5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Ram is SO MUCH more enjoyable to drive now!

TWRam

Reaction score
When I first got my Ram, I had read many posts about poor MPG and I was worried that I, too, might suffer from the same. I set my instrument panel up to show ECO mode, Instant MPG, and AVG MPG. While driving, I found myself always looking down at the stats and doing everything I could to keep them up. Anytime I would have fun and let the Hemi sing, I would look down and see the big hit to my MPG and feel bad. Sitting in stop and go traffic and watching my MPGs plummet while sitting still was frustrating. I tried to get the truck to run in ECO mode as much as possible. With all of this focus on MPG, I was rewarded with some good MPG numbers, but after a few thousand miles I realized that I wasn't really enjoying just driving the truck. I have always considered myself a "driver" and a performance enthusiast, coming to the Ram from a world filled with heavily modified, high performance street cars, bikes, trucks, boats, etc.... After realizing that I wasn't enjoying driving my Ram and that I already had a good feel for what the economy is given how I am driving and when/how the ECO mode turns on/off, I took everything MPG related, including ECO, off my main instrument cluster display. I have had it off for a few weeks now and only calculate MPG at the pump. I must say that I am having much more fun with my truck. I give it more throttle to hear that exhaust note through the flowmaster muffler, I flick it through the turns and make the tail step out a bit from time to time for the fun of it and there is no instant repercussion....only a smile on my face. I find myself more relaxed, focusing on enjoying the drive and the truck, looking around, listening to the great stereo, etc, instead of looking down at the MPG read out every 30 seconds or less. I must say my MPG has dropped a bit, but I don't care! I'm enjoying the truck so much more. Anyway, just thought I'd share my observation. It might help some others enhance their driving experience with these great machines.

Now if we could just get rid of that damn throttle delay! :mad:

bonebro

Reaction score
I used to do the same exact thing! Idk why. Probly the same reason why I am always listening for wind noise instead of cranking the sweet stereo. I gotta change those habits; they may lead to insanity! Lol

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess it might depend on where you live but I don’t give a damn about MPG. I drive and when I need gas I go get it, kinda like when I’m hungry I go eat. I may have to look into the pedal commander now.

RAMLAMB

Reaction score
I’m going to take this advice & start enjoying my truck a lot moreThanks So Much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdager

Reaction score
Interesting, I have owned a lot of vehicles: classic car, hi-perf car, motorcycles, boat, plane. I find I am most happy chilling in my truck, playing the MPG game. I find that traffic bothers me less, I am less stressed about cops looking for a speeder, and my no longer provides "feedback" on my driving. :ROFLMAO:

If I wanted something loud and fast I would not have chosen a truck. :unsure:

WW2

Reaction score
My wife and I both do the MPG game...its just something to do for entertainment...She has actually had her average on her 2 door 2019 JL Wrangler Sport to 28 MPG (indicated)...I cant keep my RAM above 20 MPG to save my life..like I said, just something to do, means nothing....

rrbhokies

Reaction score
When I first got my Ram, I had read many posts about poor MPG and I was worried that I, too, might suffer from the same. I set my instrument panel up to show ECO mode, Instant MPG, and AVG MPG. While driving, I found myself always looking down at the stats and doing everything I could to keep them up. Anytime I would have fun and let the Hemi sing, I would look down and see the big hit to my MPG and feel bad. Sitting in stop and go traffic and watching my MPGs plummet while sitting still was frustrating. I tried to get the truck to run in ECO mode as much as possible. With all of this focus on MPG, I was rewarded with some good MPG numbers, but after a few thousand miles I realized that I wasn't really enjoying just driving the truck. I have always considered myself a "driver" and a performance enthusiast, coming to the Ram from a world filled with heavily modified, high performance street cars, bikes, trucks, boats, etc.... After realizing that I wasn't enjoying driving my Ram and that I already had a good feel for what the economy is given how I am driving and when/how the ECO mode turns on/off, I took everything MPG related, including ECO, off my main instrument cluster display. I have had it off for a few weeks now and only calculate MPG at the pump. I must say that I am having much more fun with my truck. I give it more throttle to hear that exhaust note through the flowmaster muffler, I flick it through the turns and make the tail step out a bit from time to time for the fun of it and there is no instant repercussion....only a smile on my face. I find myself more relaxed, focusing on enjoying the drive and the truck, looking around, listening to the great stereo, etc, instead of looking down at the MPG read out every 30 seconds or less. I must say my MPG has dropped a bit, but I don't care! I'm enjoying the truck so much more. Anyway, just thought I'd share my observation. It might help some others enhance their driving experience with these great machines.

I've settled on sub 12mpg and got a Pedal Commander and upgraded my exhaust, and it's all good. Ummm..... well.....except.....that......damn........vibration......arghhh............

cwolawrence

Reaction score

I hear ya. One of the first things I do every time I get in my RAM is disable cylinder deactivation/ECO by shifting down the transmission into manual mode. I like all 8 cylinders running all the time. I let it do its ECO mode every once in while to keep things working properly.

Bschucher

Reaction score
I figure if I spent this much on a Rebel... F the gas mileage. Drive and enjoy. .. Now only if my truck wasn't floating all over the road at higher speeds. Never had to be so aware of wheel in my life.

R

Rob5589

Initially I had the fuel economy screen up but like you, was constantly watching it. Now it is off to the side, small, and can barely see it without my glasses. Much more "relaxed" driving now. Funny thing is, I don't get any worse mpg not watching vs watching.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great post. I sometimes do the same as I spend to much time trying to get a few 10ths of an mpg more. Better off not worrying about it and just drive and enjoy it.

TX_Phil

Reaction score
I agree, great post. I've only had this ram for about 2 months and I found myself obsessing over seeing that green eco light pop on. I've even been able to see that the road surface (concrete vs asphalt) can make a difference. But you know, I bought the hemi to enjoy not to be obsessed with mpg. If I wanted to go there I can always break out the old motorcycle and get 40+ mpg and make a ton of noise doing it. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy this thing and let her run !

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure. It will change your life. I have it set in the middle setting. I might try the last/firmest setting but I am very very happy. Makes a HUGE difference IMO. I’m shocked because I didn’t think it would. I was wrong. Completely tightened up handling and turning.

Hellwig 7709 Rear Adjustable Sway Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I5950O/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_X8Ph4HpcPKoVI

Users who are viewing this thread