5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

truck will not go faster than 35 mph

jthorn75

Reaction score
anyone had an issue where the truck would not go faster than 35? this has happened twice now. This time the tires were on low pressure( 32 psi instead of 36) but i dont think thats the issue, than randomly the truck will give back full power and go back to working at over 35 mph.... any ideas what can cause this?

jthorn75

Reaction score
it doesnt seem to be giving any other warnings other than psi, which seems odd

jthorn75

Reaction score
this happened when the wife was driving it, i just wanted to see if anyone else was having similar problems

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Highly likely your wife accidentally clicked on the gear limit button on the lower right side of the steering wheel. Easy to do, if she was stopped in 1st gear, and clicked on the the minus (-) symbol on the steering wheel, it would lock her in 1st gear. The trucks rev's would climp and not shift, likely why was couldn't go over 35 mph.

To fix that, you press the plus (+) button and raise the gear up, if you press it past 8th gear it will turn the feature off. Also, turning the truck off and on or switching the gear selector out of drive (i.e. to park or reverse) will also turn off the feature.

Next time, get you you truck, when you turn it on, press the minus button on the selector, it will go to your current gear, so in park it will go to 1st gear. You will see what gear its limited to (1-8) on the dash to the right of the DPNR indicators on the guages. Play with it a bit so you see how they work.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I was gonna say probably cause I was driving... :whistle: so were the 50 others behind me...

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Bet that while it wouldn't go over 35 mph the rpms were super high...

As indicated above, she was in 2nd or 3rd and accidentally hit the gear limiter.

RamCares

Reaction score
anyone had an issue where the truck would not go faster than 35? this has happened twice now. This time the tires were on low pressure( 32 psi instead of 36) but i dont think thats the issue, than randomly the truck will give back full power and go back to working at over 35 mph.... any ideas what can cause this?

Hello jthorn75,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. We suggest having your dealer inspect this concern if you have not done so already. Please keep us updated and know we are available through private message if additional assistance is needed.
Laura
RamCares

jthorn75

Reaction score
Hello jthorn75,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. We suggest having your dealer inspect this concern if you have not done so already. Please keep us updated and know we are available through private message if additional assistance is needed.
Laura
RamCares
i appreciate it, i am waiting until it happens to me to gain
Bet that while it wouldn't go over 35 mph the rpms were super high...

As indicated above, she was in 2nd or 3rd and accidentally hit the gear limiter.
this is probably true, i will continue to monitor, but i just wanted to throw a line out and see what everyone thought. if it happens again i will share

Bambam

Reaction score
Yes, I was driving 12mph and the truck ran up to 3000 rpms. I push it to a whopping 20 and it hopped to 5500-6000. Dealer said there was no codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes, I was driving 12mph and the truck ran up to 3000 rpms. I push it to a whopping 20 and it hopped to 5500-6000. Dealer said there was no codes.

You pressed the negative (-) button on your steering wheel locking you to a lower gear, guaranteed.

Bambam

Reaction score
Could have, that never crossed my mind. I went back and watched the video thinking I hit the 4 wheel low. Thanks

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Could have, that never crossed my mind. I went back and watched the video thinking I hit the 4 wheel low. Thanks

I did the same thing too, along with a lot of folks before we realized what it was. I wish RAM took the effort to explain to new buyers.

However, a lot of people who run into this still don't know why because they either stopped and turned off/on the truck or stopped and shifted it out of drive and into park. Either would turn off the feature and the truck would drive normally. At this point, they aren't sure why it did it.

Users who are viewing this thread