5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar factory installed trifold soft tonneau cover

rick_od

Reaction score
Crap, or crappy install? Some things, as we're all discovering, are not perfectly installed from factory, but that's what warranty protection is for.

I gave the soft trifold a 5 out of 10 because I initially thought it was a cheap, loose fitting cover. I was intrigued by the folding and quick release functionality of it.

Looking at it closely this morning and learning the mechanics of it, I've decided it was poor installation and not product quality that turned me off at delivery. My personal opinion is the factory is installing the lockdown handles too far away from the tailgate, causing water to penetrate and the rear of the cover to flap at highway speed.

So, out come the tools and you basically have to disassemble the rear 3rd section to move the tiedown handles to the other side of the support rail, closer to the tailgate. And viola, a nice, straight and snug fitting tonneau cover for ya! Equal to the Truxedo roll up, now that it fits tight.

Anyone wants a tool list or complete instructions and pics of finished fit, let me know.

I had a look at mine today as mine is also loose at the front and rear.

My question is, are you familiar with how Jeep tops have that plastic edge sewn into the top material along the edges and it is that plastic edge that actually tucks in and holds the top in place? Is that how the tonneau cover is held in place to the tonneau cover frame? i want to pull the corner off the corner but dont want to cause any harm.

thanks!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a look at mine today as mine is also loose at the front and rear.

My question is, are you familiar with how Jeep tops have that plastic edge sewn into the top material along the edges and it is that plastic edge that actually tucks in and holds the top in place? Is that how the tonneau cover is held in place to the tonneau cover frame? i want to pull the corner off the corner but dont want to cause any harm.

thanks!
The corners are tight, but can be disassembled without damage.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I had the "flapping" issue and was ready to move the rear clamps back, as I thought they were too far from the back. On further inspection, I noticed that the front driver's side and rear passenger side clamps didn't fully grasp the rail, so I figured I'd make the dealer do some work first. It took some effort, but they finally agreed to install new clamps (they didn't think it was going to work). I'm not sure if they replaced all or some, but now it fits great and all four clamps make contact. Based on before and after pics, they are still in the same locations.

I see the "bumps" in the pics posted, but my rail is smooth end-to-end. I was looking for something like that before, thinking it would validate that the clamps are in the wrong place. The pics look like a std bed, and I have the Ram Boxes, so that is probably the difference.

I have the same issues as you. With the ram box there is no hump to move the clamp to. Did you ever move your clamps more rearward to see if it makes a difference?

TimW451

Reaction score
I have the same issues as you. With the ram box there is no hump to move the clamp to. Did you ever move your clamps more rearward to see if it makes a difference?
I did not move them, as the new clamps fixed the problem. I would suggest trying to get the dealer to replace the clamps first. If that doesn’t work, you could make yourself “bumps” for the clamps to latch on to. Some type of self adhesive rubber or gasket material might work.

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
TimW451 is absolutely correct. I ordered these anti-skid rubber furniture pads. Simply cut to size and stick under the bedrail where the clamps line up. Being anti-skid, the cover no longer can slide around and adding the extra thickness closed all my gaps. I’m guessing you could double them up if you had larger gaps.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not move them, as the new clamps fixed the problem. I would suggest trying to get the dealer to replace the clamps first. If that doesn’t work, you could make yourself “bumps” for the clamps to latch on to. Some type of self adhesive rubber or gasket material might work.

TimW451 is absolutely correct. I ordered these anti-skid rubber furniture pads. Simply cut to size and stick under the bedrail where the clamps line up. Being anti-skid, the cover no longer can slide around and adding the extra thickness closed all my gaps. I’m guessing you could double them up if you had larger gaps.

I used the rubber bumps to tighten mine up....seems to work well.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I broke one of the clamps today. Does anyone have a part number to order new ones?
Thanks

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I broke one of the clamps today. Does anyone have a part number to order new ones?
Thanks
I would also like the part # because I'm thinking about adding two clamps to the middle section for added security. Really wished they had a metal version.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
hey all just picked up a laramie with the factory trifold cover, not the mopar accessory which is different. anyways i have had a similar covers on previous rams and always found the fit and finishon them to be pretty good. One this one there is a lot of side to side slop and also front to back like the little rubber bumpers that are supposed to line it up to the front and side rails are not adjusted correctly. is there anyway to adjusted these rubber pieces to take up the slack?

Stryker6040

Reaction score
hey all just picked up a laramie with the factory trifold cover, not the mopar accessory which is different. anyways i have had a similar covers on previous rams and always found the fit and finishon them to be pretty good. One this one there is a lot of side to side slop and also front to back like the little rubber bumpers that are supposed to line it up to the front and side rails are not adjusted correctly. is there anyway to adjusted these rubber pieces to take up the slack?
I was able to work the slop out of the cover so the fit is much better, playing around with trying to make it a bit tighter of a fit. The tension the four latchs make are lacking, i saw that someone mentioned moving the cover back a bit the the rubber piece landed on the hump under the rail but when i do this the front seal is too far back, has anyone came up with a retro piece to add to the yellow stopper on the latch to apply more tension to the cover

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was able to work the slop out of the cover so the fit is much better, playing around with trying to make it a bit tighter of a fit. The tension the four latchs make are lacking, i saw that someone mentioned moving the cover back a bit the the rubber piece landed on the hump under the rail but when i do this the front seal is too far back, has anyone came up with a retro piece to add to the yellow stopper on the latch to apply more tension to the cover
What exactly did you do to take the slip out? I would love to make mine tighter.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
What exactly did you do to take the slip out? I would love to make mine tighter.
So i bent the brackets with the rubber bumper towards the side rails which took out the side to side slop and also bent the brackets towards the front rail to move the entire cover a bit further back so it sits better on the tailgate. After doing this i took some sheet rubber i had laying around and experimented with different thinknesses until i came up with what i needed, cut the strips approx 1.5w x 2l and glued them to the underside of the bed rails where the latch catches which applies more overall downwards pressure to the cover. Basically the yellow rubber/plastic part of the latch sits on the rubber spacer vs direct on the metal of the under rail

Fausimo

Reaction score
View attachment 5755
The piece in the corner that looks like a baseball diamond is the corner for the top cover and bottom weatherstrip. There are multiple fastneners in there. Sadly both corners need to be removed to move the clamps, after removing the forward midrail.
View attachment 5756
Correct position after reassembly.
View attachment 5757
Did doing this cause problems to anyone? My 2021 has a sticker that shows not to do it...
IMG_20210418_111454.jpg
I was thinking of adding rubber washers to the round parts of the lever

RAMpressedLimited

Reaction score
I moved the rear hinges, wasn’t too bad. Unfortunately it’s still too loose for my liking. Going to try adding material to the yellow pads and if that doesn’t work, I’m ordering a new one. I’m surprised they don’t have an adjustment built into the locks like most other covers.

twil72

Reaction score
On my latch, the yellow bumper came off of one......then it shifted around and came off another. Does anyone know the part number or where I can get the yellow bumper to put back over the latch without having to buy an new latch?

Users who are viewing this thread