5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the best bed step functionality option?

smashweights

Reaction score
You won't regret it. Just ensure you have a ratcheting torque wrench and a shallow socket (i believe 15/16"). The only difficulty with the install is the space between the exhaust and the step is tight and you can only get about 1/4 turn or less. I tried to do it with a beam style torque wrench, which was nearly too wide to fit, and it took ages until my neighbor popped over to see what I was doing, offered me his cheap harbor freight ratcheting torque wrench and it was waaaay easier.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys!
Lots of replies, but one recommendation lol. I will go with Mopar step then!
Where can I get the best deal? BamWholesaleParts seems to be back ordered.

Local dealer might be the way to go with the 15% off coupon. Also compare to MoparAmerica they used to have good deals on them and always had them in stock.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put in the bed step as well. If you want to have an assist with the tailgate down i think it is the best option. There is a 20% off any accessory coupon on the Ram website as well
Where might this 20% coupon be found?

Kooch80

Reaction score
Reactions: cj7

Sv250

Reaction score
Keep checking ebay. I got mine for $280

Bubba33

Reaction score
You won't regret it. Just ensure you have a ratcheting torque wrench and a shallow socket (i believe 15/16"). The only difficulty with the install is the space between the exhaust and the step is tight and you can only get about 1/4 turn or less. I tried to do it with a beam style torque wrench, which was nearly too wide to fit, and it took ages until my neighbor popped over to see what I was doing, offered me his cheap harbor freight ratcheting torque wrench and it was waaaay easier.
I believe I used big have half in adjustable handle to tighten it with a extension. Didn't use a torque wrench. Just got it real tight.

smashweights

Reaction score
I believe I used big have half in adjustable handle to tighten it with a extension. Didn't use a torque wrench. Just got it real tight.
I'd probably check it with a torque wrench at least. Install recs 120ft-lbs and two of the bolts hold the trailer hitch.

Kelan

Reaction score
Found it for 21% off = $263.55 + free shipping with code "FREESHIP" ...I'm about to order one myself.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone with aftermarket 5 inch exhaust tips, remove the driver side exhaust tip before attempting this installation. I wasn't able to install my step with the B2 Fabrication exhaust tip in place. Might have been able to force it, but I didn't want to scratch the tip up. I'd probably remove the stock one if I was installing this step again. It's easy enough to remove, and gives you a lot more room to work.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Found it for 21% off = $263.55 + free shipping with code "FREESHIP" ...I'm amount to order one myself.

Thanks for the tip. Price and coupon was still valid, so ordered one for myself.

Nibis

Reaction score
I got mine installed yesterday, besides slipping off the lower nut and busting, and cutting my knuckle on the spare tire shield, it a pretty easy install, and, I love it !

curh

Reaction score
Anyone know why this part shows discontinued most places?

Users who are viewing this thread