5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate issue

Scottg918514

Reaction score
Does anyone else have to really slam there MFT to get it to close properly? If I don’t slam it shut, in either mode, the other mode will not work and I get the tailgate open warning on the dash. It does close, but if not slammed shut, I get the noted issues.

Notice when I purchase and I couldn’t use the split opening function, the lever didn’t work. Tech came out and opened it the normal way and slammed it, then the split option worked.

Been slamming it ever since, and sometimes not hard enough. I know its a truck, but still seems excessive.

airgas1998

Reaction score
slam to close normally?? hell no....firmly yes....I have the mft it shouldn't be that forcefully needed...

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anyone else have to really slam there MFT to get it to close properly? If I don’t slam it shut, in either mode, the other mode will not work and I get the tailgate open warning on the dash. It does close, but if not slammed shut, I get the noted issues.

Notice when I purchase and I couldn’t use the split opening function, the lever didn’t work. Tech came out and opened it the normal way and slammed it, then the split option worked.

Been slamming it ever since, and sometimes not hard enough. I know its a truck, but still seems excessive.

Hi Scottg918514,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. Please let us know if you decide to have your dealer look into this for you. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

ylu87

Reaction score
Theres something wrong with that tail gate. I came across the same problem when i was shopping around. The first dealership had one with the mft in showroom and you had to slam it really hard for it to work properly. I told the sales guy that theres something wrong with this tailgate and we shouldn't have to use this much force to have it shut right. They keep insisting that there was nothing wrong with it. So i left and went to another dealership to check if all the mft was like that. The second dealership had 5 in stock with the mft and i tested them all and none of them needed excessive force to have them shut properly.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If its anything like my normal tailgate, it required slamming firmly to keep the open message from appearing on my cluster. Plus, it would not always lower. You could hear it clicking to open, but not actually releasing. I took a T-45 torx bit and loosened the passenger side tailgate strike-post, slid it rearwards about an 1/8th inch and retightened. This eliminated all of my tailgate issues permanently to date. Truck is 1 year old with 20k miles now. Tailgate works perfectly. Closes without slamming, and no message. MFT guys may be having a similar issues. It literally took less than a minute to resolve by moving the post.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If its anything like my normal tailgate, it required slamming firmly to keep the open message from appearing on my cluster. Plus, it would not always lower. You could hear it clicking to open, but not actually releasing. I took a T-45 torx bit and loosened the passenger side tailgate strike-post, slid it rearwards about an 1/8th inch and retightened. This eliminated all of my tailgate issues permanently to date. Truck is 1 year old with 20k miles now. Tailgate works perfectly. Closes without slamming, and no message. MFT guys may be having a similar issues. It literally took less than a minute to resolve by moving the post.

Going to try this... My wife gave me a glare when I opened and re-shut the tailgate after she closed it the other day. And she was like "Don't trust me shutting the tailgate, huh?" And I was like No just you have to slam it for both sides to latch.
This fix may avoid a slap in the future.... :ROFLMAO:

Triton63

Reaction score
Not sure about the mft but my 2014 you have to slam hard or it may open itself going over a big bump while driving. It’s been this way since I bought it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a part-time business opportunity here ;-)

Beatle9999

Reaction score
When I bought mine and the guy went to gas it up he took forever (45 mins). He finally drove up and told me he took it to have the MFT checked out because the light was going off. He told me you had to slam it hard to close. I’ve only really used the MFT to show people how it works but you definitely have to slam it hard for it to shut properly...not really a big deal.

Triton63

Reaction score
They did have a recall for that in the gen 4s
Yea the dealer told me there was nothing wrong with it 2 years ago and now I have a dent directly above the tailgate handle From a boat jack so they say it’s my fault now. Either way it works fine as long as it’s slammed

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
There are two things I slam regularly - one isn’t my tailgate

:)

Users who are viewing this thread