5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gas prices may drop?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe South Carolina under $2.00. Paid 2.09 for 87 and 2.499 for 93 at Costco in NJ, worked out to 2.244/gal for 89.18 (blend 1/3 & 2/3). They had just lowered the price prior to my arrival.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
since we all are driving less now prices are dropping?

Its not so much that demand is dropping as much as Saudi Arabia started an oil war with Russia because the opec+1 group couldn’t agree to throttle output. Russia said they will continue to produce. So Saudi Arabia said they would one up them and flood the market with oil, causing pain for everyone (the producers not the consumers). While this game of chicken is good for the consumers in the short run, if it drives the shale producers (in the US) out of business because of the low price/high cost to produce, this will ultimately hurt us because they will once again become the only game in town. That said, the pandemic has led to far less driving, less airline travel and a mild winter that is now over. You should expect VERY cheap gas for the foreseeable future.

Bear217

Reaction score
Its not so much that demand is dropping as much as Saudi Arabia started an oil war with Russia because the opec+1 group couldn’t agree to throttle output. Russia said they will continue to produce. So Saudi Arabia said they would one up them and flood the market with oil, causing pain for everyone (the producers not the consumers). While this game of chicken is good for the consumers in the short run, if it drives the shale producers (in the US) out of business because of the low price/high cost to produce, this will ultimately hurt us because they will once again become the only game in town. That said, the pandemic has led to far less driving, less airline travel and a mild winter that is now over. You should expect VERY cheap gas for the foreseeable future.

This. The company I work for went from 14 drilling rigs down to 2. We’re finishing up our current projects then shutting down until 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klail

Reaction score
This. The company I work for went from 14 drilling rigs down to 2. We’re finishing up our current projects then shutting down until 2021.

Hopefully that doesn’t put you in a hard spot. Good luck!

Vasa1

Reaction score
Prices have dropped considerably here in Manitoba Canada

Jako

Reaction score

Do you know the barrel cost of oil to stay viable? How long can Saudi Arabia and Russia pull this battle off?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saudi Arabia started an oil war at the the same time demand is way down. Lot's of people working form home or not at all and planes are sitting idle. I'm still commuting into the office every day but I will say traffic is way down, no stop and go can do the speed limit and then some.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but I’m getting better milage due to less traffic. I live a bit north of Austin and have to commute 22 miles one way to work. But less traffic means no bumper to bumper and complete stops. And as of today, we’re working from home. I probably want have to fill up but every two weeks.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Do you know the barrel cost of oil to stay viable? How long can Saudi Arabia and Russia pull this battle off?

Russia is in the red (pun intended) with oil under $50 a barrel so this is not good for them. They are the big losers in this. Saudi Arabia has a lot more rope. The US has become a big player but the timing of the oil war coupled with the economic damage being done by the coronavirus is a bad combo for the US.

kittyjo

Reaction score
NC diesel price 1.99 cheapest I’ve seen in years!!! Lol I pay more for unleaded then diesel lol when does that ever happen

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I paid $1.759 a week ago, just north of Dallas

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kxlexus

Reaction score
$1.69 a gallon in Ky. Probably go down some more, it almost always does after I fill up

SD Rebel

Reaction score
OPEC tried to do similar thing years ago, to destroy the US Frackers by increasing production and lowering prices, but it ended up making them more efficient and able to produce profitably at a lower price point. This is the reason why we haven't had crazy gas prices all these years, US Frackers balancing the power of oil.

This will however force US Frackers to shut down production temporarily, but once OPEC decides to start limiting production and prices go back up, the US oil industry can quickly start pumping again.

What this does to the Russian oil industry, not sure.

Rick J

Reaction score
I'm happy for all of you that are seeing cheaper gas. With oil prices dropping to their lowest price in 18 years I expected to see a price drop at the pump. I put in 28.5 gallons yesterday at $3.09 per gallon. Same price I was paying a month ago. This was for Chevron and the station I use is 10 cents a gallon less than any of the other brand name stations. Costco and Arco are a little cheaper but I won't run Arco in my rig and I won't sit in the lines at Costco to save a couple bucks. We always have among the highest prices in the country.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'm happy for all of you that are seeing cheaper gas. With oil prices dropping to their lowest price in 18 years I expected to see a price drop at the pump. I put in 28.5 gallons yesterday at $3.09 per gallon. Same price I was paying a month ago. This was for Chevron and the station I use is 10 cents a gallon less than any of the other brand name stations. Costco and Arco are a little cheaper but I won't run Arco in my rig and I won't sit in the lines at Costco to save a couple bucks. We always have among the highest prices in the country.

I thought here in California we had the highest, but apparently not. In San Diego, my local Costco for 87 is $2.85 and 91 is $3.05.

What's interesting is the cheapest name brand in my are (Chevron) is $3.39 for regular. We have a bit of a branded gas monopoly here in California, which results in lower competition and higher prices, not to mention our fuel taxes. But a 54 cent difference between Costco and brand name is way too much. That's an almost $11 difference if you fill up with 20 gallons.

Depending on when you go, sometimes there isn't really a line at Costco, even at the heaviest of times, a 10 minute wait is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread