5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 Engine Oil Change, 2,950k, Added Fumoto Valve

cwolawrence

Reaction score
I always put Fumoto valves on all my vehicles at first oil change. I really enjoy doing my own oil changes. I do like to keep it neat and easy. Heard about these RAM's with 5.7 being a bugger. Had no issue with draining oil. Did have a little trouble with filter, it got a little twisted during removal. Used a gallon size ziplock bag to catch oil from filter. I don't believe I got a single drop on ground. Filter not in good location on the 5.7 20191104_084535.jpg 20191104_084512.jpg 20191104_084500.jpg 20191104_091042.jpg . I usually change oil somewhere between 4k-6k miles with full synthetic. I think I am going to start changing oil filter every other oil change on this RAM. I have never done that before, heard about it years ago.

cwolawrence

Reaction score
F106S: Short Nipple Valve with 14mm-1.5 Threads with Lever Clip1$28.95
Hose Kit for S, SX and BSX-type Valves with 3/8" Short Nipples1$5.00

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
F106S: Short Nipple Valve with 14mm-1.5 Threads with Lever Clip1$28.95
Hose Kit for S, SX and BSX-type Valves with 3/8" Short Nipples1$5.00

I ordered the new generation F106SX from Amazon. Will see how this works out this weekend.

WW2

Reaction score
Love the Valve.... off topic question..... How bad was it to get the factory installed filter off ??? I have heard horror stories... will I need a special tool ???

cwolawrence

Reaction score
Love the Valve.... off topic question..... How bad was it to get the factory installed filter off ??? I have heard horror stories... will I need a special tool ???
I have an adjustable angle, small oil filter wrench. I think the filter shell is thin. It started to collapse and twist. I was starting to get worried. Once I saw it turn just a little, figured I was good. Then when I thought all the oil that was gonna come out was in the ziplock bag, nope. It seemed like another filter amount came out when I removed the filter. That is the oil that runs all over the steering component. But my goal was not to get it on my new garage floor. If I don't let ANYONE ever touch my truck again I should be ok. I usually hand tighten then turn with oil filter about an inch. I have a filter come off once.

Reaction score
Have used these valves for years on everything from a motorhome to the little ladies Prius. . Wouldn't be without one on any vehicle I do an oil change on. Did many oil changes in a WalMart parking lot while traveling. Less than 20 minutes to do the oil and filter. Great device.

cwolawrence

Reaction score
Watch "Purolator Classic - Purolator One - Purolator Boss Oil Filter Review" on YouTube

Not trying to push Purolator filters, everyone has their preferences. I have never bought one of these before. But at 7:40 on this video you can see how strong the shell is. The mopar filter I took off was like a beer can. I think the guts in this one will be ok also.

cwolawrence

Reaction score
Watch "Purolator Classic - Purolator One - Purolator Boss Oil Filter Review" on YouTube

Not trying to push Purolator filters, everyone has their preferences. I have never bought one of these before. But at 7:40 on this video you can see how strong the shell is. The mopar filter I took off was like a beer can. I think the guts in this one will be ok also.
This was the filter after removal.
20191106_185849.jpg

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Got my first oil change done this weekend. Swapped over to a full synthetic oil and installed the Fumoto valve. Seems like it will do the trick. However, that oil filter is a nightmare. Someone at FCA should be shot for this. This is my first FCA vehicle that I have ever owned and this is a **** poor place to put the filter. I will work on devising a diverter that can be bolted into place. Once I get a design that works, I will look into someone doing a 3D printer version. If I can sell those I will be a millionaire!! Then I will never have to work another day.

cwolawrence

Reaction score
Got my first oil change done this weekend. Swapped over to a full synthetic oil and installed the Fumoto valve. Seems like it will do the trick. However, that oil filter is a nightmare. Someone at FCA should be shot for this. This is my first FCA vehicle that I have ever owned and this is a **** poor place to put the filter. I will work on devising a diverter that can be bolted into place. Once I get a design that works, I will look into someone doing a 3D printer version. If I can sell those I will be a millionaire!! Then I will never have to work another day.
Nice. Speaking of 3D, I installed 3D air suspension links last night. Got the front end up where I want it now. Would like to get the back down a little to completely level. Not sure I want it $90 worth.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
That valve looks really close to the sway bar. If the engine moves too much it's going to be bad news for you, your oil pan, and your drain plug.

dsn112

Reaction score
That valve looks really close to the sway bar. If the engine moves too much it's going to be bad news for you, your oil pan, and your drain plug.

I think its the way the picture is taken. It isn't as close as it looks.

cory1223oh

Reaction score
I ordered the new generation F106SX from Amazon. Will see how this works out this weekend.
How did the F106SX work out for you? Was the clearance ok? Trying to decide which Fumoto model to install.

raven_DT

Reaction score
What a mess. I changed oil yesterday, even with a freezer bag it's a mess. May go the Fumoto route but the oil filter location is a headache.

Tangent story: I took the truck to my local dealership on Friday am for a tire rotation/balance and alignment (had Mopar coupons). The SA adviser mentioned that the could do also do an oil change (he saw an oil change coupon in my hand). I declined and mentioned that I send my oil off for analysis (and I don't trust anyone else working on my truck). Well after about 15 mins I decide to go have a looksee: hood up on the rack. I ask the SA why my hood was up and he said that the tech was changing the oil. I quickly told him that I was wasnt there for an oil change. Too late the tech had drained the oil before the SA got to him. No worries, they re-tightened the oil filter and refilled with oil... Yep new oil, old filter. So I wasnt worried too much knowing that I was going to change my oil on Saturday anyway. Decided that I need to check my oil level to make sure that they didnt overfill it...they overfilled it to the bend in the dipstick (since they didnt replace the oil filter). Took it back inside to the SA and a tech checked it...'its okay its just a little overfilled'. To boot, I think that the tech tightened the drain plug with a breaker bar. This wasn't the first time I've had an issue with these guys. I will have to find another dealer to perform warranty work.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
What a mess. I changed oil yesterday, even with a freezer bag it's a mess. May go the Fumoto route but the oil filter location is a headache.

Tangent story: I took the truck to my local dealership on Friday am for a tire rotation/balance and alignment (had Mopar coupons). The SA adviser mentioned that the could do also do an oil change (he saw an oil change coupon in my hand). I declined and mentioned that I send my oil off for analysis (and I don't trust anyone else working on my truck). Well after about 15 mins I decide to go have a looksee: hood up on the rack. I ask the SA why my hood was up and he said that the tech was changing the oil. I quickly told him that I was wasnt there for an oil change. Too late the tech had drained the oil before the SA got to him. No worries, they re-tightened the oil filter and refilled with oil... Yep new oil, old filter. So I wasnt worried too much knowing that I was going to change my oil on Saturday anyway. Decided that I need to check my oil level to make sure that they didnt overfill it...they overfilled it to the bend in the dipstick (since they didnt replace the oil filter). Took it back inside to the SA and a tech checked it...'its okay its just a little overfilled'. To boot, I think that the tech tightened the drain plug with a breaker bar. This wasn't the first time I've had an issue with these guys. I will have to find another dealer to perform warranty work.
I have an oil filter relocation kit that I will install during my next oil change. When I get it done, I will take pictures and supply part numbers. Hopefully it will work out better.

Users who are viewing this thread