if my truck has the provisions for the 3rd tank strap. I haven't gotten under my truck yet but will soon weather permitting and if it looks like I do have the mounting provisions I'm moving forward with it, with or without the dealers help. They said they could change the sales code in the computer for me so everything reads correctly at least.

Does anyone know if the fuel tank skid plate is any different between 26gal and 33 gal?

This is on a 2020 Lonestar crew cab 4x4 hemi with offroad package. 26gal fuel tank (hopefully for not much longer, lol)

Texan4Life

Reaction score
There was no skid plate on the tank for my limited so not sure. The only key difference in the tanks (26 vs 33) is the 33gal has a longer end (which basically goes under the rear seats more. The rest of the tank is identical (26 vs 33) if you look at my pics on post 117 (https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/retrofitting-the-33-gallon-tank.1621/post-205597)

Dixit

Thanks. yeah the side by side pic is super helpful! Basically confirms what I suspected - a lot of parts will swap over and i see it has the inset rib for the 3rd tank strap.

Dixit

Reaction score
If you go back to that post and go forward you will see how i did this, best way honestly is get the tank from a junkyard with most of the components on it. I went through details on what parts I needed and I believe are needed. Rammit also compiled a list, his was slightly different cause he came from a 23gal to a 33gal. But key as Rammit has mentioned is make sure you have the spot to hold the 3rd tank strap, mine luckily had it so it was a joke to swap over, took me only 2hrs to do the swap basically myself (I had the tank damn near empty on purpose).

Aaron Mopar

Reaction score
I have recently completed retrofitting my 23 gallon tank to the 33 gallon tank. This was a bit more involved than I originally thought, and I had a few issues along the way. I want to thank Dixit for answering many questions and posting great detailed pics of the installation. I will not be re-posting pics, since his documentation is so thorough. I do want to list all the parts needed to convert a 23 gallon tank to a 33 gallon tank and document one major issue:

Here is all the part numbers needed to retrofit the 33 gallon tank into a truck that was originally purchased with a 23 gallon tank:

* PN 68408875AC - 33 gallon Tank
* PN 5203045AB - Strap. This is a third strap that has to be added to the 33 gal tank. The other two straps from the 23 gallon get removed. The bracket that the strap goes into may or not be there. Dixit had this bracket on his truck, but mine did not. I recently stopped at a dealership and none of the 26 gal or 23 gal tank trucks had this. I plan on fabricating a bracket in order to put this third strap on. Right now, I am running the truck with about 1/2 a tank of fuel until I get this done. The attached pic has the bracket needed circled in red.
* PN 52029908AB - this is a hose is shorter and connects to 52030443AB
* PN 52030443AB Vent line
* PN 68307831AA - Vapor tube
* PN 52029888AC - Vapor Canister. The larger tank uses a larger vapor canister
* PN 52029909AC - Vent Hose
* PN 6104717AA - nut to connect third tank strap
* PN 68409160AD - Fuel pump. The 33 gallon tank requires this fuel pump and is a different pn than the one in the 23 gallon tank.
All in all it was not extremely difficult to do the swap. I did it with the help of a friend and a lift in about 3 hours. However, double check all your parts ahead of time. I put all the the parts that get fixed to the tank on ahead of time. In doing so, I found that one of the hoses had the correct part number tagged on the part, but the part was not correct. I had to order another, and this time, it came in correct. I was told incorrectly labeled parts are not uncommon. Cost is the biggest issue. When I first decided to do this, I thought there was only going to be about $600 in parts. That was until I found out I needed a new canister and fuel pump. It ended up costing about $1,200 and that is with a 25% discount from my dealer. Before you order parts, look on line or talk to your parts guy for a discount. The other big issue is the missing frame bracket for the third strap. I am really surprised that they did not just include this on all the trucks. It's not a huge issue, as there are ways to do it, but it is an added problem that I did not expect. Best advice is to order the truck with the 33 gallon tank. Good luck.

I was looking into swapping to a 33 gal, but after reading all of your useful information I think I'll just add a vertically narrow auxiliary tank in the front of the bed that connects to the main tank. I think the 6'4" bed can spare some room for it. It looks to be way easier, way cheaper, and combined with the main tank it will hold more than 33 gallons.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking into swapping to a 33 gal, but after reading all of your useful information I think I'll just add a vertically narrow auxiliary tank in the front of the bed that connects to the main tank. I think the 6'4" bed can spare some room for it. It looks to be way easier, way cheaper, and combined with the main tank it will hold more than 33 gallons.
That is a good idea. I have the small bed so it wasn’t really an option. Post some pics and info when you complete it. I’d like to see it.

Boston

Reaction score
It seems pretty common to have either 33 gallon tank or trailer brake control fitted at the factory. Not both. Unless you buy a limited.
If I have to chose, I’ll go with factory 33 and dealer installed TBC.

dlynch34

Reaction score
Well confirmed Range to empty reprogramming worked as expected with AlfaOBD. First time cracking 500miles with a fillup I just did.

And that 352 was my actual 26gal trip mileage.

73e020c90adcd934443e6f3ae3afd4a8.jpg
so I have all the items I think I need to change this setting but I get an error. What are the tricks to doing this?

Dixit

Reaction score
so I have all the items I think I need to change this setting but I get an error. What are the tricks to doing this?
I answered this in the AlphaOBD thread earlier today.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Sat down and read this thread from front to back. VERY INTERESTED.
Just went out side and looked to see if I had the forward most bracket and NOPE! I checked my build sheet on the Mopar site and I have the 26 gal, but no bracket. However I DO see two threaded studs in the body around the spot I would have expected to see the bracket. Possible mounting site?

Users who are viewing this thread