5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Have Discovered A Major Issue With Our Long-Term Laramie Sport:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prob a case of "ooops, had a fob in the truck and forgot it was there"
If that were the case, I would expect that to be noted in the article linked here and the associated YouTube video.

It is possible to have a fob in the truck behave the way it did with the OP. If the truck is locked, it will ignore a fob in the truck. Let's say I lock my wife's purse in the truck and she has the 2nd key in her purse. You can't just walk up to the truck and unlock it because there's a fob in the truck. If the door is unlocked, then the fob in the truck would work to start and drive the vehicle.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If that were the case, I would expect that to be noted in the article linked here and the associated YouTube video.

It is possible to have a fob in the truck behave the way it did with the OP. If the truck is locked, it will ignore a fob in the truck. Let's say I lock my wife's purse in the truck and she has the 2nd key in her purse. You can't just walk up to the truck and unlock it because there's a fob in the truck. If the door is unlocked, then the fob in the truck would work to start and drive the vehicle.
Not sure I understand any of this....but I would think the OP would at least update his post to let us know what is going on. He made a pretty big splash, with the issue and a lot of people responded, so there is definitely a lot of interest.

GunnyZXR

Reaction score
No problems like this with my 2019 Laramie..... Tried several different time, over a few days....

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Our Toyota sedan (2005 model year) will not allow the vehicle to be locked when there is a key fob inside. It refuses to lock and it emits a warning tone. Given the large amount of computer power and sensors packed into these new DT Rams, I'd think that if there was a fob inside the truck that (a) it would refuse to lock the vehicle, and (b) it would show on the instrument cluster or Uconnect screen that there was a fob inside the vehicle. If Toyota had that figured out 15 years ago, I can't imagine why Ram wouldn't also do this, it makes the most sense.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure I understand any of this....but I would think the OP would at least update his post to let us know what is going on. He made a pretty big splash, with the issue and a lot of people responded, so there is definitely a lot of interest.
I agree, it seems like a "Chicken Little the sky is falling" moment for the OP, seems like they should have done more homework before posting.
OP stated that the second fob was not in the vehicle, it was in the house or wherever, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a freak occurrence of a third fob inadvertently left somewhere in the vehicle by the factory, or the dealer. I assume it is possible that at some point in the OP's truck's early life that an assembly line worker or a dealership lot employee lost track one of the original fobs or left it inside somewhere and then couldn't find it, and before shipping the truck or putting it out on the lot they made a duplicate fob, so then there were three. Not likely, but certainly possible. Also possible that the sensors inside the truck that can sense the presence of the fob are haywire and giving a bad signal to the truck's control computer.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our Toyota sedan (2005 model year) will not allow the vehicle to be locked when there is a key fob inside. It refuses to lock and it emits a warning tone. Given the large amount of computer power and sensors packed into these new DT Rams, I'd think that if there was a fob inside the truck that (a) it would refuse to lock the vehicle, and (b) it would show on the instrument cluster or Uconnect screen that there was a fob inside the vehicle. If Toyota had that figured out 15 years ago, I can't imagine why Ram wouldn't also do
Our Toyota sedan (2005 model year) will not allow the vehicle to be locked when there is a key fob inside. It refuses to lock and it emits a warning tone. Given the large amount of computer power and sensors packed into these new DT Rams, I'd think that if there was a fob inside the truck that (a) it would refuse to lock the vehicle, and (b) it would show on the instrument cluster or Uconnect screen that there was a fob inside the vehicle. If Toyota had that figured out 15 years ago, I can't imagine why Ram wouldn't also do this, it makes the most sense.
Nope, you can’t lock this truck with
What I have found about leaving keys in my truck. Just tested. If you leave a set of keys in truck and try to lock truck by pushing electric lock button on arm rest, lights will flash, horn will blow and doors will unlock. If you leave keys in truck and try to lock with outside button on drivers door, it will not lock, no light or horn. If you leave keys in truck and use manual door lock inside door next to window, you have to manually lock all four doors in this way to completely secure truck. If you leave a spare set of keys in truck and lock with other set of keys, the truck will lock. Conclusion, not 100% fool proof, but pretty much.

ramhead

Reaction score
To everyone asking about the spare keyfob (my thought/question too) he did reply upthread a bit (post #25) that the spare fob was inside his house....so, seems to rule out that chance. He hasn't replied since that second post..hopefully he'll come back with a final outcome.

cra1g

Reaction score
To everyone asking about the spare keyfob (my thought/question too) he did reply upthread a bit (post #25) that the spare fob was inside his house....so, seems to rule out that chance. He hasn't replied since that second post..hopefully he'll come back with a final outcome.

*A* spare fob is in the house, but there could be another one paired to the truck and hiding under the seat or something. I would imagine the dealer's scan tool can tell them which fobs are in range, so they can either track down the culprit, or (more likely) just lock it out.

ramhead

Reaction score
*A* spare fob is in the house, but there could be another one paired to the truck and hiding under the seat or something. I would imagine the dealer's scan tool can tell them which fobs are in range, so they can either track down the culprit, or (more likely) just lock it out.

Possibly...but he implied there are only 2 (which is all that is supplied by dealer when purchasing) so unless he went through the expense to obtain a 3rd or there is somehow a rogue keyfob secreted & matching his truck that he doesn't know about, it seems improbable.

Edit to add: If you click on the titled link (not the vid) he has a full blown written description of what happened, saying that he did a full inspection of the interior, under seats, pulled out mats, etc to no avail whereupon he drove back to his office and found his keyfob on his work desk (with the 2nd keyfob home at his house).

Last edited:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE...

So yesterday, I pulled the negative terminal, the ground and the connector off of the battery and let the truck sit for four and a half hours. I had both keys inside the house and when I went back outside I put the negative terminal back on the battery, walked back into the house and unlocked the truck. Left both keyfobs inside and walked out to the truck and got in and presto, the TFT screen lit up with "Key Fob Not Detected". The truck hasn't had the issue since.

So I have been talking with Ram and relaying information to engineering about this issue. Now, upon my recent oil change, my dealer informed me that it had a software recall for the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC). Now, I pulled the instructions from FCA to the dealer about the procedures of the recall (V61) and am curious if the service tech didn't pull the terminal like I did, as it is promptly written in the recall procedures to allow for a hard software reboot. There is so much involved with the electronics on these vehicles now of days. Nothing against my dealer, whom I love and have been wonderful to me, but stuff happens.

I gave Ram my VIN number and the dealer information for them to look further into it. I do have to take the truck back into the dealer soon, as I am having an issue with my 12-inch Uconnect system making my side of phone calls I am on go mute, like I hung up on the person I am on the phone with. So I am also going to have them check back and see about the issue as well. So, stay tuned, hopefully, that is all it was... but it is scary anyone could jump into your truck and take off with it if it was unlocked.

As for those who thought the spare keyfob was inside the cabin of the truck, I can assure you it wasn't. It was in the house in my bedroom.

I also want to say I am very impressed by how Ram dealt with my situation. Our 5thGenRams press representative reached out to me because engineering was concerned. As well as @RamCares who sent me a message providing help as soon as I posted the issue.

It is amazing how well Ram has stepped up their game in customer service in recent years and its good to know they are frequently reviewing our post for issues on 5thGenRams.com and HDRams.com.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE...

So yesterday, I pulled the negative terminal, the ground and the connector off of the battery and let the truck sit for four and a half hours. I had both keys inside the house and when I went back outside I put the negative terminal back on the battery, walked back into the house and unlocked the truck. Left both keyfobs inside and walked out to the truck and got in and presto, the TFT screen lit up with "Key Fob Not Detected". The truck hasn't had the issue since.

So I have been talking with Ram and relaying information to engineering about this issue. Now, upon my recent oil change, my dealer informed me that it had a software recall for the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC). Now, I pulled the instructions from FCA to the dealer about the procedures of the recall (V61) and am curious if the service tech didn't pull the terminal like I did, as it is promptly written in the recall procedures to allow for a hard software reboot. There is so much involved with the electronics on these vehicles now of days. Nothing against my dealer, whom I love and have been wonderful to me, but stuff happens.

I gave Ram my VIN number and the dealer information for them to look further into it. I do have to take the truck back into the dealer soon, as I am having an issue with my 12-inch Uconnect system making my side of phone calls I am on go mute, like I hung up on the person I am on the phone with. So I am also going to have them check back and see about the issue as well. So, stay tuned, hopefully, that is all it was... but it is scary anyone could jump into your truck and take off with it if it was unlocked.

As for those who thought the spare keyfob was inside the cabin of the truck, I can assure you it wasn't. It was in the house in my bedroom.

I also want to say I am very impressed by how Ram dealt with my situation. Our 5thGenRams press representative reached out to me because engineering was concerned. As well as @RamCares who sent me a message providing help as soon as I posted the issue.

It is amazing how well Ram has stepped up their game in customer service in recent years and its good to know they are frequently reviewing our post for issues on 5thGenRams.com and HDRams.com.
Thanks for update, look forward to anything else you find out.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear they got it worked out. Seems like an isolated glitch of some sort.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE...

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that (a) the issue appears to be resolved, and (b) you feel Ram treated you well. That said, the fact that you are in the media business, and that you have a special "press representative", makes your pats on the back for Ram somewhat disingenuous. The average person doesn't have the stroke that you journalists/website owners do. Just look at the massive, massive amount of posts regarding poor air-conditioning performance, also a lot of posts about water leaks, etc. and how almost none of those owners has had anything close to satisfaction from their treatment by Ram. We can't disagree with the fact that YOU are happy with "how Ram stepped up" in this one instance, but just read all of the posts on your own website, then see if, in aggregate, you still think Ram deserves pats on the back. Ram makes great trucks, but the dealership service experience is a negative experience for an unacceptably high proportion of Ram owners.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
UPDATE...

I've been reading this with interest and appreciate your posts on this. But it may have been more helpful to NOT do the battery pull, since now the glitch has been fixed before Ram has a chance to debug what's going on.

As a software dev, nothing makes me more fuzzy inside than a customer who can reproduce the problem step by step accurately and with detail. Nuking the problem and "fixing it" somehow doesn't help me correct it, because now I can't backtrace it.

Oh well, nice to know it's probably a one-off or somewhat isolated in the wild.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that (a) the issue appears to be resolved, and (b) you feel Ram treated you well. That said, the fact that you are in the media business, and that you have a special "press representative", makes your pats on the back for Ram somewhat disingenuous. The average person doesn't have the stroke that you journalists/website owners do. Just look at the massive, massive amount of posts regarding poor air-conditioning performance, also a lot of posts about water leaks, etc. and how almost none of those owners has had anything close to satisfaction from their treatment by Ram. We can't disagree with the fact that YOU are happy with "how Ram stepped up" in this one instance, but just read all of the posts on your own website, then see if, in aggregate, you still think Ram deserves pats on the back. Ram makes great trucks, but the dealership service experience is a negative experience for an unacceptably high proportion of Ram owners.

I would have to argue with you on that one. Just because we are in the press doesn't mean anything really different. I purchased our long-term 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport with my own money and with discounts from Ram because we are in the press, nor have they given us any discounts on any of the Mopar accessories for our truck. That being said, I have been a normal customer since purchasing the truck on April 22nd.

Now, when I made the video the night I discovered the issue, I did it because I would have never made the discovery of the problem if I didnt have my keyfob on my person. As soon as I posted this article on the forums @RamCares reached out to me as I see them do for many of our forum members when they have issues asking if I needed assistance in guiding me in the right direction.

It just so happens that Ram also watches our YouTube channel and website, as they do many others and seen our issue. The video itself only has a couple of thousand hits (nothing to really push it to the forefront of YouTube's search results). But Ram does reach out to customers when they do see potential issues, as some of our other 5thGenRams forum members have seen in the past. You can search the forums and find a few threads where Ram had reached out to the customer to find the issue.

The only difference in my situation was that our Ram media representative reached out to us on behalf of engineering since they talk to us on a regular basis. The first thing they asked me was if I had a keyfob in the truck. When I wrote back the situation to them and I told them I was taking it to my local dealer, they asked me if I was willing to share the VIN of the truck as well as my dealer, so they could research the issue to make sure if it was an ongoing issue with other trucks, so I did.

Now before I took the truck in, my cousin who is an ASE certified mechanic told me to try to do a "hard reset of the truck" by disconnecting the battery and letting it set. Remember this was just before Thanksgiving and I couldn't get into the dealer for service until the following week. I didn't want to have my truck vulnerable for theft, so I did what my cousin said and the hard reset seemed to solved the issue.

I waited a few days to make sure the issue did not reappear and I reached out to Ram engineering to tell them what I did and how it seemed to resolve the issue. It also seems to fix the Uconnect issue I had with my 12-inch screen disconnecting my calls on almost every phone call I was on. Ram told me to keep them in the loop if anything changes and they were going to research the issue.

However, never did Ram get me into the dealer faster or roll out a red carpet to get our truck fixed any faster than anyone else's. They simply stated concern about the issue and were looking to see if this issue might affect other customers or might be a cause for a potential recall.

As a member of the press, we might get test vehicles for a week here or there and get to go to special events to drive the vehicles before the public, but Ram and FCA as a whole love to hear honest feedback. They have told us to be honest in our reviews and not to sugar coat stuff since feedback helps them fixed issues the long run. FCA doesn't pay us to do the reviews, they might cover a flight, food, or lodging but usually a lot of it is done independently on our own. Example @Jared B went to drive the Rebel and Power Wagon in British Columbia a few months ago. Although the event was a few hours from his home, we both had traveled to Grand Bend, Ontario for a drag racing event for our site MoparInsiders.com and we paid for Jared to fly back home to go to the event and then fly back to Ontario to wrap up our other content for the sites.

If you are a follower of both the MoparInsiders and 5thGenRams YouTube channels, you will notice we do test a lot of vehicles (some of which we get through local dealers since not everything is available in the press fleet). One vehicle we were particularly hard on was the new 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock. Jared and I both felt after being at the debut of the truck at the Toronto Auto Show and him driving it, it felt more like a sticker package than something special. That being said Ram never said anything negative to us about it, but when you are part of the press and you give your honest opinion about something there are usually fans who will attack your opinion or something you are issue you are having.

Just like our friends at TFLTruck, when we do give our honest opinions about something you tend to get feedback and positive and negative on both sides. Something I have talked about with Andre a few times. It does matter if we are a strictly Ram site either, diehard fans will come at you. It shows how passionate people are, as I am about Mopars. But it's one of the reasons why I bought this truck. I wanted a platform to write about the positive and negative aspects of ownership in the long run, something we can't do with a vehicle handed over to us for a few hours or just a week.

My comment about Ram stands. I was really surprised at how fast @RamCares responded to us and I love the fact that Ram customer service is active on here and our HD site, HDRams.com. Did Ram get my issue fixed any faster... no. But I like the fact they reached out to me to see if they see if they can investigate the issue.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading this with interest and appreciate your posts on this. But it may have been more helpful to NOT do the battery pull, since now the glitch has been fixed before Ram has a chance to debug what's going on.

As a software dev, nothing makes me more fuzzy inside than a customer who can reproduce the problem step by step accurately and with detail. Nuking the problem and "fixing it" somehow doesn't help me correct it, because now I can't backtrace it.

Oh well, nice to know it's probably a one-off or somewhat isolated in the wild.

Yeah. I got the same feeling from Ram too. But again, I wasn't going to let my $65k truck have the chance of having someone just jump in it and take off. But I totally get what you are saying. It's been a week with no issues, but it also hasn't been confirmed it will or could happen again.

Ram has our trucks information and all of our services have been performed at our dealer, so they have access to everything that has been done to research the issue.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would have to argue with you on that one. Just because we are in the press doesn't mean anything really different. I purchased our long-term 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport with my own money and with discounts from Ram because we are in the press, nor have they given us any discounts on any of the Mopar accessories for our truck. That being said, I have been a normal customer since purchasing the truck on April 22nd.

Now, when I made the video the night I discovered the issue, I did it because I would have never made the discovery of the problem if I didnt have my keyfob on my person. As soon as I posted this article on the forums @RamCares reached out to me as I see them do for many of our forum members when they have issues asking if I needed assistance in guiding me in the right direction.

It just so happens that Ram also watches our YouTube channel and website, as they do many others and seen our issue. The video itself only has a couple of thousand hits (nothing to really push it to the forefront of YouTube's search results). But Ram does reach out to customers when they do see potential issues, as some of our other 5thGenRams forum members have seen in the past. You can search the forums and find a few threads where Ram had reached out to the customer to find the issue.

The only difference in my situation was that our Ram media representative reached out to us on behalf of engineering since they talk to us on a regular basis. The first thing they asked me was if I had a keyfob in the truck. When I wrote back the situation to them and I told them I was taking it to my local dealer, they asked me if I was willing to share the VIN of the truck as well as my dealer, so they could research the issue to make sure if it was an ongoing issue with other trucks, so I did.

Now before I took the truck in, my cousin who is an ASE certified mechanic told me to try to do a "hard reset of the truck" by disconnecting the battery and letting it set. Remember this was just before Thanksgiving and I couldn't get into the dealer for service until the following week. I didn't want to have my truck vulnerable for theft, so I did what my cousin said and the hard reset seemed to solved the issue.

I waited a few days to make sure the issue did not reappear and I reached out to Ram engineering to tell them what I did and how it seemed to resolve the issue. It also seems to fix the Uconnect issue I had with my 12-inch screen disconnecting my calls on almost every phone call I was on. Ram told me to keep them in the loop if anything changes and they were going to research the issue.

However, never did Ram get me into the dealer faster or roll out a red carpet to get our truck fixed any faster than anyone else's. They simply stated concern about the issue and were looking to see if this issue might affect other customers or might be a cause for a potential recall.

As a member of the press, we might get test vehicles for a week here or there and get to go to special events to drive the vehicles before the public, but Ram and FCA as a whole love to hear honest feedback. They have told us to be honest in our reviews and not to sugar coat stuff since feedback helps them fixed issues the long run. FCA doesn't pay us to do the reviews, they might cover a flight, food, or lodging but usually a lot of it is done independently on our own. Example @Jared B went to drive the Rebel and Power Wagon in British Columbia a few months ago. Although the event was a few hours from his home, we both had traveled to Grand Bend, Ontario for a drag racing event for our site MoparInsiders.com and we paid for Jared to fly back home to go to the event and then fly back to Ontario to wrap up our other content for the sites.

If you are a follower of both the MoparInsiders and 5thGenRams YouTube channels, you will notice we do test a lot of vehicles (some of which we get through local dealers since not everything is available in the press fleet). One vehicle we were particularly hard on was the new 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock. Jared and I both felt after being at the debut of the truck at the Toronto Auto Show and him driving it, it felt more like a sticker package than something special. That being said Ram never said anything negative to us about it, but when you are part of the press and you give your honest opinion about something there are usually fans who will attack your opinion or something you are issue you are having.

Just like our friends at TFLTruck, when we do give our honest opinions about something you tend to get feedback and positive and negative on both sides. Something I have talked about with Andre a few times. It does matter if we are a strictly Ram site either, diehard fans will come at you. It shows how passionate people are, as I am about Mopars. But it's one of the reasons why I bought this truck. I wanted a platform to write about the positive and negative aspects of ownership in the long run, something we can't do with a vehicle handed over to us for a few hours or just a week.

My comment about Ram stands. I was really surprised at how fast @RamCares responded to us and I love the fact that Ram customer service is active on here and our HD site, HDRams.com. Did Ram get my issue fixed any faster... no. But I like the fact they reached out to me to see if they see if they can investigate the issue.
All that being said, it goes without saying that RAM and Ram Cares are going to be more sensitive to your issues or posts because of your position. I have noticed one of the “hottest”(no pun intended”)Issues on this site is the adequacy of the A/C system. Would it be possible for you to get RAM to address this issue? Are you or any of your colleagues that drive the new RAM having issues? I am not asking this for myself, because my truck seems to work fine, but so many have posted on this site to the contrary. Thanks for any help you can give.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All that being said, it goes without saying that RAM and Ram Cares are going to be more sensitive to your issues or posts because of your position. I have noticed one of the “hottest”(no pun intended”)Issues on this site is the adequacy of the A/C system. Would it be possible for you to get RAM to address this issue? Are you or any of your colleagues that drive the new RAM having issues? I am not asking this for myself, because my truck seems to work fine, but so many have posted on this site to the contrary. Thanks for any help you can give.

Yes, all of the Rams I have driven including my personal truck all don't blow extremely cold in the heat. That included the 2020 Ram 1500 Tradesman ECODIESEL I drove at the media launch

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, all of the Rams I have driven including my personal truck all don't blow extremely cold in the heat. That included the 2020 Ram 1500 Tradesman ECODIESEL I drove at the media launch
It would be great if Ram Cares and Ram Engineering responded to 5thgenrams and all of the other poor owners with lousy AC performance, the same way they responded to 5thgenrams' keyfob issue. Any chance 5thgenrams can use the engineering contacts who responded to keyfob issue to highlight the AC performance problem?

Users who are viewing this thread