5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was going to drive one of these today but...

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Holy crap! I was going to the dealer today to buy one of these, but after reading this thread and others here I have to reconsider. Also looked at 2018 Limited (used) for pricing and resale value...that's scary as well. These things have very poor resale! It's a shame. Looks like a nice truck until you dig in a little. Disappointing.

TimG

Reaction score
I've never had a problem selling my truck when it came time to get a new one. Most times its harder to convince me to get rid of the old one for a new one! If you're getting the truck to serve a purpose, resale value is the least of your concerns. If you're getting it to have a shiny new thing...... Well, that's a whole different therapy session. I do like those platinum fords, though lol! Good luck with your search!

Klute

Reaction score
When you buy a new vehicle you have to justify it over the long haul...(get it?) at least 3 years down the road (get it?). All trucks are discounted deeply, to begin with, so unless you are planning on paying full price I would not worry about resale. Check the resale on trucks with avg mileage that are 3-5 years old, the hold their value pretty good. I traded my 2011 Ram 2WD QC with 120K miles and got $15K trade (on paper) after a 20% sticker reduction.

Toothninja

Reaction score
I would also add that the resale value on a dodge may be lower but the sale price on the dodge is lower as well. In addition, I agree with others that resale value is so far down on my list that it never comes into play. We have several jeeps. Their resale value is one of the highest if not the highest, but they also cost quite a bit considering what your getting. Get what you want, then when it’s time to trade it in, remember you paid several thousand less, if not tens of thousands less than other truck makers... just my two cents...

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Whatever you want to buy, go to these forum and read about it and i'm 100% you will end up won't buy anything.
Exactly. Ehhh, i was thinking about buying food, but I poked around online and I found articles that said that some of it could hurt going in/coming out, could make me sick, or could make me fat. Feels like a bad decision!

Joking of course :D But many of us (by which I mean an online forum - by its nature, its a self-selecting group as one of the main reasons to join is to ask about an issue they may be having) have had either no issues or a very small issue (like me, just the center console squeak) and are very happy with our trucks.

Hell, the whole reason i bought this truck was BECAUSE i tested an F150 and a Tundra and the Ram blew me away.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, see study below (it’s from 2018). The data compiled on this is tough to though since you’re dealing with private sales in many cases and also because dealers may move the “money” on one side of the transaction or another (I.e give you more money for your trade to make you feel better but charge you more for the new vehicle, then you think you got a lot for your trade). So you have to look at a bigger picture over a long enough period of time. What vehicles seem to sell at asking price quickly and not sit in inventory, etc. There’s a lot that goes into the equation. At the end of the day if you flip a vehicle, most vehicles, within the first five years, you will take a beating.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I had my heart set on a F150 Platinum diesel, but not sure I'll go that way either. Bummer for sure.

The Ford Platinum diesel came in a VERY CLOSE SECOND - and I drove that one and the Ram multiple times before I decided on the Ram. And I decided based on feature/option set, the exact color I wanted (for some that is important), overall appearance and quality, ride quality, etc - all the things you look at when you cannot make a snap decision.

No one has discussed that the Fords (all vehicles for that matter) DEPRECIATE INSTANTLY the second you drive them off the lot.

As others have mentioned - NO ONE is paying sticker on the trucks. I got $10K right off the top of $67K (and probably could have negotiated more). So I'm at $57K, and current KBB trade-in is at $46K - which is right w. Not at all unusual - and no more or less than if you ran the numbers with ANY OTHER TRUCK. Nor am I kicking myself right now - because my truck "didn't hold its value".

I paid straight MSRP on my '16 Honda Pilot - I didn't want to wait when the new model came out in '16 - HAD TO HAVE MINE IMMEDIATELY (and got the first one delivered to my dealer - so I bought it SIGHT UNSEEN - no test drives, no tire kicking - NADA). Ran 90K miles in 4 years - and got $15K on the trade. Not upset that my $45K SUV lost $30K in value in 4 years/90K miles - in fact, I got a couple of thou more than I expected in at trade-in.

What it comes down to psychologically is - GET WHAT TURNS YOU ON. I bought mine as an alternative to an SUV - because nothing I drove turned me on. Especially for the HIGHER STICKER for Chevy/GMC/Ford full sized SUV's that were nowhere near as well equipped, spacious or COMFORTABLE as the Ram (and the 12" display doesn't hurt either).

Once I moved away from Honda (after 12 years of driving hondas), my only "perceived brand loyalty", was to Chevy/GM (Tahoe/2500 Suburban/Corvette - prior to the Hondas) - so I had to make an "emotional decision" to move away from GM products.

Anyways - point being - if you like the ford more - BUY THE FORD. If you're worried about "not holding it's value" NONE OF THEM are made of gold. They all depreciate similarly. And for a "new model", ONLY TIME WILL TELL how well they hold their value in years to come.

Sorry - that was kind of long-winded...

Rick

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whatever you want to buy, go to these forum and read about it and i'm 100% you will end up won't buy anything.
:ROFLMAO: Ain't that the truth! If you read the internet long enough you'll find out that your truck sucks, your woman is cheating on you, your dog is the wrong breed, your favorite food gives you stomach cancer and the politicians you hate are secret devil-worshipping child killers bent on world domination :p

Original poster: luckily, virtually every vehicle is worth $0 at the end of its life, so that should cover you on resale. If you are trading in every couple of years, you're almost guaranteed to be making a stupid financial decision (note I said "financial", as there are other considerations in life) so the trade-in value shouldn't worry you as much as the dumb financial decision.

Downytide

Reaction score
I would also add that the resale value on a dodge may be lower but the sale price on the dodge is lower as well. In addition, I agree with others that resale value is so far down on my list that it never comes into play. We have several jeeps. Their resale value is one of the highest if not the highest, but they also cost quite a bit considering what your getting. Get what you want, then when it’s time to trade it in, remember you paid several thousand less, if not tens of thousands less than other truck makers... just my two cents...

I don't know what GM is thinking with their pricing, similar option Sierra AT4/Silverado Trailboss is almost $10k more (Canadian) compare to the Rebel, with worse interior, and 5.3L engine, all this was after they had applied all the discount too! I really think they price the new GM trucks into silly price brackets.

OP, it took me almost 6 months to decide which truck to buy , I test drove all the mid size and full size out there, took my time to calculate what's what, at the end, Ram is the most easy truck to live with day to day, you want absolute reliability and resale, get a Tundra, but also get ready for serious lousy seats, 12mpg, Tacoma is fine too but the rear seats is smaller than most compact cars.

but do test drive them all.

cra1g

Reaction score
Also looked at 2018 Limited (used) for pricing and resale value...that's scary as well. These things have very poor resale! It's a shame. Looks like a nice truck until you dig in a little. Disappointing.

That's funny for two reasons. First, you can't compare MSRP with used prices to get depreciation, when nobody's paying MSRP in the first place. There are all kinds of reports here of people paying $50k for a $65k MSRP truck. If that truck is only worth $45k in a year or two, that's $5k depreciation, not $20k. Second, 2018 trucks automatically take a big hit in depreciation simply because they are no longer the current generation. That doesn't apply to 5th gen models, until there's a 6th gen.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Guys, the OP is a troll plain and simple. Listen to the way it's worded. Stop responding and let this die. No one makes an account on a forum just to list negative aspects of the vehicle that they aren't planning to buy anyway. This is someone at Ford trying to get yet another long thread going about how much our trucks suck

Raydar

Reaction score
I don't know what GM is thinking with their pricing, similar option Sierra AT4/Silverado Trailboss is almost $10k more (Canadian) compare to the Rebel, with worse interior, and 5.3L engine, all this was after they had applied all the discount too! I really think they price the new GM trucks into silly price brackets.

I didn't even go to look at the GMC / Chevy up close. Even at a distance, I think they're fugly. And the magazines hated them. (2018s were a consideration, but they were all gone, by the time I was ready to buy.) Fords are... well, Fords.
I love my Ram.

Downytide

Reaction score
I didn't even go to look at the GMC / Chevy up close. Even at a distance, I think they're fugly. And the magazines hated them. (2018s were a consideration, but they were all gone, by the time I was ready to buy.) Fords are... well, Fords.
I love my Ram.

It's very in your face that's for sure, I liked the way Trail Boss looked in red so I went to drive both versions and came away disappointed, for same price that I paid for the Rebel, I would have to settle for a Custom Trail Boss, no LED headlights and just very basic overall, the interior was ok, but looks unfinished, they use same Duractrac for tires, except smaller, but the tire noise was so much louder than the Rebel, I would have to raise my voice during normal driving just so my wife can hear me during the drive, the 2018s were truly better than the new body, report keep saying GM sell more higher trims than lower ones, well yea, because they make the lower trims so horrible that you go for the higher trims if you must stick with GM.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The main point is that unless you are loaded with too much Ca$h, buying one of these levels of Trucks is for a longer time frame than 2 years. Do your research and homework and be happy with the truck for at least 5 years. If you own it for 7 or 9 or 15 years, you will get everything back out of what you put into it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys, the OP is a troll plain and simple. Listen to the way it's worded. Stop responding and let this die. No one makes an account on a forum just to list negative aspects of the vehicle that they aren't planning to buy anyway. This is someone at Ford trying to get yet another long thread going about how much our trucks suck
I think you're right. I looked at his 4 posts, and all of them are pretty much the same post just in different parts of the forum. You know what new posters need? A grading system, that if they get more than so many "troll" votes they get booted :)

Users who are viewing this thread