5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool set up

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I’d consider doing this in a 1500. The 2500 has few if any benefits over a 1500

Enjoy!

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Yeah but you really don’t need it - given the advancement in recovery gear you don’t even need a winch anymore unless you are headed to the amazon - on board air, the right tires, shovel, and some tracks and you can manage any sand or mud. Rock crawling is another story

R

Rob5589

The 1500's major weakness is the front suspension. You aren't going to get the articulation the 2500 will using ifs and stub axles. Based on pure visual assessment, I wouldn't want to run a 40" on it either. It just isn't large enough to reliably handle tires that size and take on the trails in the video. That type of terrain lends itself to lifting tires as well as hanging one between rocks or slab. I would definitely want lockers, front and rear. And a winch.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I agree entirely but I guess I likely wouldn’t bring my kids on that trail. If you wanted to do the white rim or some of the outback Arizona Utah Oregon trails no problem. But yeah if you’re hammering devils revenge and stuff like that you might as well have a JK/JL/JT. TFL took the 1500 on some fun stuff in their videos and it performed but no factory truck excerpt maybe a raptor if you could fit it would manage those rock crawling trails. Hence why I singled that out in my post above

JustMe

Reaction score
Yeah but you really don’t need it - given the advancement in recovery gear you don’t even need a winch anymore unless you are headed to the amazon - on board air, the right tires, shovel, and some tracks and you can manage any sand or mud. Rock crawling is another story
I agree with your previous post & this one, but I'll raise you a Chain Saw versus the winch only because of those pesky downed trees in the middle of the Trail . . . and I have no friends to speak of (kidding) so I wouldn't need that winch to pull their sorry asses out of a mud hole or boggy road side ditch they stupidly slide into cause they were driving too fast down the muddy, slick dirt-road during a rain / hail squall !? ;)

JustMe

Reaction score
to; HotHareSpey . . . this is FrozenTortoiseNeutered . . . why I say, I say that's a joke son ! (old people would get that silliness) . POINT is, I'm intrigued by your "name" - could you explain the references . . . I have my guess, and I'll tell you if I'm spot-on when you tell . Thanks, & sorry for the Temporary misdirection of the thread .

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I agree with your previous post & this one, but I'll raise you a Chain Saw versus the winch only because of those pesky downed trees in the middle of the Trail . . . and I have no friends to speak of (kidding) so I wouldn't need that winch to pull their sorry asses out of a mud hole or boggy road side ditch they stupidly slide into cause they were driving too fast down the muddy, slick dirt-road during a rain / hail squall !? ;)

hysterical! Thx for making me laugh :)

“Just me” - welcome to the forum. A *Hot Hare Spey* is a reference to a custom fly used on a spey two handed fly rod. There is a little bit of art and skill to pitch a spey rod. I once had a life of leisure and from time to time I return to my favorite water to hunt bows browns and atlantics on a big river

I vary from traditional spey flies to these articulated ones. My pictures of nature fish and gear got me a few benefits from a popular company - I’ve always been a working man but things picked up considerably this fall and are full steam ahead. I have to squeeze those days in now but I’m not complaining....

any other anglers here?

View attachment 40912 723FEA3F-56EE-4BF2-BF8A-810364EB3001.png 5BE446E5-56F7-4C7B-8AF7-BFB34939E3F0.png D226F1F2-0690-4054-B117-E180768F5C70.png

JustMe

Reaction score
hysterical! Thx for making me laugh :)

“Just me” - welcome to the forum. A *Hot Hare Spey* is a reference to a custom fly used on a spey two handed fly rod. There is a little bit of art and skill to pitch a spey rod. I once had a life of leisure and from time to time I return to my favorite water to hunt bows browns and atlantics on a big river

I vary from traditional spey flies to these articulated ones. My pictures of nature fish and gear got me a few benefits from a popular company - I’ve always been a working man but things picked up considerably this fall and are full steam ahead. I have to squeeze those days in now but I’m not complaining....

any other anglers here?

View attachment 40912 View attachment 40913 View attachment 40914 View attachment 40915
I must confess . . . I was hoping MY thoughts on the "name" were correct . Guess what ? YUP, yes-sir-ree !
Now I'm wondering . . . should I officially let the wabbit out of the hat ? If this photo is a "clue" > (damn keyboard needs a down arrow ! 26 /27 inch 'U.C.' Bow . . . releasing 99% is ALWAYS better . . . don't you agree ?
sept 2010 008-1.jpg
ok, not satisfied ? Hmmm . . . let us see . . . not the same bow, this one is a mere 20incher (my 14ft Pintail behind me) - somewhere on the MO last year .
P1000412.JPG

My Spey days are / were behind me (~1999>2005) via WA. State . News Flash coming across the wires . . . Trout Spey Addiction appears to be a "Reel Thing !" . I can attest to that, since I recently attended A (The?) 3-day Trout Spey Clinic (MT.) . Naturally I immediately re-fell In Full Lust / Love Mode & my 11" Rod is my new best friend (oops, no dirty talk implications . . . I meant 11ft. Trout Spey Fly Rod o_O !) Egg sucking bunny leeches get the job done !
Your being a bit "shy" . . . PM me and tell me more of Your escapades . . . perhaps we could share a day on the water some time ?

pssst . . . don't tell anyone this, but in & around some other forums / blogs i'm known as . . . FlyFinaticLou ! Oh damn I just did my 2nd "confession" and I'm not even Cathartic . . . oops, I mean Catholic ! Though I do tend to get emotional when I "release a big one" ! :unsure: :rolleyes: :LOL: .
Not really "new" here, just reinvented due to computer issues ( perhaps for another time?).

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I must confess . . . I was hoping MY thoughts on the "name" were correct . Guess what ? YUP, yes-sir-ree !
Now I'm wondering . . . should I officially let the wabbit out of the hat ? If this photo is a "clue" > (damn keyboard needs a down arrow ! 26 /27 inch 'U.C.' Bow . . . releasing 99% is ALWAYS better . . . don't you agree ?
View attachment 40930
ok, not satisfied ? Hmmm . . . let us see . . . not the same bow, this one is a mere 20incher (my 14ft Pintail behind me) - somewhere on the MO last year .
View attachment 40931

My Spey days are / were behind me (~1999>2005) via WA. State . News Flash coming across the wires . . . Trout Spey Addiction appears to be a "Reel Thing !" . I can attest to that, since I recently attended A (The?) 3-day Trout Spey Clinic (MT.) . Naturally I immediately re-fell In Full Lust / Love Mode & my 11" Rod is my new best friend (oops, no dirty talk implications . . . I meant 11ft. Trout Spey Fly Rod o_O !) Egg sucking bunny leeches get the job done !
Your being a bit "shy" . . . PM me and tell me more of Your escapades . . . perhaps we could share a day on the water some time ?

pssst . . . don't tell anyone this, but in & around some other forums / blogs i'm known as . . . FlyFinaticLou ! Oh damn I just did my 2nd "confession" and I'm not even Cathartic . . . oops, I mean Catholic ! Though I do tend to get emotional when I "release a big one" ! :unsure: :rolleyes: :LOL: .
Not really "new" here, just reinvented due to computer issues ( perhaps for another time?).

Hahahaha what are the odds! For a second I thought you might be a vengeful Ex so I was taking an inventory lol

Fantastic! Great pictures. Would love to connect on the water. PM your address and I’ll send you some goodies just for being a two hander aficionado!

Who lead the clinic? Was it through Head Hunters? I bought out John’s collection of Arnold’s version of a zonker (only bigger) and would be happy to send you some if you are a skagit man. I’m in love with the Gaelforce line which is a mid belly@37ft + a poly. So I only use unweighted or lightly weighted flies like the Hot Hare or Graboid

Since we are sharing!!

I’ll indulge a bit if you’ll allow it :)

C7733C85-C45A-4B75-A768-32177A4C3839.png 7DDB4965-EC1F-4F57-BF01-D39DC4DD7FF2.png 87293598-D0CC-486C-BD48-1FD4B89D28FD.png B196C3C5-14EB-432F-ACFB-1044076A1471.png 8E742795-1101-4673-ABFF-4A842B85C41A.png 8D75051E-F7B2-450E-8A3F-1932630AB4BC.png CC940527-CB8F-45B3-BC7D-636DB48C20B7.png 5531771D-1D08-490F-B416-261FF9331E98.png

I better stop before I crash the site :)

So glad you spoke up!! You are welcome to highjack my threads anytime. Hit you up soon

best wishes,

HHS

JustMe

Reaction score
I’d consider doing this in a 1500. The 2500 has few if any benefits over a 1500

Enjoy!

OK, let's see if we can get this thread BACK ON TRACK !? Fly fishings gone PM.
Inspirational video for sure, for those who have the ORP or a Rebel or are just plain "Ballsy".
LET'S TALK CAPS . . or as the Aussies and S. African's call-em, Canopies ! Wether it's a Gladiator or in this case a RAM DT . . . Crew or Quad, the following S. African Company WILL have it "covered" Early in 2020. With full complement displays in 2020's Overland Expo in Flagstaff / May 13 - 15 . WHO ? RSI SmartCap !
Forget waiting for some flimsy fiberglass ARE, SnugTop or LEER or . . . ?
www.rsismartcap.com first seen by me via videos, at SEMA and then their website. NOT yet seen on a RAM or Gladiator, but standby in Early 2020 . I've had a very nice email conversation with DAN, the Company VP, and he assures me they HAVE the CADs for both the Gladiator and both crew & quad versions of the RAM DT.
Dan also answers my Concerns on Design aspects -- they are being accurate & true to following the trucks LINES so these Canopies will be both Functional and good looking. The RAM design will be SLIGHTLY taller than the roof line and pretty much In Line with the Gladiators hardtop . If VP Dan's assessment is correct, I'm gonna LIKE these Much More than the Alu-Cab version, which does look odd with its steeply sloping sides (on the Gladiator) .
I haven't made a final decision as to wether I'll buy a RAM Quad w/ORP or a Gladiator Sport S w/Max Tow ? ?
But either way I'll have the RSI Canopy Option ! Now to just get through the Holidays "unscathed" !?. ;)
I'm going RAM or JEEP by Birthday Time (March) . . . (y)

JustMe

Reaction score
"OPEN LETTER" TO @HotHareSpey . . . seeing as how WE (you & I) had Strayed the original intent of Your Thread . . . I feel YOU should Request, of a Moderator, to REMOVE the Fly Fishing Posts / distractions ! Perhaps CHANGE the Title of the Thread to more reflect . . . such as - 'Overlanding your truck (bed) . . . Racks, Toppers & Such !' ;)(y)

Users who are viewing this thread