5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Mud Flaps - Think Again

Doc33

Reaction score
Just curious, what style of tire and on what kind of roads are you driving. I have the Mopar flaps with about 11000 miles on them. I have checked them a few times to see if they are collecting stuff as others have noted. So far, nothing. However, I have the OEM Goodyear, non-aggressive tread tires and have not driven on any dirt or gravel roads. For my purposes, they are acceptable. The slots in the bottom are plenty large to allow hosing out. I agree with others, in that for me, I like the appearance better than the Weathertech or other brands, but I also agree that they are not for everyone. I am surprised that you are so angry about the ones you have, since they were probably an aftermarket purchase. Weren't you aware of the limitations when you bought them?
Wasn't aware that a mopar product such as this simple add on should come with limitations. They do look good but there performance regarding dirt and mud collection is below par in my opinion. Others will agree as stated earlier.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Anyone just try and foam inject the slot and cover with black caulk? Just a thought, haven’t seen them up close myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Jefferym70 ...just follow the instructions. SUPER SIMPLE. If it's not cold where you live, use the paint protection film that comes with each set too. The WT mud guards, from all that I have seen posted, are truly the best looking, best made and best fitting on the market and the price is reasonable. Enjoy!

shodeadman

Reaction score
@Jefferym70 ...just follow the instructions. SUPER SIMPLE. If it's not cold where you live, use the paint protection film that comes with each set too. The WT mud guards, from all that I have seen posted, are truly the best looking, best made and best fitting on the market and the price is reasonable. Enjoy!

Just installed mine. Simple Install. Did have a slight issue with the front driver side flap as the fender well plastic didn't want to align properly for the screw to go back in. The Weather Tech Mudflaps are well worth the purchase. I will say my weather tech mudflaps did not come with the paint protection film with them.

RJS

Reaction score
Just to complete the circle - I now have the OEM Mopar splash guards on my 19 Laramie.

Why - My Ram lost a battle with a Menards heavy shopping car in 50 mph gusts a couple weeks back. The cart hit dead center between the rear wheel and bumper assembly leaving $1500 in damage. AAA paid for the repair and Thelen Chrysler Ram in Bay City, Mi did an excellent job repairing the damage. When I picked the truck up I noticed Thelen had replaced the rear splash guards with the hollow Ram ones like the ones I discarded to initiate this post.

Crap, I thought until I looked in the hollow area and found it filled with a tight fitting foam plug to keep out the detritus that filled my previous ones.

I've always like the style of those guards as they look custom and part of the truck so I ordered the front ones from the dealer and installed them using 14 mil 3M PPF film to protect the paint on the flares.

So far, so good.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to complete the circle - I now have the OEM Mopar splash guards on my 19 Laramie.

Why - My Ram lost a battle with a Menards heavy shopping car in 50 mph gusts a couple weeks back. The cart hit dead center between the rear wheel and bumper assembly leaving $1500 in damage. AAA paid for the repair and Thelen Chrysler Ram in Bay City, Mi did an excellent job repairing the damage. When I picked the truck up I noticed Thelen had replaced the rear splash guards with the hollow Ram ones like the ones I discarded to initiate this post.

Crap, I thought until I looked in the hollow area and found it filled with a tight fitting foam plug to keep out the detritus that filled my previous ones.

I've always like the style of those guards as they look custom and part of the truck so I ordered the front ones from the dealer and installed them using 14 mil 3M PPF film to protect the paint on the flares.

So far, so good.
Did they put PPF between the paint and the mud flaps? When I removed mine a while back they had scratched an outline of the mud flaps into the clear coat.

RJS

Reaction score
Did they put PPF between the paint and the mud flaps? When I removed mine a while back they had scratched an outline of the mud flaps into the clear coat.
The body shop did not, probably because it is not supplied with the OEM flaps. I did use it on the front ones I installed but ran out of film so when the film I ordered shows up in a day or two, I'll remove the rear ones - apply film and foam tape - and reinstall.

speedracernc

Reaction score

So far, so good.
Why did AAA pay for the repair?

RJS

Reaction score
Why did AAA pay for the repair?
The damage was pointed out by another driver when I was leaving the parking lot. No evidence of shopping cart near the truck. Talked to my AAA agent and he said the best solution was to submit a claim being sure I told the claims agent I wasn't in the truck when it was hit ( totally true ) and it would go under wind damage as a comprehensive claim. All I had to go on was another drivers input for the story. Who knows the total story but the truck is repaired.
I probably could have gone back to Menard's, raised holy hell, demanded to see the camera footage, and threatened to sue because they would have disclaimed (possibly) that it was their fault as they remove the empty carts routinely and have cart storage areas all over the parking lots.
I was not ready to go on for a while driving a damaged truck when with this alternative it was out of the body shop and back on the road exactly one week from the day of the damage.
AAA also provided a Silverado rental truck during the repair. 2020 LT with 45,000 miles on it. Not a bad truck but darn glad to be back in the better riding Ram after the repair.

Last edited:

speedracernc

Reaction score
The damage was pointed out by another driver when I was leaving the parking lot. No evidence of shopping cart near the truck. Talked to my AAA agent and he said the best solution was to submit a claim being sure I told the claims agent I wasn't in the truck when it was hit ( totally true ) and it would go under wind damage as a comprehensive claim. All I had to go on was another drivers input for the story. Who knows the total story but the truck is repaired.
I probably could have gone back to Menard's, raised holy hell, demanded to see the camera footage, and threatened to sue because they would have disclaimed (possibly) that it was their fault as they remove the empty carts routinely and have cart storage areas all over the parking lots.
I was not ready to go on for a while driving a damaged truck when with this alternative it was out of the body shop and back on the road exactly one week from the day of the damage.
AAA also provided a Silverado rental truck during the repair. 2020 LT with 45,000 miles on it. Not a bad truck but darn glad to be back in the better riding Ram after the repair.
Got I wasn't sure if you meant AAA auto club paid for it. You use AAA as your primary insurance company and they covered it. That makes sense. Glad you got it repaired and are back in your truck. The Ram is a much better truck when it comes to ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread