5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spooked a little by so many complaints here!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great color choice OldMarine! Both your vehicles look fantastic, even if one of them isn't a Mopar. :ROFLMAO:

TX_Phil

Reaction score
Glad to hear some good reports, for once. I don’t have as many miles, but no problems yet with a 20 Laramie Crew (knock on wood). Quite happy with Lil’ Red...

BTW, is your dash digital speed display slightly brown in the middle? If so, its meant to be that way...
I've seen a few on Youtube that are colored the same way so thought it was normal then I saw some that were pure white. As best as I can remember it was this color when I bought it. If this attachment works it's from a picture I took with only 900ish miles. The part below the red dashed line is what appears to be discolored. Even if it is "wrong" I don't think it's worth tearing into the dash to fix. Who know what kind of rattles I might end up with after the dealer plays with it !

2019_Ram_MPH.jpg

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I've seen a few on Youtube that are colored the same way so thought it was normal then I saw some that were pure white. As best as I can remember it was this color when I bought it. If this attachment works it's from a picture I took with only 900ish miles. The part below the red dashed line is what appears to be discolored. Even if it is "wrong" I don't think it's worth tearing into the dash to fix. Who know what kind of rattles I might end up with after the dealer plays with it !

View attachment 48761
Mine is completely white so there is something off there. But I'm the same as you in that I wouldn't have the dash opened up to try and fix it.

WW2

Reaction score
I believe it's just the font. Mine is like the above pic. When you change the big screen and the speed number gets smaller and moves to the top, it is the same way. This tells me it has nothing to do with the actual physical screen and has to be written in the software for it to be "2 tone". All of the trucks I test drove were this way......Maybe they are after a "3D' look..Either way, its a small thing..

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine looks just like the picture TX_Phil posted. Could be a difference btwn 2019 and 2020 models, but since he doesn't have his truck details in his sig that's pure speculation on my part.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I believe it's just the font. Mine is like the above pic. When you change the big screen and the speed number gets smaller and moves to the top, it is the same way. This tells me it has nothing to do with the actual physical screen and has to be written in the software for it to be "2 tone". All of the trucks I test drove were this way......Maybe they are after a "3D' look..Either way, its a small thing..
Very interesting. Who would've thought they'd use a gradient-style font for this. And why would they do it on some but not all? Oh well, doesn't matter. Like you said, it's a small thing.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the forum. You will definitely see some issues some are having. Hopefully this forum helps some of them with some of their issues. There will always be lemons or certain issues that plague any brand. I’ve been lucky. A little over a year and just a couple of small glitches that were fixed. Very happy. Hope you will be too! Go get this extra rebate below before your 60 days after purchase expires.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
Hi all, new guy Joe here...love this forum so far. Bought a 2019 Limited about 2 weeks ago. Absolutely in love with this truck, and flawless so far. Been wondering though, as I scroll through page after page, it kind of hit me that almost every other post is some kind of problem with a 5th gen. Motors dead, water leaks, Uconnects going crazy, noises etc...I was wondering, is anyone else concerned? Am I just a little paranoid? I'm 61, been through a lot of vehicles, and I know that compared to how many FCA has sold, the amount of complaints is a small percentage, but still, a lot of complaints here! Hope i don't have to be the next one...lol

Hey Joe. I’m not concerned at all. My truck has been flawless as well and I enjoy driving that baby each and every time.

Semper Fidelis,
Pedro

MoparGuy

Reaction score
Loving my Rebel, even though I have a little bit of the front end tie rod clunk.
But it is the good people on this forum that educated me about the issue and how to correct it. I'll get around to it.
Go enjoy your truck.
I’m 6 months into my 2019 North Edition and loving it with 0 complaints. I love the interior, the ride, performance, overall looks and the 10 speaker Alpine system sounds great for stock. I get nothing but compliments on it and anyone who has rode in it is impressed. Even some diehard F-150 owners are seriously thinking about trading up to a 5th Gen. after riding in mine. I don’t drive a lot so miles are low. Will I have an issue at some point, probably, but I will get it corrected, move on and not think twice about it... There’s a reason the new Ram surpassed the Silverado for the first time ever in sales!

TX_Phil

Reaction score
Mine looks just like the picture TX_Phil posted. Could be a difference btwn 2019 and 2020 models, but since he doesn't have his truck details in his sig that's pure speculation on my part.
Sorry for the lack of details. Never considered creating a signature line. Guess I should

My truck is a 2019, 1500 crewcab 4x4 Lonestar Level 2 trim, 8.4 screen, non-nav LED lighting, 3.92 gears, 33 gal tank. Oh and black with the pano sun roof. Not sure of the build date but purchased end of September 2019 with 5 miles on it.

When I switch to another display, radio for example, the left side is very dim. Don't have a pic right now but will try to get one.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Yeah, forums are not representative of the overall buying public. It's generally where people go to obsess about every little detail, complain about things (many are legitimate to be sure), commiserate, get ideas, customize, detail, accessorize, modify, and generally share their enthusiasm. I'd bet more than 95% of people who buy a new vehicle never visit a message board.

So to answer your question OP, no...statistically speaking you are probably quite safe.

^^^^^^

I was just talking to my service writer about this the other day (dead battery/air suspension compressor run-on issue).

You don't see the 1,000's of folks with no issues come onto internet forums to chime in on how trouble free their trucks are. Otherwise, we'd likely see nothing else. Likewise - folks don't call their dealers just to say HI to their service writer and tell them they're not having issues with their truck (though I do stop in when I'm in the neighborhood, just to shoot the breeze - and my relationship with my writer usually gets my truck to the head of the line on the rare occasions it has to go in).

The best part of the forums (from an issues standpoint) is that they give a great idea of common problems/solutions (yeah - sunroof rear bulkhead grommets for wet rear floor, or suspension pump run-on after truck goes to sleep leaving dead battery) - and detailed descriptions of mods.

I usually hit the forums before I even make my purchase.

That being said - I LOVE my truck. Probably the nicest vehicle I've owned yet. BMW 2002/3/5/7 series, 2 Dr Tahoe (miss that one), 2500 Suburban (the last year you could get one), corvettes, 2nd & 3rd gen Honda Pilots.

I could have bought anything I wanted - I DROVE EVERY PICKUP AND SUV FROM EVERY MANUFACTURER. HANDS DOWN - 5th Gen Ram beat them all, both in options and VALUE. Which is why I own one.

I had a "Classic" for a loaner for 1/2 a day- SO GLAD I WAITED for the 5th gen...

That being said - these vehicles have thousands of parts, put together by HUMANS - so there's bound to be the occasional screw-up on the line. As long as FCA is willing to make it right - all good...

Rick

(in all honesty, if Honda brought the Element back, I would buy one as a second vehicle - LOVED MINE).

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the forum. You will definitely see some issues some are having. Hopefully this forum helps some of them with some of their issues. There will always be lemons or certain issues that plague any brand. I’ve been lucky. A little over a year and just a couple of small glitches that were fixed. Very happy. Hope you will be too! Go get this extra rebate below before your 60 days after purchase expires.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf
thanks, but I bought used,(19,000 miles). No rebate for me! lol

QuandAns42

Reaction score
I hear people having these reactions all the time in so many internet areas- whether its a product review on Amazon, a Yelp review, etc. Most people don't go have a nice dinner and then feel compelled to write all about it. When you've got a problem, you've got to share it. Thankfully forums like these do support communities and positive experiences more than those other review-based environments!

Royal

Reaction score
Hi all, new guy Joe here...love this forum so far. Bought a 2019 Limited about 2 weeks ago. Absolutely in love with this truck, and flawless so far. Been wondering though, as I scroll through page after page, it kind of hit me that almost every other post is some kind of problem with a 5th gen. Motors dead, water leaks, Uconnects going crazy, noises etc...I was wondering, is anyone else concerned? Am I just a little paranoid? I'm 61, been through a lot of vehicles, and I know that compared to how many FCA has sold, the amount of complaints is a small percentage, but still, a lot of complaints here! Hope i don't have to be the next one...lol
Hi Joe,

Most 1st year vehicles will have a slightly higher incidence rate but that will tail off. There will always be a few recalls at the start. However, as you mentioned, the sheer number of these being produced (#2 right now behind the F150 if I’m not mistaken) combined with the fact you tend to hear more of the bad issues anywhere let alone on forums, means you shouldn’t worry too much.

Much like the Beer virus going around, when you look at the actual stats/figures, there isn’t much to worry about for most folk.

Enjoy your truck!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is my 6th FCA vehicle and I absolutely love the truck! I have had some minor issues with the New tech (Screen rebooting out of nowhere, Air Suspension giving me messages that are in error, TPMS not giving a pressure reading...) I also have or have had the squealing brakes, brake groan, center console cover squeak, the infamous back window molding crack, and my steering wheel lost some of the leather sheen which all have been covered under warranty. I think this is a fantastic truck but with so many features and technology it has some bugs and growing pains.
With all that said.....
This morning was the first time that my truck has let me down. The battery was dead but it also wouldn't start with a jump and when I tried it gave me all kinds of console warning messages... It was towed to the dealership and they covered the tow and will replace the battery and go from there to see what else it may be if anything.

Bottom line is I still love the truck and I am not regretting my decision to purchase with all of the above that has happened. Barring some major repair that I am going to have to pay for after warranty expires in a couple months due to hitting 36K miles, it is still a joy to drive and own.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw my service writer at the local CVS a couple of days ago, and I asked him if he's seen some of the issues discussed in the forum. He said early on, right after the 5th gens were being sold, there were the moaning brake, wind noise, third brake light water leaks, poor panel fit issues, but he said other than recalls they haven't had a 2019-2020 come back for anything in quite a while. Some issues, like poor AC performance and cracked rear window frames they haven't seen at all.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031211 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread