5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather seats not so leather??

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this just a problem with the indigo? Just conditioned my leather seats in my limited today and they look great. You can see where different hides were used because there's different patterns which I don't mind and just shows it's real. I had an SRT Jeep before and these are way more luxurious

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
i am not a leather expert but here is the information tag that came with my Limited with indigo frost interior. There has been much discussion on this forum regarding the “leather” interiors.
Ya, well...ever seen a saddle do this? My kids rode horses for years and even the 30+ yr old saddles didn't look anything like this!

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 6.18.00 PM.png

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Well.....since we are now on the "western theme", do you own a "horse" in this race? What Ram are you driving and with what interior? What has been your experience with your Ram? Did you purchase your Ram with the "leather" interior?
Tomorrow, I should pick up my 2020 Laramie Longhorn with the Yeeeehawwwww honky tonk leather interior.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Are you sure....after reading about the problems with the "leather" you are going to chance it?
No reported issues I can find with the Longhorn interior. I was going to buy a Limited in Frost, but removed it from consideration for, among other things, the issues with the seats.

I seldom keep them longer than 2 years anyway so....

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same "leather", maybe different color, but all made for FCA by the same vendor.
It’s leather (we’ve been over this), and it seems to be doing very well after 14 months. Time will tell, of course.

eaglemike

Reaction score
Well, the adviser is telling me it's rejected. I'm very very disappointed. I'm going to do what I can to elevate this. It's ridiculous that they don't see this as a problem. When I told him the leather was a problem he said "is it peeling?"
This does not make me feel good regarding FCA!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you saw the peeling in person you'd know it's junk/fake leather.
My dealership pushed hard on FCA to replace my driverside seat cover for the same problem. They took pictures and sent them to FCA. I also contacted Ram Care through this site to get their help. My impression is a lot rests on how hard the dealership pushes. You should not take no for an answer. There are at least two maybe three owners posting on this forum that got them replaced. Good luck with it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you saw the peeling in person you'd know it's junk/fake leather.
From the discussions we’ve seen on this forum over the past 18 months, it seems the Indigo/Frost interior has been the most (or only?) susceptible to quality issues. Perhaps the supplier was trying a new finishing treatment and got it wrong, or there was a bad batch.

Either way, I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problem with the "cowboy orange and black" leather here. I am pretty rough with my seats but I have also been careful with cleaning and conditioning the leather as frequent as I can. It seems like it's always the indigo that pops up on the forum with the problems.

eaglemike

Reaction score
From the discussions we’ve seen on this forum over the past 18 months, it seems the Indigo/Frost interior has been the most (or only?) susceptible to quality issues. Perhaps the supplier was trying a new finishing treatment and got it wrong, or there was a bad batch.

Either way, I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Thanks very much!I had a 2014 Limited that I sold last year. (reason not important here) The leather in that truck was fine. It was nominally black, but really sort of a charcoal. Zero issues. Even got better mpg than my 2019 e-Torque. I sure hope FCA comes through. I've not had many positive experiences with FCA or Ford dealers. I keep hoping, and they keep letting me down.
I agree with duke2001 above that it's highly dependent on how hard the dealer pushes. These guys are lame. Last time I had the truck in for service it took them 45 minutes to get it out of storage - they couldn't find the keys for a vehicle in front of it.

speedracernc

Reaction score
best leather seats I ever had did not have leather on the door side bolster. It was a 2003 Avalanche North Face Edition. They put Gortex on the side bolsters of all the seats top and bottom. My father in law has that truck now and still no rips on the side bolsters.

80097900.jpg

eaglemike

Reaction score
FCA denied my claim. I had a message from Sheila at 6:30 this morning. I called them back after I got to work. They denied and closed the claim without ever speaking with me after I opened the claim. It's not real leather on the seats, and these cases where it separates shows that particular piece of material is flawed. I'm not surprised, but really disappointed. They did cover for some people on here, but not for me - and I even purchased the lifetime warranty with the truck. How could I ever trust they will honor any claim???
We have a Mazda6 with light leather interior. 19K miles, zero issues. My previous Ram, a 2014, had a lot more miles than this, zero issues with the leather.
This is bad faith by FCA. Very disappointing.
I'm going to try to elevate one more time, but I should not have to do that. It should be covered without any agony on my part.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think the white interior seats have some sort of additional treatment/sealer put on to limit staining that will inevitably happen. It is the treatment that is not holding up.

Just a guess on my part.........

eaglemike

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think the white interior seats have some sort of additional treatment/sealer put on to limit staining that will inevitably happen. It is the treatment that is not holding up.

Just a guess on my part.........
Take a look at the pics posted in the thread. The "leather" is coming apart. Also FCA is calling the material "Natura" leather - not NATURAL. They are playing games, and cheaping out on the material. I've had many vehicles with leather seats, this is by far the poorest quality.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I just learned that its called Natura Leather. Fancy word for vinyl I guess. Kind of disappointing.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just learned that its called Natura Leather. Fancy word for vinyl I guess. Kind of disappointing.

Please see earlier post in this thread where I attached tag that came with the seats in my Limited. The manufacturer is GST Auto. Your internet link is incorrect for the product used in the RAM trucks. It's leather, maybe not good leather, but not vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread