5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No ambient lights? No problem, 2 doors down 2 to go

Lablvr2

Reaction score
Passenger door completed along with 2 ambient LED's in the passenger footwell. Back doors are next then make a bracket for ambient footwell lighting on the driver's side. View attachment 8394 View attachment 8395

Looks really good.. just curious how you got your door panels off without any issue or breaking them? My limited has ambient lighting but I took my truck in to have a window seal replaced and they broke my panel and had to replace it. Said the panels are on so tight their tools broke trying to pop the clips on the back side.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I didn't break anything 'cos I used a panel popper tool on top of removing all of the screws. I've taken apart so many door panels I got a good idea on where to yank on them and where/when to use the popper tool.

glenB

Reaction score
Instead of running wires thru the door jam couldn't you just take light power off of the door switches themselves?

jamesfg

Reaction score
There were some wires putting out power but not 12volts. I have no idea what that power wire ties back into. The last thing I want to happen is get a short in the lights and bbq'g the display or something else. Soooooo keeping that thought in mind and being overly cautious I fused my power wire off the back of the switch with a 5amp fuse which goes to a distribution block.

Iraira

Reaction score
This is very helpful information as I soon will be tackling this project as well. Thank you for the pictures and post

7amada

Reaction score
This is exactly what I am trying to do. Also adding the led strip on the glove box section.

A write up for this forum would be beyond awesome

barr0208

Reaction score
I still can't believe that they removed the ambient lighting in the Rebel trim - it's completely ridiculous. Having known this, I would have purchased our Canadian sport model ( or Laramie sport trim). Although I really don't like 20" + rims.
I have a sport and level 2 no ambient lighting

gotmeahemi

Reaction score
I have a 19 bighorn...

I want to start this project. I looked and I don’t have the hole in the second compartment on the doors but I have the handle spot and in the lowest compartment on the doors.

I found all the parts I need (I think) but I’m nervous about the wiring and connection to the control wheel behind the dash.

The op gave me a good start though. I’m researching the rest but I think this will be an awesome upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Anyone else do this mod? I'm missing the ambient lighting from my BMW, so I'd like to look at doing something like this with some red lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/