5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

cnauert

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. Did you say you test drove the 2020's w/similar results?
I test drove a 2020 Limited 4x4 today and it vibrated from 30-60 MPH. I then did the same route on a 2020 4x2 Limited and it didn't vibrate. Kinda bummed now because I was expecting this glass smooth air ride on these trucks. Sales guys were telling me the low profile tires get flat spot do to lack of use or transport....but I'm not sure about that.

Charp

Reaction score
I test drove a 2020 Limited 4x4 today and it vibrated from 30-60 MPH. I then did the same route on a 2020 4x2 Limited and it didn't vibrate. Kinda bummed now because I was expecting this glass smooth air ride on these trucks. Sales guys were telling me the low profile tires get flat spot do to lack of use or transport....but I'm not sure about that.
DON'T BELIEVE THEM!! Same story to me and others on this forum. Don't buy it.

wep1981

Reaction score
So dealer technician called me and said car was ready but after replacing the rim still has a slight vibration but not as much. He said he drove another 2019 ram limited and felt the same thing. I picked up the car and still the same. I have a case opened with FCA. Going to give it one more try and then I give up. Going to start the legal process.

wonder if the 2020s do the same?

Skidowntown

Reaction score
So annoyed by this. I wanted a RAM, as I need the bench seat and want the nice Camera and other options that only RAM offers w/front Bench.

Ford and Chevy make you buy the bucket/captain chairs...seriously lame.

Fitz

Reaction score
I had my tires road forced balanced at a local tire shop and it still vibrates.

Reaction score
Any of you guys in the Pittsburgh area? I mentioned I had been down the balance rout multiple times then took it to another shop for a road force and they found one tire/wheel that was way out so they match mounted it and it is like a new truck. Not all tire shops / tire techs are =... I’d love to see one of you got to Skander tire in Evans city and see if it fixes your too. Mine rides like a dream now.

Evilred73

Reaction score
Got a bighorn purchased new in April. Right away I swapped the wheels to the 20” limited wheels and put on some toyo ht tires. Drove good for a while. But did notice a slight rattle coming from engine on cold starts. Now 12,000 miles later I’m getting a vibration at 1,200 rpm especially when eco light comes on. It’s gotten so bad that it really does feel like I’m driving brail (grooves on side of the road)a bit. I do feel the vibration on the gas pedal and hear it in the cab but only at 1,200rpm.
The rattle at cold starts is very embarrassing when I have buddies with me because it’s a new truck.
I hope they find the problem soon. Going in to the dealer soon for a software recall so I’ll address them and see what they say.

noah

Last edited:

Vinnie6971

Reaction score
So I too have this problem with my 2019 Laramie. Shook when I bought it dealer said tires had been sitting but that was not it. It is at the dealer now for the 11th day. They have balanced the tires, Road force balanced the tires, Changed one tire now replacing all 4 tires. I still have the 30 day tags on the truck and haven't driven it two weeks since I have had it. While in the shop Avis rental car gave me a 2019 ram 4 door basic truck and it rides smoother than my 60 thousand dollar truck. I am hopeful that they get it right but by the looks on here I may be screwed. I am looking into the Lemon Laws in my area and thinking that this may be the only other route. I will keep posted what they find out

wep1981

Reaction score
Went back into dealer today to drop off the truck. Test drove a 2020 bighorn, 5.7 hemi with the technician and had no shake at all. We are going to have engineers come out and see If they can figure anything out.
I would recommend to open a case with FCA and see if they can send out engineer out to the dealer.

Charp

Reaction score
Taking mine back next Monday. Drove it for 4 hours today and am so pissed I purchased this truck. Why in hell did I continue the deal when I felt that vibration during the test drive. Oh yeah, sales and service department said they were 100% positive it was just flat spots. 6500 miles later, nope! This will only be my 2nd service visit (not counting before I signed the papers) since purchase. I will be investigating lemon law for KY and reopen Ram case.

Last edited:

4Fitz

Reaction score
So I too have this problem with my 2019 Laramie. Shook when I bought it dealer said tires had been sitting but that was not it. It is at the dealer now for the 11th day. They have balanced the tires, Road force balanced the tires, Changed one tire now replacing all 4 tires. I still have the 30 day tags on the truck and haven't driven it two weeks since I have had it. While in the shop Avis rental car gave me a 2019 ram 4 door basic truck and it rides smoother than my 60 thousand dollar truck. I am hopeful that they get it right but by the looks on here I may be screwed. I am looking into the Lemon Laws in my area and thinking that this may be the only other route. I will keep posted what they find out
What you described is exactly what I'm going through now. It's been about 4 weeks since I picked up my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited with 22' Goodyear Touring tires. The deal put on three different sets of tires and wheels, road force balance them and performed an unknown number of 'try this' from the FCA Tech and STAR Engineering. I just had to make my 1st payment and the dealer has put over 400 of the 600 miles on the truck in test drives. I contacted FCA Customer Care, who told me 'each dealership is independently owned and operated' and it's up to them to offer a buy-back or trade toward a new NON-VIBRATING truck. So... I went to the dealership, talked to the GM who was 'happy' to help me pick out a new truck. I found one about $3K more than the one I bought, and he wanted $10,300 more from me because my truck was USED and he couldn't sell as a new truck again. Yeah, he wanted me to pay his margin on selling my truck as used with 600 miles on it.....FAIL

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
Industry Facts:
  • Improper centering wheel on balancer: 60%
  • Residual unbalance: 10%
  • Improper wheel weight usage: 7%
  • Drive train vibration: 6%
  • Balancer calibration: 5%
  • Eccentricity problem: 5%
  • Improper lug nut torque: 4%
  • Bent wheel rim: 2%
  • Other: 1%
Included in “Other” is force variation at .05%.

If force variation is the problem .05% of the time then why do people feel that Roadforcing fixes their problem...

Dealerships should try turning Smartweight off on their Roadforce Balancer. They are leaving unbalance in every assembly they attempt to balance, and the crazy thing is they believe they are doing to good job... Link below shows how much residual is left in the assembly when switching between Smartweight and Traditional Balance modes. Doing just this one procedure they are correcting more assemblies than they normally are doing. If they don't mount the wheel on the balancer right then all their readings mean nothing and they are wasting their time. This is exactly why we see shops rebalance over and over and they don't correct anything. People need to stop assuming their tires are balanced.

Last edited:

Fitz

Reaction score
My bighorn’s vibration has been consistent at roughly 21-25 hz from 60-70 mph for the past year. The vibration is still present, though reduced, when coasting in neutral from 70 to 60 mph. See attached recent measurement with iPhone (higher magnitude 62mph and lower magnitude was coasting). I have noticed slight changes with tires rotations over the last year. One tire is slightly out of round according to one tire shop, but they didn’t think it was enough to cause the vibration. As previously posted, just had tire RFB and no change. The tire shop suggested that the dealer check the driveshaft, but two dealers have told me it “rides like a truck” and won’t give the problem a good look. I noticed the weights on the front of drive shaft have substantial air gap facing toward front of truck. Could that create a balance issue? Probably not... Keep looking into wheels and tires, or find a driveline shop?

Attachments

• 08251837-8B79-4444-8B35-29F24D18A1DE.jpeg
    08251837-8B79-4444-8B35-29F24D18A1DE.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 12179CB6-623F-452E-BB37-63ABD25BF9CF.jpeg
    12179CB6-623F-452E-BB37-63ABD25BF9CF.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 740F7CE7-E50D-4562-8DF9-C0318B2FD306.jpeg
    740F7CE7-E50D-4562-8DF9-C0318B2FD306.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 780799D4-21A8-466A-9D4E-FA75A00B3101.jpeg
    780799D4-21A8-466A-9D4E-FA75A00B3101.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 27

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My bighorn’s vibration has been consistent at roughly 21-25 hz from 60-70 mph for the past year. The vibration is still present, though reduced, when coasting in neutral from 70 to 60 mph. See attached recent measurement with iPhone (higher magnitude 62mph and lower magnitude was coasting). I have noticed slight changes with tires rotations over the last year. One tire is slightly out of round according to one tire shop, but they didn’t think it was enough to cause the vibration. As previously posted, just had tire RFB and no change. The tire shop suggested that the dealer check the driveshaft, but two dealers have told me it “rides like a truck” and won’t give the problem a good look. I noticed the weights on the front of drive shaft have substantial air gap facing toward front of truck. Could that create a balance issue? Probably not... Keep looking into wheels and tires, or find a driveline shop?
Drive shaft cannot induce a 21 hz vibration. At 60 mph the tires rotate at approx 10.5 hz making the vibration a second order vibration which means it's not a mass imbalance however there are several things all spinning at the same speed, axle shafts, ring gear, CV shafts.
For 3.21 gears the driveshaft spins at roughly 34 hz and 41 hz for 3.92 gears

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my Rebel back from the dealer for a similar issue. I know I'm on different wheels and tires and different diameters... but the end result was balanced, rotated and another alignment seemed to correct my issue, which was noise and vibration due to feathering on the Duratracs and slightly out of alignment caused the feathering/noise/vibration.

Just wanted to add that incase it helps anyone diagnosing their symptoms.

Rowing88

Reaction score
I an having the same issue, its not the tire balance. anyone figure it out yet? thx

4Fitz

Reaction score
I an having the same issue, its not the tire balance. anyone figure it out yet? thx
My vibration is gone, and so is my original 2019 RAM 1500 Limited! I test drove FIVE new 2019 RAM trucks in different trim levels, with and without air suspension, and all with 22" Goodyear Touring tires/wheels. They all vibrated, some were really bad!!!! I noticed a 2020 RAM Sport on the lot with 20" Bridgestone Duelers and asked to take it for a ride. It was the smooooooooothest riding vehicle I'd ever driven. Since my four-week-old truck had been at the dealer for 17 days, road force balance X 2, three sets of new tires/wheels, escalation to STAR, RAM care, etc. they did not provide a solution. I asked for a new truck. After much pain, I picked up my new 2019 RAM Limited last night with the 20" Bridgestones from the 2020 RM mounted on it and the ride was amazing!!!! They put the 22" junk on the 2020 Sport. After four weeks the vibration nightmare is over for me. The 22" tire and wheel combo was the cause of vibration IMO.

Charp

Reaction score
My vibration is gone, and so is my original 2019 RAM 1500 Limited! I test drove FIVE new 2019 RAM trucks in different trim levels, with and without air suspension, and all with 22" Goodyear Touring tires/wheels. They all vibrated, some were really bad!!!! I noticed a 2020 RAM Sport on the lot with 20" Bridgestone Duelers and asked to take it for a ride. It was the smooooooooothest riding vehicle I'd ever driven. Since my four-week-old truck had been at the dealer for 17 days, road force balance X 2, three sets of new tires/wheels, escalation to STAR, RAM care, etc. they did not provide a solution. I asked for a new truck. After much pain, I picked up my new 2019 RAM Limited last night with the 20" Bridgestones from the 2020 RM mounted on it and the ride was amazing!!!! They put the 22" junk on the 2020 Sport. After four weeks the vibration nightmare is over for me. The 22" tire and wheel combo was the cause of vibration IMO.
So did your new/replacement Ram limited shake with it's original 22's? Then you swapped them out for the Sport 20's and all good now?

Users who are viewing this thread