5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a used 19 Laramie, thoughts and a few concerns?

arctyler

Reaction score
I'm looking to come over to the Ram side after being a long time chevy owner, especially with the new redesigned 19's, however, I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. I got my eye set on a 19 Laramie fully loaded, air ride, advanced safety group, hard tonneau cover, appearance package, level 2 laramie, etorque, panoramic sunroof, yada yada yada. My primary concern is resale value, I don't want to lose my rear on buying such a new truck. Sticker on the truck was 65k, it has 11k miles on it and I'm down to 44k on it, private owner. What is the depreciation looking like on these trucks so far and is that a good deal on a used truck from a private owner in excellent shape? Also my second concern is I live in the north east where it gets pretty far below zero degrees out, I've heard of some issues with the air ride in these trucks and I was curious how common such an issue is? I don't have a heated garage so I am worried I'm going to have issues in the winter time a lot, however I thought I'd check on here to see what you guys thought.

Attachments

• IMG_2135.jpg
    IMG_2135.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2138.jpg
    IMG_2138.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 91

79 300

Reaction score
I see it has the infamous tow mirrors. You lose features like power fold , heated glass and cameras depending on the model. Check some of the threads on here about the tow mirror issues before you buy. My dealer still has a bunch of new 2019's with tow mirrors that were on the lot a year ago when I ordered mine.

I am not familiar with the air suspension on these trucks in particular, but my wife has a Grand Cherokee with it for six years now and it works perfectly all year. We also live in the north east (PA). $44k sounds ok, and generally speaking trucks are holding their value better than other vehicles as of late. You might be able to get a great deal on a new 2019 leftover at this point as well.

arctyler

Reaction score
I see it has the infamous tow mirrors. You lose features like power fold , heated glass and cameras depending on the model. Check some of the threads on here about the tow mirror issues before you buy. My dealer still has a bunch of new 2019's with tow mirrors that were on the lot a year ago when I ordered mine.

I am not familiar with the air suspension on these trucks in particular, but my wife has a Grand Cherokee with it for six years now and it works perfectly all year. We also live in the north east (PA). $44k sounds ok, and generally speaking trucks are holding their value better than other vehicles as of late. You might be able to get a great deal on a new 2019 leftover at this point as well.
I knew a little bit about the power mirrors and losing some features, mainly the 360 camera I'd hate to lose but its tough because every other one I have found new or slightly used seems to go for way too high of a price and aren't optioned out the way I want them to be.

Tipsterpfd

Reaction score
I would look at a 2019 left over
I'm looking to come over to the Ram side after being a long time chevy owner, especially with the new redesigned 19's, however, I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. I got my eye set on a 19 Laramie fully loaded, air ride, advanced safety group, hard tonneau cover, appearance package, level 2 laramie, etorque, panoramic sunroof, yada yada yada. My primary concern is resale value, I don't want to lose my rear on buying such a new truck. Sticker on the truck was 65k, it has 11k miles on it and I'm down to 44k on it, private owner. What is the depreciation looking like on these trucks so far and is that a good deal on a used truck from a private owner in excellent shape? Also my second concern is I live in the north east where it gets pretty far below zero degrees out, I've heard of some issues with the air ride in these trucks and I was curious how common such an issue is? I don't have a heated garage so I am worried I'm going to have issues in the winter time a lot, however I thought I'd check on here to see what you guys thought.
I would look at a 2019 left over, price might not be much more and you need to figure in interest rate new vs used. If you are paying cash all bets are off.

Barqs

Reaction score
Looks pretty identical to this one! Except the non tow mirrors and your has a e-locker. What would you say the going rate would be private party?

I'd say $44k is definitely in the ballpark for private party on a $60k Laramie loaded w/options. I ran the numbers on mine the other day and was depressed at the first year depreciation. I usually keep my trucks 8-10 years, so I hadn't really paid attention to it before. The first owner is taking it on the chin for the one year flip, which leads me to ask why. Perhaps he is having several of the same issues as many on this forum have been discussing with early build trucks (brakes, shifting, A/C, etc)? Ask him for his service history, or take it to the local dealer and have them run a report on the VIN.

arctyler

Reaction score
I would look at a 2019 left over

I would look at a 2019 left over, price might not be much more and you need to figure in interest rate new vs used. If you are paying cash all bets are off.

I tried finding one with similar options and I cant find anything, thats the only issue. It seems like if it was optioned out the same the price would still be around 53-54k by the looks of it.
I'd say $44k is definitely in the ballpark for private party on a $60k Laramie loaded w/options. I ran the numbers on mine the other day and was depressed at the first year depreciation. I usually keep my trucks 8-10 years, so I hadn't really paid attention to it before. The first owner is taking it on the chin for the one year flip, which leads me to ask why. Perhaps he is having several of the same issues as many on this forum have been discussing with early build trucks (brakes, shifting, A/C, etc)? Ask him for his service history, or take it to the local dealer and have them run a report on the VIN.

He said he is looking to put the money down on a property he's been looking at. He has the truck paid off in full already so he is going to have a pretty good down payment on whatever he is buying.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Call RAM with vin number and ask about repair history. If a lot of trips to dealer they should tell you. Maybe thats why the guy is dumping it. With a warranty I doubt he's paying fro repairs privately.

ddharris

Reaction score
Check that everything works. See if he will let you do some interstate driving and make sure no strange noises( rear end whine and ANC drone). Check for any strange smells inside and explicitly ask if he has had any leaks.

Cortesio

Reaction score
I was in a similar position as you. I traded my 16 Silverado towards a new Ram in no small part because the new GM redesign is pretty awful. A month in and I have no regrets, you’re definitely looking in the right direction with a new truck.

I wanted a pretty well equipped Laramie myself and it took a pretty long search to have a dealer locate exactly what I wanted. Since I wanted the Advanced Safety Group, anything with the tow package was a dealbreaker for me. Getting the ASG adds a big chunk to the cost of the truck and you turn around and pay more for tow mirrors that take away features like the surround camera.

From a dealer, you’d probably pay a little north of $50k for that truck, but with the upside of having the whole warranty instead of only 2/3 of it. Plus a lot of early production issues seem to have improved further into the model year.

Another option I was told about here after I bought my truck was getting a tread lightly membership and ordering a new truck from the dealer for below invoice plus rebates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndreiV

Reaction score
I got a year ago a brand new 2019 bone stock Laramie + 20" wheels MSRP 51K for 40,750 and today Carfax shows 37,800 trade-in value. I am very happy with my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread