5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finish this sentence: "If I had it all to do over again with my Ram 1500, I would _______________."

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
I sometimes wish I would have gone with the crew cab. The quad cab has grown on me though and since my kids are all grown its worked out very well. I wanted the extra bed space. I alway felt uncomfortable with the short bed. I wish I had the advanced safety group with adaptive cruise but on a recent trip it was great (I just passed more often).:) I'm actually happy with it and have no intentions of trading up.

You dodged a bullet.
My advanced safety groups has caused nothing but issues
On my 10th dealership visit in 14 months and 3rd RAMCARE Case Manager in 7 months (I am told there is no one i can escalate my issues to beyond the case manager)

I would not have bought the advanced safety package (any of the other 3 truck beside it that I was trying to decide between at the time would be fine right now)
Constant false triggers of FCW
Lane Sense guidance that switches itself off
Reverse emergency braking that activates for no reason and scares the hell out of you. leaves you on the street while trying to reverse of it all too frequently

Live and learn to each their own all ups and downs in everything
Maybe I get it right in the future .... Utopia exists right?

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You dodged a bullet.
On my 10th dealership visit in 14 months and 3rd RAMCARE Case Manager in 7 months (I am told there is no one i can escalate my issues to beyond the case manager)

I would not have bought the advanced safety package (any of the other 3 truck beside it that I was trying to decide between at the time would be fine right now)
Reverse emergency braking that activates for no reason and scares the hell out of you. leaves you on the street while trying to reverse of it all too frequently

i have the reverse emergency breaking feature on my truck, scared the hell out of me too. I was driving it home from the dealer and stopped at wawa, backed into a spot and the truck slammed on it's brakes twice. everyone was staring at me hahaha. I promptly turned that feature off lol its terrible

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
i have the reverse emergency breaking feature on my truck, scared the hell out of me too. I was driving it home from the dealer and stopped at wawa, backed into a spot and the truck slammed on it's brakes twice. everyone was staring at me hahaha. I promptly turned that feature off lol its terrible
yeah dealer 1 dealer i worked with this was their suggested 'fix'
I don't see it as a fix more a mask
with 2 young kids a very important safety function
I would never forgive myself if something happened
I realize this is only 1 layer of protection and does not replace attention and care by still a layer that has value to a purchaser (and marketed and sold as such) and one more thing that can help prevent a disaster
Don't think the guy waiting for me to get my truck out of the way the other week was too impressed with me blocking the street

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You dodged a bullet.

You might want to check into your state's lemon laws if you've had that much trouble with the truck. You still have options for escalating your issues if you go that route. Of those 10 trips to the dealership, how many are for repeat repairs?

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
You might want to check into your state's lemon laws if you've had that much trouble with the truck. You still have options for escalating your issues if you go that route. Of those 10 trips to the dealership, how many are for repeat repairs?
Hi thanks for the advice
I am new to the US (moved to TX a bit over year ago) and was super excited to get in a RAM (but that is now majorly tempered) picked it up 3 weeks after arriving.

All these trips have involved all these issues (and some others as well some fixed and some less pressing than those mentioned)

I have spoken to one group about lemon law but being new and with the engagement of RAMCARE figured they would be proactive in trying to resolve a customers issues. I suppose where my lack of understanding here is that RAMCARE are saying it is drive-able and this they wont qualify it for buyback. RAMCARE claim these a 'features' and not safety issues (although I contend that being unable to get you car out of the way or the FCW system potentially activating in traffic is indeed a safety issue).
I see this as RAMCARE playing on words and terms to avoid a situation that leads to a less desirable outcome from their perspective (I agree their job interests). I just would have thought RAMCARE would have been more active in resolving (or trying to resolve) the issues they just seem to now be a bystander as i continue to exhaust the dealership (my 2nd one and these guys have been good but they have exhausted their best techs). STARS team has been involved and no change.

Perhaps I should do more investigating on lemon law here in TX (would appreciate any specific experience forum persons have here in TX with Lemon law). I did not think in my wildest dreams that I would ever end up in this position in the first 14 months here. Can't say I am not learning anything.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would keep my 2017 Tradesman Express or get a new Classic 1500 instead. Although the 5th gen drives better, it doesn't feel as solid to me

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your problems with your truck. You seem to be one of the few unlucky enough to get a really bad one. Ramcares does what they can to help customers, but keep in mind they are looking out for their interest, and FCA in general. FCA, like most corporations, wants to project an image of caring about their customers, when in fact, their biggest concern is their bottom line. I'm not saying they don't care about their customers, it's just not their primary concern. That's not entirely a bad thing, because if they aren't making money they will cease to exist. Any admission of wrong doing on their part can cost millions in settlements. In other words, Ramcares will help you as long as it's not going to hurt the company. If they gave out advice for people to seek a sell-back through lemon laws it would hurt the company.

The only advice I can give you is to learn the lemon laws in TX, and seek legal representation if you think your truck qualifies under those laws. Ramcares is great for what it is, and they do genuinely try to help, but only up to a certain point. Beyond that you'll have to help yourself.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
...found one with the 33 gallon tank and factory LED bed lights. Only 2 options I wish I had and don’t. It’s the little things

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your problems with your truck. You seem to be one of the few unlucky enough to get a really bad one. Ramcares does what they can to help customers, but keep in mind they are looking out for their interest, and FCA in general. FCA, like most corporations, wants to project an image of caring about their customers, when in fact, their biggest concern is their bottom line. I'm not saying they don't care about their customers, it's just not their primary concern. That's not entirely a bad thing, because if they aren't making money they will cease to exist. Any admission of wrong doing on their part can cost millions in settlements. In other words, Ramcares will help you as long as it's not going to hurt the company. If they gave out advice for people to seek a sell-back through lemon laws it would hurt the company.

The only advice I can give you is to learn the lemon laws in TX, and seek legal representation if you think your truck qualifies under those laws. Ramcares is great for what it is, and they do genuinely try to help, but only up to a certain point. Beyond that you'll have to help yourself.
Hey Thanks

I agree and understand with RAMCARE priorities I get it and not surprised.
I also agree that i just seem to have one of those few bad ones WRT those particular systems (outside of those the Truck is pretty solid). Hindsight is a wonderful thing and had i have know this would have bought the rebel or the power wagon i was considering and gave up those truck features kitted to get this one that has not worked out so well to date

What really does surprise me is the lack of apparent 'ownership' and drive to resolve the issue from RAMCARE. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic in that if they have a reputation for fixing issues then loyalty increases and this retain customers. Give the volume the annoyed few who may choose to move on from the brand or suck it up again are probably insignificant.
I guess I thought they would be more invested in trying to fix the issues rather than defaulting to the dealer who is screaming out that they have no more avenues to explore to repair they are tapped out of ideas.

I don't want to hijack the thread here

I thought this one was in interesting one to see what people like/don't like. when i saw some one see to 'wish' they had something that has not worked for me i would share my experience and they can make an informed decision the next time round

Appreciate your input

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah dealer 1 dealer i worked with this was their suggested 'fix'
I don't see it as a fix more a mask
with 2 young kids a very important safety function
I would never forgive myself if something happened
I realize this is only 1 layer of protection and does not replace attention and care by still a layer that has value to a purchaser (and marketed and sold as such) and one more thing that can help prevent a disaster
Don't think the guy waiting for me to get my truck out of the way the other week was too impressed with me blocking the street
yeah man it's crazy. it literally snapped my neck back twice when it applied the brake. I haven't had the guts to turn it on to try it again, but i agree with you that it should be something that works better. They shouldn't sell it as a safety feature unless they offer neck braces with it too

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
“...change nothing.”

I ordered my truck just the way I wanted it. Other trucks might be forthcoming that catch my attention (e.g. TRX, Atlis), but nothing is on the market yet.

tdager

Reaction score
Happier every day with mine, so nothing really to change. I would like the split tailgate but they were not out when I purchased.

Gotta say I LOVE my truck!

Cardsarge

Reaction score
I would have got the console rather than the fold down cupholder/storage, and I would have skipped the tow mirrors. Other than that, I am quite happy with my truck.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
33 gal fuel tank and 360 camera are all I somewhat want. I don't have a need for either, but certain situations would find those both beneficial.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I put a good amount of thought into mine, what I wanted and what I didn't. Even the couple of options mine has (say blind spot/crosspath) that I didn't necessarily need turned out to be to my liking. I can honestly say I would do the same again.

I remember the dealer commenting on my list ... Nobody has come in asking for a specific-color Lonestar, heated cloth seats, Hemi w/o eTorque, 3.92 rear with 33 gallon tank, at the cash price you want to pay. Well, now you're looking at him ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread