5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Phone Charger Install

TVANVA

Reaction score
I installed the Mopar Wireless Phone Charging Pad in my Big Horn yesterday. I didn't take pictures since the Mopar Install doc (link below) has very good diagrams, and the tricky parts under the dash would have been almost impossible to photograph.

First, let me say that this install is not trivial and not fully "plug and play". You will be disassembling and unplugging a good deal of the dashboard face and console front. The Mopar doc says you "might" have to do soldered wire joins if connectors are already in use, and in my case, I had to solder both connections (and I don't have very many electronic options, so you will likely have to as well). This means you need decent soldering skills and the agility to work in very confined spaces up under the dash with a hot iron.

But, if I can do it, you can too.

Here are my additional "cheat" notes to let you know the things that Mopar left out. They are keyed to the Mopar diagrams linked above.

1 - You "can" position the seat so you can access the two console bolts for later removal, but if you do that, you need to be the size of a Kentucky Derby jockey to get up under the dash to make the electrical connections. I did what the instructions said and it stunk. Better to chose one of the following:
a - Pop off the little plastic cover and remove both drivers side console 10mm bolts (as shown in Step 10), then move the seat all the way back before disconnecting the battery.
b - Take the seat out entirely. Move the seat to the middle position, disconnect the battery, unlatch and disconnect the yellow connector under the seat, then remove four E-Torx 10mm bolts holding the seat.

2 - That's a 10mm bolt on the battery connection.

4 - Diagram shows a Torx, but mine were combination 7mm hex and Phillips.

5 - First, put a towel down on the console. Use a plastic pry tool and start near where the diagram shows. Once you get you fingers underneath, work around the edges, trying to pull straight out. Lean control panel on the towel so you don't scratch anything.

6 - There are way more connectors than shown. Note that the radio ones are similar sizes, but color coded. They all are locking connectors, so you have to find the latch, pinch, then pull out.

7 - Try to pull straight out. This was the only panel where I tore two of the loops holding the orange retaining clips. Clips fell inside the dash and I had to fish them out. They still work fine.

10 - 13 - 10mm hex bolts. The console slides back rather easily after all six bolts are out.

14 - More of the combination 7mm hex and Phillips. The back ones are on the support for the CD player.

18 - 20 - All locking connectors on the console. Sometimes the latch is not obvious, but it is there.

23 - My replacement panel already had the inserts. I took mine out, so if you loose yours, I have some spares.

24 - The clips on the backside are obscured by the panel. I used an old fashioned paint can opener with the little hook to reach in and depress the latch.

28 - The screws supplied in the kit were T20 torx.

30 - Screws are 7mm hex.

31 - All three connectors are locking. I used the plastic pry tool to depress the latch on the light. Mopar doesn't mention the freaking hood latch is on that panel. I couldn't get it loose, so I left it attached and slid the panel up under the pedals.

32 - The BCM is mounted behind the kick panel. Fortunately, the C5 connector is fairly easy to access.

33 - The "swing latch" on these large connectors has a little latch on the plastic hood covering the wires. You need to press down on the hood to release the latch.

NOTE - Before Step 34 - You are about to make wire connections in two different junction boxes. My new charger harness was wrapped in tape too far down, so that there was not enough exposed wire to make "unstressed" connections. Do yourself a favor and trim the black wrapping tape back 3 to 4 inches (leaving about 8 inches of exposed wire) before you make the connections.

34 - My pin 45 was already filled. I used a mini screwdriver to release the tiny latch on the connector pin and pull it out of the connector. This gave me more slack in the wires to make splice shown in the diagrams on Page 9. When done, I just plugged it back in the connector.

35 - I was confused when i looked at the Mopar instructions since the C3 connector shown was next to the mounting tab with one hole, not two. The layout of the connectors looked the same, so I think I got the right connector (the one next to the two pin connector with huge wires). Unlatch and pull free. Note that there is very little slack in the wires to work with.

36 - My connector had a wire tie that I had to cut off to get the connector out of the hood. The connector slides out of the hood as shown, but you have to depress a tiny latch (shown as the little square box on the diagram). I pushed the connector out of the hood by poking a small allen wrench in a hole on the end of the hood.

37 - Of course my Pin 9 was filled, and is a large connector. To get slack, I pulled the pin out of the connector by popping off the red retainer on the bottom of the connector and using a micro screwdriver to depress the latch on the pin and pull it out of the housing.

38 - The wire on Pin 9 was about 14 or 12 gauge, so the little metal crimp Mopar supplied was going to be too small. I ended up pulling the insulation off a common yellow butt connector and crimping the 12 gauge back together with the small charger harness wire tucked in one end, then soldering, then heat shrinking. Be aware that the Mopar supplied heat shrink won't fit over the wire terminal, so you need to slide it on the wire before crimping, then hold it out of the way while soldering......over your head.....under the dash......in the dark......not fun. Now you see why I made the suggestions for Step 1.

39 - Mine didn't have a wire tie to begin with, so I didn't put one back on.

41 - 42 - Putting the large connectors back is pretty easy with the "swing latches". If you took the latch off to work on the connector, make sure you put it back on the right way or it won't latch.

44 - The only easy connection. It is at the kick panel, right at the door lip.

48 - Be sure to go backwards through the instructions document so you don't miss a connector!

BONUS - For all my pain and suffering under the dash, my charger came on and works fine even without the DealerCONNECT flash to put in the sales code. It is finicky about the phone/pad placement.

runamuck

Reaction score
I installed the Mopar Wireless Phone Charging Pad in my Big Horn yesterday. I didn't take pictures since the Mopar Install doc (link below) has very good diagrams, and the tricky parts under the dash would have been almost impossible to photograph.

First, let me say that this install is not trivial and not fully "plug and play". You will be disassembling and unplugging a good deal of the dashboard face and console front. The Mopar doc says you "might" have to do soldered wire joins if connectors are already in use, and in my case, I had to solder both connections (and I don't have very many electronic options, so you will likely have to as well). This means you need decent soldering skills and the agility to work in very confined spaces up under the dash with a hot iron.

Here are my additional "cheat" notes to let you know the things that Mopar left out. They are keyed to the Mopar diagrams linked above.

1 - You "can" position the seat so you can access the two console bolts for later removal, but if you do that, you need to be the size of a Kentucky Derby jockey to get up under the dash to make the electrical connections. I did what the instructions said and it stunk. Better to chose one of the following:
a - Pop off the little plastic cover and remove both drivers side console 10mm bolts (as shown in Step 10), then move the seat all the way back before disconnecting the battery.
b - Take the seat out entirely. Move the seat to the middle position, disconnect the battery, unlatch and disconnect the yellow connector under the seat, then remove four E-Torx 10mm bolts holding the seat.

5 - First, put a towel down on the console. Use a plastic pry tool and start near where the diagram shows. Once you get you fingers underneath, work around the edges, trying to pull straight out. Lean control panel on the towel so you don't scratch anything.

6 - There are way more connectors than shown. Note that the radio ones are similar sizes, but color coded. They all are locking connectors, so you have to find the latch, pinch, then pull out.

7 - Try to pull straight out. This was the only panel where I tore two of the loops holding the orange retaining clips. Clips fell inside the dash and I had to fish them out. They still work fine.

10 - 13 - 10mm hex bolts. The console slides back rather easily after all six bolts are out.

14 - More of the combination 7mm hex and Phillips. The back ones are on the support for the CD player.

18 - 20 - All locking connectors on the console. Sometimes the latch is not obvious, but it is there.

23 - My replacement panel already had the inserts. I took mine out, so if you loose yours, I have some spares.

24 - The clips on the backside are obscured by the panel. I used an old fashioned paint can opener with the little hook to reach in and depress the latch.

30 - Screws are 7mm hex.

31 - All three connectors are locking. I used the plastic pry tool to depress the latch on the light. Mopar doesn't mention the freaking hood latch is on that panel. I couldn't get it loose, so I left it attached and slid the panel up under the pedals.

32 - The BCM is mounted behind the kick panel. Fortunately, the C5 connector is fairly easy to access.

33 - The "swing latch" on these large connectors has a little latch on the plastic hood covering the wires. You need to press down on the hood to release the latch.

NOTE - Before Step 34 - You are about to make wire connections in two different junction boxes. My new charger harness was wrapped in tape too far down, so that there was not enough exposed wire to make "unstressed" connections. Do yourself a favor and trim the black wrapping tape back 3 to 4 inches (leaving about 8 inches of exposed wire) before you make the connections.

34 - My pin 45 was already filled. I used a mini screwdriver to release the tiny latch on the connector pin and pull it out of the connector. This gave me more slack in the wires to make splice shown in the diagrams on Page 9. When done, I just plugged it back in the connector.

35 - I was confused when i looked at the Mopar instructions since the C3 connector shown was next to the mounting tab with one hole, not two. The layout of the connectors looked the same, so I think I got the right connector (the one next to the two pin connector with huge wires). Unlatch and pull free. Note that there is very little slack in the wires to work with.

36 - My connector had a wire tie that I had to cut off to get the connector out of the hood. The connector slides out of the hood as shown, but you have to depress a tiny latch (shown as the little square box on the diagram). I pushed the connector out of the hood by poking a small allen wrench in a hole on the end of the hood.

37 - Of course my Pin 9 was filled, and is a large connector. To get slack, I pulled the pin out of the connector by popping off the red retainer on the bottom of the connector and using a micro screwdriver to depress the latch on the pin and pull it out of the housing.

38 - The wire on Pin 9 was about 14 or 12 gauge, so the little metal crimp Mopar supplied was going to be too small. I ended up pulling the insulation off a common yellow butt connector and crimping the 12 gauge back together with the small charger harness wire tucked in one end, then soldering, then heat shrinking. Be aware that the Mopar supplied heat shrink won't fit over the wire terminal, so you need to slide it on the wire before crimping, then hold it out of the way while soldering......over your head.....under the dash......in the dark......not fun. Now you see why I made the suggestions for Step 1.

41 - 42 - Putting the large connectors back is pretty easy with the "swing latches". If you took the latch off to work on the connector, make sure you put it back on the right way or it won't latch.

48 - Be sure to go backwards through the instructions document so you don't miss a connector!

BONUS - For all my pain and suffering under the dash, my charger came on and works fine even without the DealerCONNECT flash to put in the sales code. It is finicky about the phone/pad placement.
did you take out or slide back the console. I tried to take mine out to get under it and after taking out the two bolts on each side, something in the front was still holding it so I gave up for now. thanx for posting link. I think it will do the trick

Last edited:

TVANVA

Reaction score
I just slid back the console, but it is held in by six 10mm bolts. The four on the side of the console are obvious, but the two under the dash are hidden by the dash components.

I'm thinking you would have to do steps 1 thru 13, plus the two screws on the CD player in step 14, to get the console to slide back. To take it out, you would have to undo all the electrical connectors listed in the diagram.

Viper67

Reaction score
How fast does it charge? Is it like plugged into the inverter or is it like USB charging?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TVANVA

Reaction score
It is moderately fast, like you used a fairly cheap wall wart charger. Seems typical of other wireless chargers I have used. My charge improved about 25% in about 20 minutes if that tells you anything.

I have a Morphie case on my phone, so your results may vary.

It is picky about exact placement in the "gripper". Took some experimenting, but I can hit it pretty consistently now (by laying my phone sideways, since it is an 8S).

Seanbeck1

Reaction score

30 - Screws are 7mm hex.

Step 36 - Do you have any pictures of the second splice that is required. I spliced the first (orange) wire but the instructions for the second splice are confusing.

Also, after turning my truck back on I realized that I’m missing my SiriusXM and some of my vehicle controls are missing (heated seats and steering wheel etc). Any idea what this could be?

Thanks

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Step 36 - Do you have any pictures of the second splice that is required. I spliced the first (orange) wire but the instructions for the second splice are confusing.

Also, after turning my truck back on I realized that I’m missing my SiriusXM and some of my vehicle controls are missing (heated seats and steering wheel etc). Any idea what this could be?

Thanks
Okay so the issue with my controls resolved itself. I saw a few other people on the forum saying that settings disappear for a while after disconnecting the battery.

Just looking for some help on the second splice with the wireless charger. I want to make sure I’m splicing into the correct wire and the correct harness. The instructions are pretty bad.

Thanks

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Okay so the issue with my controls resolved itself. I saw a few other people on the forum saying that settings disappear for a while after disconnecting the battery.

Just looking for some help on the second splice with the wireless charger. I want to make sure I’m splicing into the correct wire and the correct harness. The instructions are pretty bad.

Thanks
Did you ever get this figured out? I was installing the charger today and the wire at the 9 pin is pink. The wire directly across from 9 is red.

Damion

Reaction score
Can you take a couple pictures of the back of the panel removed to install the wireless charger?? ( the back panel of the phone holder ). I have a project in mind, but need to see what the back of that panel looks like.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Can you take a couple pictures of the back of the panel removed to install the wireless charger?? ( the back panel of the phone holder ). I have a project in mind, but need to see what the back of that panel looks like.
I can get you pictures of the panel that was removed that doesn't have the charger. The one with the charger is installed.

Damion

Reaction score
that's what I want, the panel without the charger built in..

Thanks

Damion

Reaction score
Thanks a million, thats perfect!!

The panel doesn't look overly thick and is open on the back side, exactly what I was hoping that would be back there. Now for it to warm up enough so I can see if my project is going to work

DonT

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. It did not come with the trailer brake controller or the wireless charger. I installed both of them today.

I had a heck of a time getting to the connectors so I could hook up the orange and red wires. Both connectors already had wires to them. I cut/spliced and soldered the orange wire. The red one was at least 12 gauge and I didn’t want to cut it. I carefully stripped the insulation off the wire after removing it from the connector. I then wrapped the new red wire around the larger red wire and soldered the two together. I used heat shrink on both solder joints.

I have not programmed the new charger and brake controller yet. The climate control, comfort controls, and media functions are not working so I am waiting for them to wake up before I try to program anything new. The charger seems to be working without any programming, as others have noted. There is a setting in the BCM to turn on the wireless charger. I wonder why it is there. Maybe the charger is terminated in a different location from the factory?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I was the only stupid one who went to the dealer and pay for them to program the charger before i plugged it in and checked if it works lol

DonT

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. It did not come with the trailer brake controller or the wireless charger. I installed both of them today.

I had a heck of a time getting to the connectors so I could hook up the orange and red wires. Both connectors already had wires to them. I cut/spliced and soldered the orange wire. The red one was at least 12 gauge and I didn’t want to cut it. I carefully stripped the insulation off the wire after removing it from the connector. I then wrapped the new red wire around the larger red wire and soldered the two together. I used heat shrink on both solder joints.

I have not programmed the new charger and brake controller yet. The climate control, comfort controls, and media functions are not working so I am waiting for them to wake up before I try to program anything new. The charger seems to be working without any programming, as others have noted. There is a setting in the BCM to turn on the wireless charger. I wonder why it is there. Maybe the charger is terminated in a different location from the factory?
After sitting over night everything seems to be back to normal so I set up the trailer brake controller and added the wireless charger. I can now name the trailers as well as picking from the four trailer brake types. While I was in there I also change the fog light drop out so the fogs stay on with high beams.

sscholl

Reaction score
After sitting over night everything seems to be back to normal so I set up the trailer brake controller and added the wireless charger. I can now name the trailers as well as picking from the four trailer brake types. While I was in there I also change the fog light drop out so the fogs stay on with high beams.
How did you reprogram the fog lights to not drop off? Is there some sort of programmer available?

sscholl

Reaction score
I use AlfaOBD to make changes. There is a line in there which says "CBC Feature - Fog lamp dropout enable". Change it's setting from yes to no.
Thanks... it looks like AlphaOBD is the ticket for many configurations.

Users who are viewing this thread