5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

intermittent humming noise and vibration

pgrant3491

Reaction score
I brought my truck in for this problem last Friday and was told that the ANC module software was up to date. They claim they uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but its not anywhere on my paperwork, so who knows if they did. Time will tell.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am to having the same problem! I have little over 1100 mile and it seems the vibration noise just gets worse. Before I take it to the dealership has anyone figured out what exactly the problem is so I can discuss it with them.
Thanks

Hi Bruce,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this! Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support as you address this with your dealer. We are just a private message away.

I brought my truck in for this problem last Friday and was told that the ANC module software was up to date. They claim they uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but its not anywhere on my paperwork, so who knows if they did. Time will tell.

Hi pgrant3491,

If this concern comes back, please feel free to follow up with us via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with additional support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow....same noise here.....brand new truck....about 400 mile on it. Appointment at dealer on Tuesday.

RamCares

Reaction score
Wow....same noise here.....brand new truck....about 400 mile on it. Appointment at dealer on Tuesday.

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this, jerrybob. Please be sure to keep us updated regarding your dealer's findings. If our team can be of any additional assistance while your truck is in service, we would be more than happy to help. We are just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Buysilverado

Reaction score
Wow I guess I should have done what my name says and bought another Silverado.
Same noise that everyone is complaining about here. When I take my foot off of the excelerator it makes this grinding/humming noise that has only gotten more frequent and louder as my truck now has 9,100 miles on it. Press down on the Excelerator and the noise goes away almost immediately otherwise it will last for 5-10 seconds or more even. Dealership told me to press the tow haul button to see if the noise goes away and guess what...? It does go away, but of coarse it goes away cause guess what happens when you press the tow haul button...? The SAME EXACT THING THAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PRESS THE GAS PEDAL!!! THE RPM’s INCREASE!!! Which then makes the noise go away so that was a genius thing to advise me to do, what a joke!
The only reason I bought this truck was because we had a baby and I needed the crew cab now because fitting that car seat in the back of a double/quad cab Silverado wouldn’t work, but hey at least neither of those ever gave me a single issue! Something I have also noticed is when the temp outside drops into the mid 60’s is when I hear the noise much more often.
So let’s see here horrible service from 2 of the dealerships in my area and the third is only slightly better. Oh ya they “got my part in” on Wednesday but here I am on the Saturday before I leave town for a week and they still haven’t gotten me in to get it replaced. Seriously considering taking this truck to trade it in and get a crew cab Silverado. Words can not describe how mad I am about this. Everyone on here please reach out to me and let’s make Chrysler fix this issue because everyone is having it and it’s been going on for far too long!

pgrant3491

Reaction score
So the problem still exists. What do I do now?

Mags2020

Reaction score
I’ve been having this same issue about a month after my purchase of a 2019 Ram 1500 2wd Bighorn. The vibration and humming noise only occurs at speeds 20 - 40 mph . I replaced my exhaust with an aftermarket Flowmaster but noise continues. I installed a leveling kit but noise continues. It appears to affect the driver side more . What else should i check?

Mcgugan87

Reaction score
Well mines in dealer now 2019 ram 1500 sport same issues as everyone’s talking about let’s hope they find and fix it!

RamCares

Reaction score
Well mines in dealer now 2019 ram 1500 sport same issues as everyone’s talking about let’s hope they find and fix it!

Hi Mcgugan87,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing. Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If we can be of any additional support while your truck is in service, our team is just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

BrucePeterson

Reaction score
Wow I guess I should have done what my name says and bought another Silverado.
Same noise that everyone is complaining about here. When I take my foot off of the excelerator it makes this grinding/humming noise that has only gotten more frequent and louder as my truck now has 9,100 miles on it. Press down on the Excelerator and the noise goes away almost immediately otherwise it will last for 5-10 seconds or more even. Dealership told me to press the tow haul button to see if the noise goes away and guess what...? It does go away, but of coarse it goes away cause guess what happens when you press the tow haul button...? The SAME EXACT THING THAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PRESS THE GAS PEDAL!!! THE RPM’s INCREASE!!! Which then makes the noise go away so that was a genius thing to advise me to do, what a joke!
The only reason I bought this truck was because we had a baby and I needed the crew cab now because fitting that car seat in the back of a double/quad cab Silverado wouldn’t work, but hey at least neither of those ever gave me a single issue! Something I have also noticed is when the temp outside drops into the mid 60’s is when I hear the noise much more often.
So let’s see here horrible service from 2 of the dealerships in my area and the third is only slightly better. Oh ya they “got my part in” on Wednesday but here I am on the Saturday before I leave town for a week and they still haven’t gotten me in to get it replaced. Seriously considering taking this truck to trade it in and get a crew cab Silverado. Words can not describe how mad I am about this. Everyone on here please reach out to me and let’s make Chrysler fix this issue because everyone is having it and it’s been going on for far too long!
Well Said!!!

Ramicorn

Reaction score
I also just purchased my first 2019 Ram Big Horn 4x4 crew cab that sadly has demonstrated the same issue after only 5 days of ownership. Does anyone have a path forward such as a document we need to fill out and submit to Ram in order to get this fixed? Anybody know the CEO or Chief Engineer's email address?

RamCares

Reaction score
I also just purchased my first 2019 Ram Big Horn 4x4 crew cab that sadly has demonstrated the same issue after only 5 days of ownership. Does anyone have a path forward such as a document we need to fill out and submit to Ram in order to get this fixed? Anybody know the CEO or Chief Engineer's email address?

Hi Ramicorn,

I do apologize that you are also experiencing this concern. To clarify, have you had a chance to address this with your selling dealer? If not, I kindly recommend doing so as they are in the best position to provide assistance on this concern. Additionally, please know that our team here is more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process. We are just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

JohnnyD

Reaction score
Yep. Me too. Bought the 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew Cab end of June. First time owning a pickup. Initially thought something wrong with the front-end drive. But anytime I asked anyone who rode in the truck with me if they think that's normal would ask what? Figured truck needs to be broken-in. Then figured it might be the big deep-treaded tires (which the dealer had inflated to 64psi!!!). Of course lowered pressures to 55 front 45 rear as per the door label. Now have close to 3000 miles / 4500Km. Been watching this threat since October. Got an ANC delete cable. This actually helped (especially since I was hearing clipping from the passenger-side speaker when playing 80s music (sorry - I kinda like 80s music)! Anyway the ANC deletor took care of the speaker problem, deep weird grinding noises have all but gone away (still some intermittent vibes felt on the steering wheel - but it doesn't really bother me). Unfortunately, the oscillating hum while coasting (roughly 1200-2000 RPM) or with engine breaking at 30-40ish mph is still there. Not as loud pre-deletor, but still there. I don't have much time in my schedule to be taking the truck in for 'service,' especially based on many of the comments that confirmed what I already know: Unless something is seriously broken, you take it in, they check it out, tell you there is nothing wrong and if the problem comes back to make another appointment. That's partly why I bought a new truck - to avoid time servicing my old Durango. Moreover, was happy to see there's an ANC software update - and folks initially said the problem is solved! But many have further complained, even with the latest version of the software the oscillating hum is still there. Personal experience: noise similar to this indicated a ball-joint (on my wife's Journey) or rear differential losing oil (on my old '05 Durango). It isn't the wheels or differential(s). Honestly, I think Dodge created a substandard 8-speed tranny, or the forward drive mechanism, maybe went ooops! or maybe knew about it after prototype but either way they were either too late (was already in production) or were pushed to production due to corporate deadlines, and thus tried to fix the issue by using active noise cancellation (the ANC module). Trouble with ANC is that it has to emit cancellation waves specific to the noise received through the mics but without cancelling-out music or people talking (which actually would be cool to see - people talking but no one can hear them). I think the humming is within the bandwidth of voice and music - it would therefore be impossible to fully cancel (and would as a biproduct produce weird vibrations and noises whenever the cancellation goes out of phase to the noise the mod is trying to cancel). Now unless there's a software update for the drivetrain itself - or unless Dodge actually says: here is the problem, here is the fix! I think putting up with it for a year or two, maybe by pumping up the stereo (going deaf in the process), and then trading the truck in might be the best solution. PS: got into a small fender-bender, nothing major, and got a Silverado rental. I hated it for lack of features. But let me tell you, it was very quiet and smooth in comparison. Anyways - I know I'll get a reply saying something like:

"I do apologize that you are also experiencing this concern. To clarify, have you had a chance to address this with your selling dealer? If not, I kindly recommend doing so as they are in the best position to provide assistance on this concern. Additionally, please know that our team here is more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process. We are just a PM away."

Sorry CS folks - at least you're getting paid to respond to these. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer during the Spring or Summer months. Maybe there'll be an actual solution by then. But I don't have time to do the back-and-forth dance right now. Too bad cars and trucks don't come with money-back warranties, otherwise this would have been a return and request for refund within three weeks of purchase.

JohnnyD

Reaction score
Yep. Me too. Bought the 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew Cab end of June. First time owning a pickup. Initially thought something wrong with the front-end drive. But anytime I asked anyone who rode in the truck with me if they think that's normal would ask what? Figured truck needs to be broken-in. Then figured it might be the big deep-treaded tires (which the dealer had inflated to 64psi!!!). Of course lowered pressures to 55 front 45 rear as per the door label. Now have close to 3000 miles / 4500Km. Been watching this threat since October. Got an ANC delete cable. This actually helped (especially since I was hearing clipping from the passenger-side speaker when playing 80s music (sorry - I kinda like 80s music)! Anyway the ANC deletor took care of the speaker problem, deep weird grinding noises have all but gone away (still some intermittent vibes felt on the steering wheel - but it doesn't really bother me). Unfortunately, the oscillating hum while coasting (roughly 1200-2000 RPM) or with engine breaking at 30-40ish mph is still there. Not as loud pre-deletor, but still there. I don't have much time in my schedule to be taking the truck in for 'service,' especially based on many of the comments that confirmed what I already know: Unless something is seriously broken, you take it in, they check it out, tell you there is nothing wrong and if the problem comes back to make another appointment. That's partly why I bought a new truck - to avoid time servicing my old Durango. Moreover, was happy to see there's an ANC software update - and folks initially said the problem is solved! But many have further complained, even with the latest version of the software the oscillating hum is still there. Personal experience: noise similar to this indicated a ball-joint (on my wife's Journey) or rear differential losing oil (on my old '05 Durango). It isn't the wheels or differential(s). Honestly, I think Dodge created a substandard 8-speed tranny, or the forward drive mechanism, maybe went ooops! or maybe knew about it after prototype but either way they were either too late (was already in production) or were pushed to production due to corporate deadlines, and thus tried to fix the issue by using active noise cancellation (the ANC module). Trouble with ANC is that it has to emit cancellation waves specific to the noise received through the mics but without cancelling-out music or people talking (which actually would be cool to see - people talking but no one can hear them). I think the humming is within the bandwidth of voice and music - it would therefore be impossible to fully cancel (and would as a biproduct produce weird vibrations and noises whenever the cancellation goes out of phase to the noise the mod is trying to cancel). Now unless there's a software update for the drivetrain itself - or unless Dodge actually says: here is the problem, here is the fix! I think putting up with it for a year or two, maybe by pumping up the stereo (going deaf in the process), and then trading the truck in might be the best solution. PS: got into a small fender-bender, nothing major, and got a Silverado rental. I hated it for lack of features. But let me tell you, it was very quiet and smooth in comparison. Anyways - I know I'll get a reply saying something like:

"I do apologize that you are also experiencing this concern. To clarify, have you had a chance to address this with your selling dealer? If not, I kindly recommend doing so as they are in the best position to provide assistance on this concern. Additionally, please know that our team here is more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process. We are just a PM away."

Sorry CS folks - at least you're getting paid to respond to these. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer during the Spring or Summer months. Maybe there'll be an actual solution by then. But I don't have time to do the back-and-forth dance right now. Too bad cars and trucks don't come with money-back warranties, otherwise this would have been a return and request for refund within three weeks of purchase.

Follow-up:
Had nothing better to do tonight other than work on several projects - slow night. Anyways, this is the type of noise one typically hears (usually only) when driving/coasting a car on a low gear - if you set your trans on first for example (most vehicles), you hear a decidedly humming sound as the vehicle moves faster, especially beyond the shift point to second. I decided to take the truck out for a spin and here is what I did and what I found - if this helps:
-Outside conditions (wet/foggy - roughly 50 degrees F / 10 C); Trans Temp 80s to 90 degrees C)
-Fan and stereo off (PS: do both and definitely hear the oscillating hum)
-Accelerated to 60 mph and then decelerated. Humming persists, loudest around 40-30 mph decelerating.
-Pressed on gear limit across all 8 gears - accelerated to 8th gear then decelerated to 1 (except for reverse) the humming is there on each (just different pitches - as the transmission lowers the gear while decelerating the higher the pitch; high-pitch especially on 3, 2 and 1, lower humming (and more annoying pitch between 4th and 6th). Deep muffler/exhaust sound (which I love) may contribute to not hearing as much of an annoying sound on 7th and 8th.
-Sound is not there on reverse.
-Ran on 2WD, 4WD high and 4WD low (latter at speeds below 20mph) - no difference.
-Ran the truck on Tow/haul (up to 50mph). While the higher exhaust and engine noise rev-ing overpowers the humming noise, listening carefully, you still hear the oscillating humming noise across all transmission gears as the vehicle decelerates (honestly, I think the noise is there on acceleration, the engine rev-ing and exhaust sound overpower the humming for our ears making it seem like the noise is only there on deceleration or coasting).
-Ran with trac-control off - no difference.
-Ran with rear-axel lock at straight line to about 15 mph (don't drive w/ra-off except for slippery surfaces unless straight-line) - no difference.
-Remember - this is all with an ANC deletor installed so ANC plays no part in this.

-I think the problem is with the design of the drives (both front and rear), not the transmission. I'm not a mechanic or engineer though (I mean it could be some bearing somewhere or these days some software upgrade needed for the drivetrain). Understand when dealership mechanics don't know. There's nothing that indicates the truck has any mechanical problem (e.g. excessive friction in the transmission = greater heat, but it is perfectly normal according to the instrument panel).

Anyway,
Good luck to you'all. Let me know if ever there is a fix.

CROW

Reaction score
Going on a full year of dealing with this noise. Back and forth to the dealership, on the phone with FCA, reflashing ECU, crack your windows, turn on tow/haul mode, blah, blah, blah. FCA simply doesn't know what the problem is. I posted a short video on YouTube with more to come. You really cannot hear the noise very well unless you have speakers with a bit of bass. If you have this noise, good luck... I'll be talking to FCA Engineering AGAIN today.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Latest update.....I have the humming vibration problem...see above. Took truck to dealer a few weeks ago.....they ran some diagnostics….took truck for test ride.....said they found a code in the speakers....cleared code and problem seems to be better. I have to drive 60 miles to dealer one way. On the way home...noise was back....oh boy. We just took a little trip for a few days up the coast.....had a dog kennel and some stuff in the back seat. Noise was worse than ever....at about 1100 to 1300 RPM....when you let off the gas.....the humming noise is louder than ever. If you put your hand on the door speakers when the humming is happening...you can feel the serious vibrations. This really is annoying. Message to Mark at RAM cares.....if you care.....what can you really do to help? This is a known problem on many brand new trucks.....RAM should fix this problem. I will eventually take truck back to dealer but....realistically.....my confidence level is not real high. HELP!!!!!!!!

RamCares

Reaction score
Latest update.....I have the humming vibration problem...see above. Took truck to dealer a few weeks ago.....they ran some diagnostics….took truck for test ride.....said they found a code in the speakers....cleared code and problem seems to be better. I have to drive 60 miles to dealer one way. On the way home...noise was back....oh boy. We just took a little trip for a few days up the coast.....had a dog kennel and some stuff in the back seat. Noise was worse than ever....at about 1100 to 1300 RPM....when you let off the gas.....the humming noise is louder than ever. If you put your hand on the door speakers when the humming is happening...you can feel the serious vibrations. This really is annoying. Message to Mark at RAM cares.....if you care.....what can you really do to help? This is a known problem on many brand new trucks.....RAM should fix this problem. I will eventually take truck back to dealer but....realistically.....my confidence level is not real high. HELP!!!!!!!!

Hi jerrybob,

I am terribly sorry to hear this update. Please know that I have just responded to your most recent private message on this. Please follow up with me there when you can!

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread