5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks like I have a leak...

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Just saw spots on my driveway this evening when I got home from work.

I crawled under the truck to see if I could find any wet spots and sure enough there is evidence of something leaking and running off of one of the skid plates.

I'm a little too old to crawl the entire way under to get a better look.

Does anybody have any guesses or ideas as to what this could possibly be? It looks clear to me with no tint.

20191114_174825.jpg

The_Chemist

Reaction score
The truck only has about 3,400 miles on it. I had the dealer change engine oil at around 2,200 miles. So the light color would make sense if the leak is indeed engine oil.

I would guess that transfer case oil or front differential oil would be darker.

I would have never known if there were not spots on my driveway where I park the truck.

I don't know where the oil filter is on this engine, but the wet skid plate is in the driver side up front.

Autoplay

Reaction score
You check oil level via dipstick? Lots of things it could be,but as you stated dealer changed oil X miles ago....I would investigate that avenue of trub shooting. Could be as simple and as messy as excess oil spilled upon removal,and the wrencher didn’t bother to clean up excess spillage.

Oil drain plug loose,oil filter loose,etc etc....if it’s motor oil.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
You check oil level via dipstick? Lots of things it could be,but as you stated dealer changed oil X miles ago....I would investigate that avenue of trub shooting. Could be as simple and as messy as excess oil spilled upon removal,and the wrencher didn’t bother to clean up excess spillage.

Oil drain plug loose,oil filter loose,etc etc....if it’s motor oil.
Yeah, have to do some investigating. Oil was changed back in June so drips should be gone by now if any was spilled. Possibly drain plug is coming loose. Just noticed drips tonight. I'm hoping not an engine problem.

This truck is a real lemon. The dealer has over $15,000 in parts into it repairing factory defects.

It depreciated so much that I can't afford to unload it now.

FCA gave me an extended warranty, but wouldn't buy it back. I'm so sick of taking it to the dealer.

Really hope this is just something simple this time.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The truck only has about 3,400 miles on it. I had the dealer change engine oil at around 2,200 miles. So the light color would make sense if the leak is indeed engine oil.

I would guess that transfer case oil or front differential oil would be darker.

I would have never known if there were not spots on my driveway where I park the truck.

I don't know where the oil filter is on this engine, but the wet skid plate is in the driver side up front.

Hi The_Chemist,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you are in need of any support while addressing this with your dealer, please let us know via PM.

Mark
RamCares

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you Mark. So far, no issues with the dealer in all the repairs this truck has undergone.

Thank you very much for following up, I'm glad to hear this. We are more than happy to hop in if needed, do not hesitate to reach out via PM!

Mark
RamCares

The_Chemist

Reaction score
So I made an appointment at the dealer to have this oil leak checked out. They are taking the truck in on the 26th.

In the meantime, I checked the engine oil which is full and dirty. It's not the same color as the oil that I'm seeing dripping off of the skid plate.

What else is in this area that could leak a very thin clear oil? The truck has 4 corner sir suspension. Is there any type of hydraulic fluid used in that system?

Transfer case oil, I would think is much thicker and probably has a color to it. Front differential fluid would be very thick.

I'm at a loss as to what this could be.

20191114_174825.jpg

J4U

Reaction score
You can get up at look over the top of that plate with a mirror or phone camera to see where it originates.

All I see from that pic is where it's leaking through the seep holes in the pan.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
That's all I can see at the moment as well. I tried using an endoscope, but I couldn't get it oriented well so that the image would display on my phone screen.

I wish I could find an undercarriage photo or diagram of the truck so I could see what all is oil bearing in that area.

Of course, hopefully dealer will figure it out.

Reactions: J4U

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's all I can see at the moment as well. I tried using an endoscope, but I couldn't get it oriented well so that the image would display on my phone screen.

I wish I could find an undercarriage photo or diagram of the truck so I could see what all is oil bearing in that area.

Of course, hopefully dealer will figure it out.

There is no oil in the air suspension. I know these have electric PS but there might be oil in the mechanism? That would be clear and in that spot.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just have to ask, what issues have you had with your truck that required $15000 to repair under warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread