5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took an angle grinder to my bumper

renzo2213

Reaction score
That looks awesome! Definitely don’t have the ️‘s to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatWhite

Reaction score
What in the hank hill happened here!? Hahaha, can't say I would have done that. But hey! You actually take your truck offroad, and as long as your happy with it, who cares!!

Theres definitely not many offroad bumper options available yet for our trucks. Happy wheeling !

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
That’s pretty cool. What was the process like actually doing it?

Pretty self-explanatory. The only thing that's not so obvious is that you'll want to relocate some of the wiring harness for the parking sensors. I just zip-tied them higher up. Oh and you'll have to remove the air dam and lower active aero, but I already removed that awhile back. Most people should just start with the removal of the air dam(s).

Air dam takes up a lot of space.
img_3139-jpg.35066

No Dam.
9abcf7b2-8691-4568-ac99-cfe5025546f6-jpeg.37288

Next will be to have new tow loops made that fit a little closer to the bumper and also to figure out what I can do about the rear bumper. I'll post any updates to the off-road section. lol
8d9d5d78-3f2d-48dc-9f8c-87c641f70236-jpeg.42758

Last edited:

tobyw

Reaction score
I think that turned out great, way to work with what you've got!!

For the front recovery points, I wonder if you could bend up some tube to follow the horizontal contour of the lower/exposed portion of the bumper, and just have a single eyelet mounted in the center? That would give you a little more substantial lower protection and you could keep it tucked up almost even with the bottom of what you have now, with that eyelet just poking out below the fairlead? Can't wait to see what you come up with (y)

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I think that turned out great, way to work with what you've got!!

For the front recovery points, I wonder if you could bend up some tube to follow the horizontal contour of the lower/exposed portion of the bumper, and just have a single eyelet mounted in the center? That would give you a little more substantial lower protection and you could keep it tucked up almost even with the bottom of what you have now, with that eyelet just poking out below the fairlead? Can't wait to see what you come up with (y)

Actually it should be pretty easy to fab up some tube that follows the horizontal contour and also mounts to where the current recovery points bolt to the frame and, as you said, have a single eyelet mounted to the tube! This will provide a frame for a front skid plate too. Awesome, thanks for helping me think it through haha.

I think the horizontal tube would probably only go across the center portion of the bumper between the current recovery points. Unless I can find more mounting points for the tube on the far edges. I'll have to get it in front of a fabricator.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jeez, I just asked a question. Cause it looks like $hit, kind of like you hacked up a brand new truck with an angle grinder, that’s all.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in this case, the owner. Do what you do, and enjoy the ride. I personally like a cleaner more subdued look than the wild off road over the top look. But that's my opinion. Opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them, so buyer beware.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Very creative. Looks professional to me.

** Where did you get your winch? Was the plate on the front a custom fabrication?

R

Rob5589

Very creative. Looks professional to me.

** Where did you get your winch? Was the plate on the front a custom fabrication?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Being a new guy here - my first impressions were how cordial, helpful, mature and (generally) respectful members are...

People get passionate about their opinions though - and things happen... I actually think his comment was kinda sophisticated slam. I've seen far worse on other forums.
Exactly my point. There are tons of nasty forums out there, 5thgenrams is about the only truck forum that is mature, civil, helpful, supportive. We don't ever want to let 5thgenrams devolve into the same thing as all of the other sh!t sites on the internet.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Xmas project was to add some more clearance to the front of the truck. I’ve already scraped it a few times.

I didn’t like any of the aftermarket bumpers available for the truck. I also didn’t like the added weight they bring since I’ve already added like 500 pounds to the truck and it’s starting to sag. I have the ORP springs in the garage waiting to be added to my updated Mopar lift to help compensate for the extra weight.

I plasti dipped the bumper since I had 3 cans in the garage already. But I will do a black vinyl wrap on it later. I will probably relocate the rear parking sensors and cut that bumper too along with relocating the exhaust tips.

I haven’t cleaned off all the plasti dip yet since it still has to cure for a few more hours.

View attachment 42757
View attachment 42758
View attachment 42759
Dude, that looks killer. Great job and so cool you did that yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread