5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a possible trade for a PW, resale value on Rebel not good.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Sticker for my truck was $60,245. Dealer offered me $40K to trade my Rebel 12A for a Power Wagon quoted at about $12K off. Went to Carmax, they offered me the same $40K for my truck. That fire sale Ram had in June just annihilated resale value. Basically it would cost me $14,600 out of pocket to get into a $67K PW. Guess I need to appreciate what I have lol.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh dang, well the good part is that you have a vehicle that you really like. :)

RangerZ

Reaction score
Did you buy in June? Seems like no one pays sticker so the msrp doesnt mean much. Dealer wants to make 4-5k on your trade and you probably paid 50 or less lol

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Did you buy in June? Seems like no one pays sticker so the msrp doesnt mean much. Dealer wants to make 4-5k on your trade and you probably paid 50 or less lol

I did and got a fat check from the dealer in trade with my old Raptor. Haven't looked back, much lol.

Oh dang, well the good part is that you have a vehicle that you really like. :)

I do really like my Rebel. I haven't had any problems with it other than a glitch or two with the 12" screen. As a primary DD it is much better than a Power Wagon. But the PW is bad *** :LOL:. If they had the same PW they have now last June when I test drove both the Rebel and the PW back to back I very well may have ended up with the PW back then. But then they didn't have the incentives on the PW that they did with the 1500's back in June. Now they do.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What do you pay for your Rebel? With incentives in June, I paid $39,000 on a MSRP of $55,000. On full size trucks, you can't count MSRP on resale, you need to compare it to you incentive price.

I see a few 2019 Rebels still on dealer lots, brand new going for less than $40,000. You need a couple of years at least for resale to settle out, selling in less than a year isn't going to be good on any vehicle. Even the RAM, which is top 10 in resale.

Last edited:

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
What do you pay for your Rebel? With incentives in June, I paid $39,000 on a MSRP of $55,000. On full size trucks, you can't count MSRP on resale, you need to compare it to you incentive price.

I see a few 2019 Rebels still on dealer lots, brand new going for less than $40,000. You need a couple of years at least for resale to settle out, selling in less than a year isn't going to be good on any vehicle. Even the RAM, which is top 10 in resale.

I get it. I've been playing this game for a long time. The sticker on my truck was $60,245. I paid well under $50K and they threw in a Line-X.

RangerZ

Reaction score
I get it. I've been playing this game for a long time. The sticker on my truck was $60,245. I paid well under $50K and they threw in a Line-X.
Sooooo you’re at almost even money!!!!! I think I see a PW in your future!! ;)

R

Rob5589

Paying "well under 50k" and being offered 40k sounds pretty damn good, IMO. Forget msrp, that number means nothing to a dealer at trade in.

v_eight

Reaction score
Residual value on a Rebel is 48%. Unfortunately these trucks aren't known to hold their value.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Residual value on a Rebel is 48%. Unfortunately these trucks aren't known to hold their value.

Actually they are classified in top 10 in vehicle resale based on model for the last few years. The only trucks with better resales is the Tacoma, Tundra, Silverado/Sierra.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Sure, just your title makes it sound like Rebel has unusually low resale which based on the variables isn't actually the case.

Last edited:

edgarrian

Reaction score
You really didnt think the dealer would offer you sticker for your truck? Or come in 5k under sticker. It never works that way. It always depends on the purchaser. Your ability to negotiate everything. As well as the most important part and that's your financial awareness. Are you the type to string out vehicle payments for long periods of time, minimal down payments. Those two scenarios are killers finiancially.

You can tell everyone the fantastic price you got for the truck you purchased but if your financing for 7 years at 3 percent your deal is horrible. Not saying thats what happened im just saying its easy to say. I have a friend that does this very thing. Brags about his purchasing price and then you start asking questions the deal is horrible. My in-laws oddly enough don't negotiate anything. They are what the dealers like to see walking in. They get offered the incentives but do NOT negotiate for more. Her mom always brags about the great price they got. But then they always are upside down. I never say anything b/c its not my place.

About 9 years ago my in-laws purchased a newly constructed home. Very nice home. Oak cabinets and trim. Attached garage. Ranch style. The real estate agent told them that the house would continue to increase in value (above average) due to a medical place that was supposedly considering this county for there business. It was basically a done deal is what the agent told my wife parents. So for those reasons alone they did not negotiate the price of the house. They paid full price. I was blown away. They ended up moving away and took a bath. The medical place never ended up moving into the county. Im shocked b/c my parents are the same age and I learned negotiations from my dad. I always assumed thats what the older generation did. I was wrong

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Sure, just your title makes it sound like Rebel has unusually low resale which based on the variables isn't actually the case.
You really didnt think the dealer would offer you sticker for your truck? Or come in 5k under sticker. It never works that way. It always depends on the purchaser. Your ability to negotiate everything. As well as the most important part and that's your financial awareness. Are you the type to string out vehicle payments for long periods of time, minimal down payments. Those two scenarios are killers finiancially.

You can tell everyone the fantastic price you got for the truck you purchased but if your financing for 7 years at 3 percent your deal is horrible. Not saying thats what happened im just saying its easy to say. I have a friend that does this very thing. Brags about his purchasing price and then you start asking questions the deal is horrible. My in-laws oddly enough don't negotiate anything. They are what the dealers like to see walking in. They get offered the incentives but do NOT negotiate for more. Her mom always brags about the great price they got. But then they always are upside down. I never say anything b/c its not my place.

About 9 years ago my in-laws purchased a newly constructed home. Very nice home. Oak cabinets and trim. Attached garage. Ranch style. The real estate agent told them that the house would continue to increase in value (above average) due to a medical place that was supposedly considering this county for there business. It was basically a done deal is what the agent told my wife parents. So for those reasons alone they did not negotiate the price of the house. They paid full price. I was blown away. They ended up moving away and took a bath. The medical place never ended up moving into the county. Im shocked b/c my parents are the same age and I learned negotiations from my dad. I always assumed thats what the older generation did. I was wrong

I negotiate for a living and pay cash on every transaction. Just a bit blown away that my truck is worth $20K less than it's sticker price in less than 6 months. That's the optics for truck shoppers. You can get significantly better deals on Ram trucks over the other domestics. The fallout of this business practice is that shows (falsely) massive depreciation of Ram's products. Initially speaking, every new truck buyer leaves the dealership with an inflated feeling of getting such a great deal, which I suppose is why Ram does what they do. But it's just an emotional game. Imo it would be better to lower the MSRP of these trucks. feel bad for those who go into a dealership and get raped at sticker, or $1500 off and financed to the hilt.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I negotiate for a living and pay cash on every transaction. Just a bit blown away that my truck is worth $20K less than it's sticker price in less than 6 months. That's the optics for truck shoppers. You can get significantly better deals on Ram trucks over the other domestics. The fallout of this business practice is that shows (falsely) massive depreciation of Ram's products. Initially speaking, every new truck buyer leaves the dealership with an inflated feeling of getting such a great deal, which I suppose is why Ram does what they do. But it's just an emotional game. Imo it would be better to lower the MSRP of these trucks. feel bad for those who go into a dealership and get raped at sticker, or $1500 off and financed to the hilt.

Unfortunately purchasing a vehicle is much like shopping at kohl's. MSRP pricing for your clothes was 349.00 but you only paid 122.00. Its stupid and I agree with you.

The Tundra that I traded off was a 2015 double cab 4*4. Had 65k miles. I got 22k for trade in. The title was mine and had been after the first year of ownership. I paid 33k. I really contemplated on keeping the truck for a few years more but I didnt want to keep losing value. I checked back at the dealer to see what their asking price was for it as I thought they would have put a price tag of around28 for it but they had it for 26,450. I was a bit surprised but taking into consideration it wasn't a crew cab is probably why. I couldn't even tell you what the sticker was on that truck now. I think it was 38k.

As you pointed out Ram inflates those MSRP numbers so you get that wonderful feeling of getting 10k off. Just as Kohl's does. Its probably why kohl's still in business. Its an excellent sales strategy. I make fun of it every time we go there.

R

Rob5589

But you didn't pay msrp. Suggested being the key word. You should look at what the dealer paid for it to get the full picture. They aren't going to get even close to their new price for a used truck. They are in it to profit from the transaction. Makes absolutely no sense for them to do it any other way. If anyone is paying msrp, they are doing it wrong.

They could lower msrp, like you suggested but, buyers would not feel like they got a great deal if they only saved 2000 vs 15000. Even if the end price was the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

clazer

Reaction score
It’s not the Rebel, it’s any vehicle that you drive off the lot then decide to sell that year. If you might change your mind, do a lease or buy a used vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pribilof

Reaction score

My Rebel depreciated roughly $12k below sticker from the time it rolled off the transport truck to the time I signed for it 2 weeks later!

Users who are viewing this thread