5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off pavement travel/dispersed camping in Pennsylvania. Or anywhere

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Made it back to Rothrock to check out another dispersed camping site. This one is sore 3
20200217_161503.jpg 20200217_161903.jpg 20200217_161601.jpg 20200217_161659.jpg

There is an awesome stream back this path...forgot to get a picture. We were just talking too much about cooling of in it in the summer and getting here camping as soon as possible

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We got some more campsites found and another firetower.

We also got down some more driveable trails.

We have been exploring every chance we get.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The tracks of the trip. The pics don't show how steep these roads are. I know...they aren't Mountains...but they sure get you above the local valley's Screenshot_20200301-192425_US Topo Maps.jpg Screenshot_20200224-110420_US Topo Maps.jpg Screenshot_20200229-191521_US Topo Maps.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My son giggled and laughed every time a branch smacked the windshield and screeched down the side.

We are going to do a bit more hiking next time. But, it sure is nice to take the truck to get a little deeper into the Forest before we even start the hike. Get to see alot more things and with a 6 year old a lot shorter carry back to the truck when his legs just won't go anymore lol.

I can not wait to get out to one of the campsites and spend a good solid 4 days exploring.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
.facebook_1584979169360.jpg

Will not be doing any of this for awhile. We had a trip planned this weekend. And our usual camping season starts 10April but guess that isn't happening either.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cape Cod National Seashore has shut down it's facilities and delayed new season passes 5 days from the 10th to the 15th. Other beaches up here are following suit... Duxbury and Sandy Neck. I guess they're making decisions based on visitor density and personal contact/interaction.

Those of you out west with access to BLM land be super thankful as those places will likely remain open.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Cape Cod National Seashore has shut down it's facilities and delayed new season passes 5 days from the 10th to the 15th. Other beaches up here are following suit... Duxbury and Sandy Neck. I guess they're making decisions based on visitor density and personal contact/interaction.

Those of you out west with access to BLM land be super thankful as those places will likely remain open.

Facilities are shut down, but access and dispersed camping should still be viable, no? I never use their facilities.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Facilities are shut down, but access and dispersed camping should still be viable, no? I never use their facilities.
I think it's more about what happens if you breakdown... someone gets hurt... etc. There's a perception... real or overstated... that it would put an undue strain on "the system". To an extent, I can see the logic to closing the permitting and facilities. There's literally nothing else to do, so they could get a flood of people... still off season so fewer employees to handle it all... congregating around to get permits, vehicles inspected, using the restrooms. All the things you should be avoiding.

Stripers will be running soon, and if the beaches are still closed, there will be a lot of antidisestablishmentarianism going on.

Users who are viewing this thread