5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulletproof finally released lifts for 5th gens

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol yea I love big trucks but 8-9 is the sweet spot on most half tons IMO. Can’t say I’m a fan but it is cool to see something besides 6” kits.

tdager

Reaction score
The thing is that the lift itself is OK, if you have a need for such a high lift. However the reason for such a lift is to get SERIOUSLY off-road/over obstacles, so why do I always see them with these assinine massive rims? They need to be on smaller rims with MORE rubber. Sheesh.

R

Rob5589

Beyond being ridiculous; if you are going that far, build an entirely new front end with a 1 ton, heavy duty steering, and proper gearing. Same with the rear.

cra1g

Reaction score
Does it come with a flatbrim and a case of Axe body spray, or do they just assume you already have those?

ironking

Reaction score
Wow....the definition of hideous and non-functional...

Attachments

• Hideous1.jpg
    Hideous1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Hideous2.jpg
    Hideous2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 43

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The thing is that the lift itself is OK, if you have a need for such a high lift. However the reason for such a lift is to get SERIOUSLY off-road/over obstacles, so why do I always see them with these assinine massive rims? They need to be on smaller rims with MORE rubber. Sheesh.

The purpose is to look cool, NOT to off-road. Thus the rims. It’s a show truck.

I mean I have the same exact thing on a smaller scale. Big, wide wheels on a ‘low’ profile mud tire that’s worthless for any kind of off-roading. Ask me how many times my truck is going off road in any sort of serious capacity.... zero.

As mentioned by me and another, you really need a 2500/3500 for this size truck. One, it looks better because the trucks are physically bigger (6ft bed, taller grille/bumper, etc) so the larger framed truck looks better at such a taller ride height. Two, the drivetrain is more equipped to handle the stress. Running a 150lb 14 wide wheel setup on a half ton truck is super sketch. It’s really not even a good idea on a HD truck if you drive it a lot.

Tommy R

Reaction score

I would actually disagree with this. Unless you're just into deep mud kinda stuff, the trend for at least the last 10 years or so in the crawling world is to focus on a low center of gravity, along with the largest tires you can fit (within reason). Tall rigs are falling more and more out of favor. My Jeep on 37s has about 3.5" of total lift. I'm rebuilding it now with tons and 40s, but I'm targeting to keep the body height unchanged. Unless you're doing only mud, tall lifts are basically a way of advertising that you don't do any wheeling.

And as was mentioned earlier, the "giant wheels & tiny tires" thing is purely for a certain style. And why they're mud terrains is absolutely beyond me, but there's no accounting for taste. It's a style I definitely don't "get". But hey, different strokes for different folks, eh?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason is because they have the aggressive sidewall and look that makes the truck look more aggressive. Until very recently, all terrains just looked so passive on a show truck. Smooth sidewalls and tread patterns that just look wimpy especially on a big wheel

If you are doing the truck for looks, you don’t want a passive wimpy tire. Same reason you run a sporty tire on a car or lowered truck, because an all season tire just looks so pathetic.

Fastforward to now, hybrids and all that are bridging that gap. And they are even sort of trying to make street ish tires for this sort of application. I wanted to try ridge grapplers myself, but the price was stupid so I’m on mud tires.

I think there’s a HUGE disconnect Where people assume that lifted trucks are for off-roading and the Owners are interested in off-roading. And vice versa, that a dude like you with a crawling rig is a “lifted” truck/jeep guy and likes lifted trucks in general.

Tommy R

Reaction score
The reason is because they have the aggressive sidewall and look that makes the truck look more aggressive. Until very recently, all terrains just looked so passive on a show truck. Smooth sidewalls and tread patterns that just look wimpy especially on a big wheel

If you are doing the truck for looks, you don’t want a passive wimpy tire. Same reason you run a sporty tire on a car or lowered truck, because an all season tire just looks so pathetic.

Fastforward to now, hybrids and all that are bridging that gap. And they are even sort of trying to make street ish tires for this sort of application. I wanted to try ridge grapplers myself, but the price was stupid so I’m on mud tires.

I think there’s a HUGE disconnect Where people assume that lifted trucks are for off-roading and the Owners are interested in off-roading. And vice versa, that a dude like you with a crawling rig is a “lifted” truck/jeep guy and likes lifted trucks in general.

I agree there's definitely a disconnect as you said. I often times have friends who aren't gearheads point to big lifted trucks and say, "they don't really use that offroad, do they?" Sure, a car guy will know it's not for actual offroading as it's pretty obvious to us, but it seems most of the "normal folks" get somewhat confused by them. Personally, I've never had a goal of an aggressive appearance when I modify a vehicle. I guess many do, which is why those angry bird grills and "grumpers" exist. LOL I've always been more about function than form. Not to say I don't like my stuff looking good, but aesthetic mods are usually secondary. In fact, I actually take my Rebel offroad, but only have as aggressive a tire as I need for the terrain I encounter....and it's a milder tire than most of the mall crawlers around town, which cracks me up. I had Ridge Grapplers on my diesel and they were great. I didn't like the sidewall, though....too busy looking. But they're a great tire and I may eventually get them again for my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread