5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mud

flynfish

Reaction score
Wasn’t intending to off-road but we needed to get back to our elk. The drive up was fine when the ground was frozen in the morning.

On the way back we had to our a chain on front right and chain on back left. Barely made it out and drove sideways for 2 miles. Thankful we made it out without driving off the side of the road somewhere.

5160205c0895c4654b8ff73c09271b13.jpg
f958235c1f4719e0aed5c52d13a9f24e.jpg
b1245d1fc2e7778d6ccf9177a2748496.jpg
2d1f9aa23451591b71eb5da1a55cdc05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Midnight1988

Reaction score
Wasn’t intending to off-road but we needed to get back to our elk. The drive up was fine when the ground was frozen in the morning.

On the way back we had to our a chain on front right and chain on back left. Barely made it out and drove sideways for 2 miles. Thankful we made it out without driving off the side of the road somewhere.

Glad you made it safely, what tires do you have?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Glad to hear.
Curious. Where was this?

flynfish

Reaction score
I have the ORP package and the stock tires that come with it, the all terrain ones. Can’t remember the brand.

This was up in Craig Colorado. I used 4wd low and e lock the whole time. Even with the chains the back end slid everywhere. It would have been better if we had 4 chains.

R

Rob5589

That's some muck! Just fyi, no chains on front, rear only. Did you lock the rear? I found in Idaho this year, unlocked was much better in the mud, not pushing the truck sideways, especially going downhill.

ramhead

Reaction score
I have the ORP package and the stock tires that come with it, the all terrain ones. Can’t remember the brand.

This was up in Craig Colorado. I used 4wd low and e lock the whole time. Even with the chains the back end slid everywhere. It would have been better if we had 4 chains.

If you could have added some weight in the bed/over rear tires the sliding problem would have been a non-issue or severely lessened.

flynfish

Reaction score
We didn’t have chains on at first and couldn’t move or steer at all. Without them on the front I have a hard time believing we could have steered at all.... but that was the first time I’ve ever been in mud like that so I’m not an expert.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like it's time to take it through an automatic car wash!

R

Rob5589

We didn’t have chains on at first and couldn’t move or steer at all. Without them on the front I have a hard time believing we could have steered at all.... but that was the first time I’ve ever been in mud like that so I’m not an expert.

I assume the no chains on the front is due to clearance. Other than that, if they worked, they worked. Mashing the gas if possible will help clear the tread. But with AT tires there isn't much you can do in trash like that.

flynfish

Reaction score
Yea there wasn’t much clearance in the front, I think there was some slight rubbing of the chains.

I took it to a self car wash in town close by, and it took 20 minutes of blasting to get the mud out. I drove away and when I hit 40 mph the truck started bouncing.

I had to go back and clean more mud out for 10 more minutes to finally get it all.

R

Rob5589

Yea there wasn’t much clearance in the front, I think there was some slight rubbing of the chains.

I took it to a self car wash in town close by, and it took 20 minutes of blasting to get the mud out. I drove away and when I hit 40 mph the truck started bouncing.

I had to go back and clean more mud out for 10 more minutes to finally get it all.

I hear ya. Idaho mud is like thick molasses and piles up really thick. Two power washes and I still find dried chunks :oops:

bvigne01

Reaction score
This thread tells me what I already knew, I need new tires before I go hunting. This will be my third ram and they never put good tires on the 4x4’s. Unless you get a power wagon

flynfish

Reaction score
The tires are pretty decent in snow. I think you would need specific mud tires to get through what I went through.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
This thread tells me what I already knew, I need new tires before I go hunting. This will be my third ram and they never put good tires on the 4x4’s. Unless you get a power wagon
To be fair not many manufacturers put on decent tires. The Falken AT3wa that comes with the off-road package are a huge Upgrade over the Goodyear SRA that used to come stock. The Goodyear Duratracs that come on the power wagon that you refer to is a decent tire but still an all-terrain. That is some serious mud and definitely requires a true mud terrain tire. (And not Ridge Grapplers LOL)

Realistically the vast majority of truck owners do not use the trucks off-road. Those that do to get up in to remote areas for hunting need to customize their truck to do the job. If your hunting rifle came with a scope I would almost guarantee the scope that is on it now is completely different. Manufactures are not gonna put mud tires on mass market stock trucks.

Not trying to bash you… Just contributing to the conversation.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebel's have Duratrac's as well... not just the PW. If you're often going on terrain that's muddy, then yes... mud-terrains make sense. As far as what manufacturer's put on their trucks, don't forget the massive pressure from both the EPA and consumers for fuel mileage.

People buy Rebel's with 3.92 gears, 33 inch Duratrac's, and much less aerodynamic front ends but complain about fuel economy. If the truck came from the factory with 35 inch KM3's the EPA numbers would suck (more penalties to FCA which are passed on to consumers), people buying the trucks would complain about getting only 12 mpg, in addition to the "ZOMG the tires are so loud!"

Manufactures have to balance all of these issues, and I think RAM made fair choices with both the Falken's and Duratrac's for the off-road oriented trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread